Author Topic: How many of you train a bodypart more than once a week?  (Read 9973 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
How many of you train a bodypart more than once a week?
« on: July 09, 2020, 01:59:16 PM »
I remember the days when the norm was training a bodypart 2 to 3 times a week. Now it seems the standard is once a week.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
Re: How many of you train a bodypart more than once a week?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
I remember the days when the norm was training a bodypart 2 to 3 times a week. Now it seems the standard is once a week.

Every 4th day works well for me. Then every 5th week I take a week off.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 02:09:25 PM »
Try it for Brief periods But always go back to once a week

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
Once a week hiit.but imat a plateau level

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »
Stubborn body parts I work out 2 times per week with completely different exercises. Amazing what proper form will do.

"1"

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 02:39:19 PM »
Always. Mostly because I don't want to deal with severe doms I'd get from a once a week split.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 02:40:49 PM »
Forgot to add to earlier post exception is back which 9 times out of 10 is trained twice per week, day on priority to a rowing movement followed by a pulldown and day 2 reverse it start with a chin movement and finish with a row.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
It's all about volume and recovery. 

- Fewer sets need less recovery time, which means you can train more often. 

- More sets/volume needs more recovery time, which means you cannot train as often.

I favor higher volume workouts and training body parts once every 5-6 days with days off in between for maximum recovery.   

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 03:05:51 PM »

I still do .........depends of weather,location,................

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 03:07:25 PM »
My chest sucks. I train it once a week with typical dumbbells and barbells and machines.

But, every day, I do 4 sets of pushups or 4 sets of resistant bands presses before bed.
X

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »
I train 3 x week full-body.

Anywhere from 2-6 sets for a bodypart per workout.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 03:24:00 PM »
I train 3 x week full-body.

Anywhere from 2-6 sets for a bodypart per workout.

I never got into full body workouts. I train one body part per day. Ive tried training full body, but it never felt right. I felt like I was too scattered. I like getting a total pump in one bodypart for that day. It's probably all in my head.
X

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »
I train a body part every 4th to 5th day.  Twenty years ago once a week offseason, twice a week from 12 weeks out.
Then I don't train heavy anymore either, too easy to get injured. Without the 100mg TRT weekly, Its once a week without which is at least two periods per year.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 04:00:56 PM »
What weird is when I was 19-20 and first got into weight lifting, I was training body parts with only 48 hours rest before doing that body part again. Fast forward a few years and I started juicing a bit and did that for two years off and on, and could never replicate the metabolism or whatever it was when I first started training. I always figured it was because the weight I was pushing at the beginning was not as heavy and thus couldn’t break the muscle down the same way. But, I’m not sure if resistance is resistance and your muscles can’t tell the difference in weight. I figured it couldn’t be the amount of test you have at 19, because at 21 I used 500mg week of sustanon and then a few cycles after that, so there’s no way I’d naturally have that much running naturally. Who knows, either way, I can’t do the shit now. Once a week or every 7-8 days with a rest. Although I am riding a bike daily.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 04:14:00 PM »
Forearms and calves twice a week

Abs couple sets every night before bed

Chest,shoulders,legs and back every 6-7 days

Arms every 8 days.

Sometimes I’ll get on a run and joints don’t hurt that bad and I might get twice a week for everything but that’s maybe 2-3 weeks out of 10-12 weeks.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »
I train body parts directly once a week but I do other athletic stuff outside of bodybuilding. Truth be told even though there is indirect work for other body parts when training a body part once a week, twice a week or even three times seems to work better. On Monday I will hit back and chest. The pulling and pushing hits the triceps/biceps hard. When I get to Friday and hit them directly it's really twice a week. Legs get trained twice. Once on leg day and again on back day where I insert deadlifts or Olympic lifts. I could go on with over lap.

Iron nat says he trains the whole body three times a week. It's an outstanding why to train for a natural. Many say it's a beginner workout but in reality it's the absolutely the hardest way to train. Splits are easier. Training everything in one workout is brutal even with limiting the amount of exercises. One definite plus is that if you train three times a week it means you hit a body part naturally three times a week. With a split I love doing a variety of exercises but in reality is that really needed for athletic function?  Maybe for bodybuilding. I know fans of bodybuilding speak of mid range exercises, peak and stretch exercises that can be covered with a split doing three to four exercises a body part but it certainly isn't needed to be a better athlete. Many a football player have only used  a power clean, squat and something like a military press to improve explosiveness and strength. Doing four bicep exercises would be a waste of time for an athlete but valuable for a bodybuilder.

Here's my last two cents on the topic if you're reading this far. When I do chins as part of my back routine I progress on them at a snails pace doing them once a week. Typical back lat routine is something like pull ups, seated lat row, dumbbell row and pulldowns. When I was doing pullups three times a week I rapidly increased reps.  So yes, twice a week is better than once. Three times is better than twice. Maybe only fractionally but it's better.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 07:24:40 PM »

Only calves and abs

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 07:31:33 PM »
A routine I've successfully followed for years calls for training one major body part a day. It is 6 days on and 1 day off. For me, the only downside is that I associate the exercises with certain days. When I miss a workout day, it throws me off track. As a senior, having a long recovery time seems ideal since I definitely don't snap back as quickly a I used to.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 07:07:29 AM »
I don't even schedule off days....I workout 7 days a week about an hour after I wake up.

If I need a day off its usually for a schedule conflict and that only happens about once a month.

You are not a professional athlete...you are a lifter...no such thing as overtraining for a lifter

Bench

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 07:15:03 AM »
I don't even schedule off days....I workout 7 days a week about an hour after I wake up.

If I need a day off its usually for a schedule conflict and that only happens about once a month.

You are not a professional athlete...you are a lifter...no such thing as overtraining for a lifter

Bench

How old?  Natty or user?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 07:17:21 AM »
How old?  Natty or user?
Mid 30's...haven't used anything in over 10 years

Benvh

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 07:18:56 AM »
no such thing as overtraining for a lifter

Bench

Never understood that comment. Sure you can over train - stressing your body to the point it decompensates. It's even measurable by the amount of cortisol your body produces.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 07:39:57 AM »
Mid 30's...haven't used anything in over 10 years

Benvh

You have approximately 5-10 years before you start feeling old.  Enjoy it while you can.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 07:44:29 AM »
Never understood that comment. Sure you can over train - stressing your body to the point it decompensates. It's even measurable by the amount of cortisol your body produces.
Are you a professional athlete? No...you will never overtrain...that terrible feeling you have when you work out too much is 2 things:

1) your mind
2) you are in terrible fucking shape and justify it by saying it’s overtraining

I took two months off of work about 2 years ago and everyday I woke up and ran 10 miles...then worked out modified Sheiko(with daily accessories), then road my bike almost 30’miles every day!

This was every day for 2 months...never hit overtraining..never had any of this other bullshit that lazy people claim. I walked out of that 2 months learning a lot and in the best natural shape I’ve ever been in.

The only machines I used were reverse hyper, and tricep rope push downs...everything else was free weights.

I also alternated the workout every week. If I did flat bench this day, I would do incline the next day..conventional squats today, box squats the next time...

People are just lazy, out of shape, and refuse to adhere to proper nutrition.

Bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 07:47:07 AM »
You have approximately 5-10 years before you start feeling old.  Enjoy it while you can.
Bro, I have 2 fake disk in my back, a fake right knee, just got over my 3rd rotator cuff surgery, have plates in my feet and ribs...I’m already feeling old...I just push thru lol

If I was born in the 20’s I would have been dead a long time ago lol

In 5 years I will likely be on a generous trt regiment, so that will curve it a bit.

Bench