Author Topic: Real gym study shows no that gyms do not pose a greater risk than other places  (Read 3019 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!

I guess some of these liberal Democratic politicians that 'refer' to studies and science are now wondering how to keep the gyms close for their own agenda! Enough and open business' all over the USA.

==================================
From A Study in Norway
==================================

Like many countries, Norway ordered all gyms to close in March to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. But unlike any other nation, Norway also funded a rigorous study to determine whether the closings were really necessary. It is apparently the first and only randomized trial to test whether people who work out at gyms with modest restrictions are at greater risk of infection from the coronavirus than those who do not. The tentative answer after two weeks: no. So this week, responding to the study it funded, Norway reopened all of its gyms, with the same safeguards in place that were used in the study.

Is there hope for gymgoers in other parts of the world? “I personally think this is generalizable, with one caveat,” said Dr. Michael Bretthauer, a cancer screening expert at the University of Oslo who led the study with Dr. Mette Kalager. “There may be places where there is a lot of COVID or where people are less inclined to follow restrictions.” Norway is bringing its epidemic under control, and the number of new infections has fallen. But the incidence of the infection in Oslo, where the study was conducted, resembles that in such cities as Boston, Oklahoma City and Trenton, New Jersey. The trial, begun May 22, included five gyms in Oslo with 3,764 members, ages 18 to 64, who did not have underlying medical conditions. Half of the members — 1,896 people — were invited to go back to their gyms and work out.

They were required to wash their hands and to maintain social distancing: 3 feet apart for floor exercises, and 6 feet apart in high-intensity classes. The subjects could use the lockers but not the saunas or the showers. They were not asked to wear masks.

Another 1,868 gym members served as a comparison group; they were not permitted to return to their gyms. During the two weeks of the study, 79.5% of the members invited to use their gyms went at least once, while 38.4% went more than six times. Some were overjoyed to restart their routines.

https://www.mcall.com/coronavirus/sns-nyt-coronavirus-gyms-fitness-20200626-ydd2g3epjbh7dlo7b7tvwtuaam-story.html

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
this is what really pisses me off, in my state right now almost everything is open

so 100 assholes can get together in a bar, drink fart and piss and puke on each other, but yet  a gym is more dangerous,  the only place in my gym that people are close to each other are the tread mills which , can be easily be spaced out, if people train alone like i and most people and not those prima donna instagram turds like ohearn and callum von cock gobbler,  i am pretty sure the gym is very safe,    i have no idea when gyms will reopen in my state

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
All the permabulkers with high BP, borderline diabetes and high levels of creatinine and liver enzymes should probably up the dose to recover their gainz ASAP.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
I bought a dozen cinderblocks and some bags of concrete and a 9 foot 1inch iron pipe. Since the owner of my gym has misplaced his manhood i foresee me working out at home for quite a while.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
The gym market as well as many other business markets (supplement stores, etc) are done because of this stupid shutdown.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
Overweight, middle aged schmoes have nothing to fear.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Health clubs are safer than you think
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 10:37:30 PM »
My belief before all this started.

https://www.ihrsa.org/improve-your-club/industry-news/research-shows-health-clubs-are-safer-than-you-think/#

Research Shows Health Clubs Are Safer Than You Think - Contrary to popular belief, early research suggests health clubs may pose no additional risk in transmitting coronavirus compared to other public places.

But recent data provides some early indication that there may be a low possibility of coronavirus exposure in fitness facilities implementing social distancing and other safety measures.

First Study of Its Kind Reveals No Additional Risk of Coronavirus at Gyms
Interesting new research out of the University of Oslo found no COVID-19 cases associated with fitness centers in a randomized trial of reopening fitness facilities.

The study included 3,764 fitness club members, ages 18-64, with no known risk factors for severe COVID-19. Participants were randomized to have access to one of five reopened fitness centers in Oslo, Norway, or to have no access to a fitness center (control group). Participants submitted a COVID-19 test after two weeks.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
trouble is the damage is done. the gym business was always risky at best, i'm talking dollars and cents not health risk factors. i'm afraid this is the death knell for many gyms.
F

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.

Yeah, Ron will be fine.

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV

Describing yours fat arab ass  ;D

Where is that fatwa,  :D.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Gyms are open in Oregon. When I stopped by L.A. Fitness to check the hours of operation mid-afternoon last Wednesday, it appeared there were fewer people working out than prior to gyms being shutdown. The same was true for an independent gym which I go to that opened a couple of weeks ago. From what I could see, no one was wearing a mask. The 24 Hour Fitness  near me is also open. I have yet to go there so I don't know how busy they are. They are not currently open 24 hours as before. Their hours of operation are posted as being 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. L.A. Fitness has shorter hours as well. Oregon City Nautilus Plus is almost back to their old schedule. They are open from 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, closing at 9:00 p.m. on Friday, 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and 5:00 p.m. on Sunday.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
You don't need a gym. Literally a set of white leotards, a mirrored wall, and a handrail are all you need. I bet the squat world record holder couldn't do a single pliay-au-puf.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
Gyms have been opened for over 2 months here

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
You don't need a gym. Literally a set of white leotards, a mirrored wall, and a handrail are all you need. I bet the squat world record holder couldn't do a single pliay-au-puf.

Plié (did you mean au poof instead of au puf) Which might translate to a shitty plié. Here's a riddle, how many legs does a set of white leotards have? Or is a set a bunch of pairs. Does one wear all the sets of leotards at once?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
I go to LA Fitness in St. Petersburg Fl. While they have a sign on the door that says "Masks required at all times" due to the latest mask mandate by the city there is a *Wink* small print below that says "Unless you are working out" so while you have to wear the mask at the check in desk you can take it off immediately. I have been going about 3 weeks and I always wear my mask. At first I was about the only one. No one was cleaning machines with any consistency but I always figured that's on me to clean any machine prior to using it. I am happy to say that since Florida has spiked through the roof because of the lack of following guidelines, I'd say in the last week I've seen mask use at about 50%.   

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Miami-Dade mayor to allow gyms, fitness studios to remain open

MIAMI (WSVN) - Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez will now allow gyms to remain open in the county.

The mayor made the announcement on Twitter, Tuesday morning, reversing course from a statement he made on Monday.

“We’re all happy to comply, yes!” Salam Hachem, of She Fitness Studio, said.

Gyms were initially included in the types of businesses required to shut down in Miami-Dade beginning Wednesday.

However, Gimenez said that he came to a compromise on the matter and that people heading to the gyms will be required to wear masks the entire time they are inside the facility.

“Do I want to close the gyms? No, I didn’t want to close the gyms,” Gimenez said. “That’s why I found a compromise. It’s not about the cases that we know came from gyms or from restaurants, it’s about the fact that being able to keep the mask on in an interior space.”

The decision comes on the same day another 2,066 COVID-19 cases were reported in Miami-Dade County by the Florida Department of Health.

“We were freaked out yesterday, just because we didn’t expect that,” Gabriel Varona, of Stunna’s Fit, said. “No proof, no purpose, you know? It was like, ‘Why? Everything else is open.’ You know, Target, Home Depot, I mean, the malls are open! We understand that this is serious. Trust me, we’re all well aware, but we have to have a fighting chance to survive.”

Ballrooms, banquet facilities, party venues, short-term rentals and indoor dining rooms at restaurants will still be forced to close on Thursday.

“I just couldn’t find a way to keep restaurants open. It’s impossible,” Gimenez said.

Outdoor dining at restaurants will still be available, with no more than four people to a table. Takeout and delivery orders will still be allowed.

“I’m starting to get really concerned,” Igor Ferraro said. “This restaurant has many orders that are not meant to be takeout or delivery restaurants, you know?”

“If this continues to go on for as long as it’s gone on now and go further, our businesses will shut down permanently,” a woman said.

Gimenez said his decision came after what he called a “huge spike” in residents testing positive in mid-June, saying that is the time when gyms reopened, restrictions for restaurant operating hours were lifted and protests were occurring following the death of George Floyd.

“This contagion really took off with that young demographic, 18 to 34, 35 to 45 age group,” said the mayor. “It just shot up, and now we’re seeing the results of that.”

Meanwhile, State Rep. Shevrin Jones, D-Broward County, said he’s been fighting COVID-19 for around eight days.

“This morning I’m feeling just a tad bit better,” said Jones.

Jones said he’d like to see more changes being made statewide.

“If Broward is not following Miami-Dade County and Palm Beach is not following Broward County, all you’re going to see is individuals getting on 95 and traveling up north to go to dinner or to do other things, and so there should be a stay at home order until these numbers come back down,” he said.

Gimenez and his office are working to finalize the emergency order.

No changes are being made for Broward County as of Tuesday night.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-dade-mayor-to-allow-gyms-fitness-studios-to-remain-open/?fbclid=IwAR1lOyfzMbzbtOfyG0BautcTGyEb4jJ-orrIztdPq3MC8YaKnbmXUA0zr9I

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
“This shows us that low-prevalence environments are safe for gyms and probably just about everything else,” said Dr. Gordon Guyatt, a professor of medicine at McMaster University in Canada. “It is very unlikely you will get infected.”

“If you were in a different environment where there is a substantially higher prevalence, we don’t know what will happen,” he added.

But Jon Zelner, an epidemiologist at the University of Michigan, did not find the study to be fully convincing: “These findings don’t tell me that going to the gym isn’t riskier than not going to the gym, even in Oslo,” he said.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
ron started a thread about the gym

I'm gonna start a thread about not having a big nose

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
ron started a thread about the gym

I'm gonna start a thread about not having a big nose
Lol ...my fellow Roman beaked paisan

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
Lol ...my fellow Roman beaked paisan

funny fact- women never make fun of my nose....if anything they think I'm very rich or can get them into hollywood

okay--it wasn't really funny or even a fact per se

che

• Getbig V
The gym market as well as many other business markets (supplement stores, etc) are done because of this stupid shutdown.
That's fine , just wait for  Amazon gym and supplement store coming soon to a  neighborhood near you.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
That's fine , just wait for  Amazon gym and supplement store coming soon to a  neighborhood near you.
I already get my supps on Amazon and I've got all the equipment I need.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
NJ GYMS NADA...

thebrink

• Getbig V
I bought a dozen cinderblocks and some bags of concrete and a 9 foot 1inch iron pipe. Since the owner of my gym has misplaced his manhood i foresee me working out at home for quite a while.

Nice. I've been using buckets of rocks , a curling bar and doing front squats with flag stones. Been maintaining all my size mostly.