Author Topic: How many of you train a bodypart more than once a week?  (Read 9779 times)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: How many of you train a bodypart more than once a week?
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 08:30:31 AM »
Never understood that comment. Sure you can over train - stressing your body to the point it decompensates. It's even measurable by the amount of cortisol your body produces.
My current routine..and the routine I kind of always used except in moments of getting ready for a meet or some other shit
Day 1:
Flat Bench or incline Bench..but never The workout 2 workout in a row...30 reps for all warm up sets..then as many reps as possible For all working sets...I do not count them, but when I do count I try to confuse myself because the number messes with me...I add weight until I can only squeak out a rep or 2..I don’t count sets

Pin presses...I use the opposite angle of the first movement and start with 70% of my max and keep adding weight until the bar stops moving...I do these in sets of 3....might do up to 20 sets...Again, I don’t count them.

Then I do accessories...I do an arm movement everyday...so today would be 1 or 2 tricep movements. I rarely go over 60 reps..then forearm rolls and some abs.

I’m not going to list out every day, but it’s all like this...I swap out movements and blast the shit out of it..I work reps and super heavy statics and do accessories.

I don’t have time for cardio right now as this type of workout takes 2 hours or so, but cardio isn’t really needed...I love in Texas and my whole powerlifting setup is in the NON air conditioned part of my barn...so, it get well over 100 degrees in there..I sweat through my damn shoe laces.

And I weigh everything I eat.

Bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 08:31:28 AM »
Were you in an accident?
Many! Almost none of those surgeries have anything to do with each other!

Bench

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 09:03:27 AM »
Are you a professional athlete? No...you will never overtrain...that terrible feeling you have when you work out too much is 2 things:

1) your mind
2) you are in terrible fucking shape and justify it by saying it’s overtraining

I took two months off of work about 2 years ago and everyday I woke up and ran 10 miles...then worked out modified Sheiko(with daily accessories), then road my bike almost 30’miles every day!

This was every day for 2 months...never hit overtraining..never had any of this other bullshit that lazy people claim. I walked out of that 2 months learning a lot and in the best natural shape I’ve ever been in.

The only machines I used were reverse hyper, and tricep rope push downs...everything else was free weights.

I also alternated the workout every week. If I did flat bench this day, I would do incline the next day..conventional squats today, box squats the next time...

People are just lazy, out of shape, and refuse to adhere to proper nutrition.

Bench

I raced at national level bicycle racing for the better part of 15 years. I learned a great deal about my body and response to exercise and it continues to this day. In my case I could only train intensely every 96 hours - 1 day hard followed by three days very easy. This formula worked very well and I showed steady progress to the point I raced and did well against Tour de France and World Championship level riders.

Prior to that I used to go hard often and after a few early years of no results I was ready to give up on the sport. Then I read about the work of Hans Selye- where that graphic I posted is derived from.

To me, there is no point in beating up my body unless there is a super compensation effect. What you call lazy I call smart. Different strokes for different folks.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »
I raced at national level bicycle racing for the better part of 15 years. I learned a great deal about my body and response to exercise and it continues to this day. In my case I could only train intensely every 96 hours - 1 day hard followed by three days very easy. This formula worked very well and I showed steady progress to the point I raced and did well against Tour de France and World Championship level riders.

Prior to that I used to go hard often and after a few early years of no results I was ready to give up on the sport. Then I read about the work of Hans Selye- where that graphic I posted is derived from.

To me, there is no point in beating up my body unless there is a super compensation effect. What you call lazy I call smart. Different strokes for different folks.
Your talking about training maximumally...you can still work out ever day and donut optimally...

What I am saying is that a standard lifter or get bigger will never achieve overtraining with any of these cookie cutter bullshit workout routines.

Legit athletes(like what you did) can hit overtraining.

Bench

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2020, 09:46:04 AM »
I train body parts directly once a week but I do other athletic stuff outside of bodybuilding. Truth be told even though there is indirect work for other body parts when training a body part once a week, twice a week or even three times seems to work better. On Monday I will hit back and chest. The pulling and pushing hits the triceps/biceps hard. When I get to Friday and hit them directly it's really twice a week. Legs get trained twice. Once on leg day and again on back day where I insert deadlifts or Olympic lifts. I could go on with over lap.

Iron nat says he trains the whole body three times a week. It's an outstanding why to train for a natural. Many say it's a beginner workout but in reality it's the absolutely the hardest way to train. Splits are easier. Training everything in one workout is brutal even with limiting the amount of exercises. One definite plus is that if you train three times a week it means you hit a body part naturally three times a week. With a split I love doing a variety of exercises but in reality is that really needed for athletic function?  Maybe for bodybuilding. I know fans of bodybuilding speak of mid range exercises, peak and stretch exercises that can be covered with a split doing three to four exercises a body part but it certainly isn't needed to be a better athlete. Many a football player have only used  a power clean, squat and something like a military press to improve explosiveness and strength. Doing four bicep exercises would be a waste of time for an athlete but valuable for a bodybuilder.

Here's my last two cents on the topic if you're reading this far. When I do chins as part of my back routine I progress on them at a snails pace doing them once a week. Typical back lat routine is something like pull ups, seated lat row, dumbbell row and pulldowns. When I was doing pullups three times a week I rapidly increased reps.  So yes, twice a week is better than once. Three times is better than twice. Maybe only fractionally but it's better.
You are absolutely right about full body workouts being brutal.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »

Never knew you were an elite athlete. Did you know Kalman the 1976 Mr. America and the guy that beat Mentzer in the Universe competed at a high age group level in bike racing? 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »
Bill Pearl competed in racing as well.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2020, 10:00:51 AM »
This guy too, Joe Means. In the 1976 Mr. America that Kalman won Joe won best legs. He rides a bike for a ridiculous amount of miles per week. He recently had a bad bike crash.  He competes in  triathlons a few years ago.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2020, 10:16:05 AM »
My current routine..and the routine I kind of always used except in moments of getting ready for a meet or some other shit
Day 1:
Flat Bench or incline Bench..but never The workout 2 workout in a row...30 reps for all warm up sets..then as many reps as possible For all working sets...I do not count them, but when I do count I try to confuse myself because the number messes with me...I add weight until I can only squeak out a rep or 2..I don’t count sets

Pin presses...I use the opposite angle of the first movement and start with 70% of my max and keep adding weight until the bar stops moving...I do these in sets of 3....might do up to 20 sets...Again, I don’t count them.

Then I do accessories...I do an arm movement everyday...so today would be 1 or 2 tricep movements. I rarely go over 60 reps..then forearm rolls and some abs.

I’m not going to list out every day, but it’s all like this...I swap out movements and blast the shit out of it..I work reps and super heavy statics and do accessories.

I don’t have time for cardio right now as this type of workout takes 2 hours or so, but cardio isn’t really needed...I love in Texas and my whole powerlifting setup is in the NON air conditioned part of my barn...so, it get well over 100 degrees in there..I sweat through my damn shoe laces.

And I weigh everything I eat.

Bench

You sound like quite the beast.  ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :) :) :)
X

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2020, 10:18:44 AM »
Never knew you were an elite athlete. Did you know Kalman the 1976 Mr. America and the guy that beat Mentzer in the Universe competed at a high age group level in bike racing?

He was West coast- most of my career was East coast to the Midwest and Canada. From what I read he was a pretty good criterium rider. Not sure if he is still at it though.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2020, 01:10:43 AM »
Only calves and abs

Only calves and abs once or twice a week? It wasn't clear to me.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 01:13:15 AM »
You sound like quite the beast.  ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :) :) :)
Sometimes I feel like it! Until I look at peoples numbers who actually do this shit for a living!

Today, not so much! I just woke up at 3am to workout and start my day...didn’t get enough water yesterday and feel like someone beat the shit out of me! Everything hurts!

Just had a caffeine pill and half a bronkaid, so that will wake me up and make me feel worse! Lol

Bench

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 01:14:11 AM »
Never understood that comment. Sure you can over train - stressing your body to the point it decompensates. It's even measurable by the amount of cortisol your body produces.

Same here. Over training is another way of saying that you are getting physically drained and not having enough recovery time. You don't even have to work out for that to happen.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 01:15:20 AM »
Only calves and abs once or twice a week? It wasn't clear to me.
I do abs everyday....but I switch between direct and indirect EOD

I do forearms EOD.

Every day I do either bi’s, or tri’s

Masturbate daily!

Don’t do calves at all!

Bench

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 01:17:30 AM »
Same here. Over training is another way of saying that you are getting physically drained and not having enough recovery time. You don't even have to work out for that to happen.
  :D  unless you´re ill or don´t eat properly ..made me howl though.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 01:19:52 AM »
Don’t blame poor life choices on the training.

Lack of sleep is not overtraining

Being out of shape is not overtraining

Lack of hydration is not overtraining

Lack of nutrition is not overtraining

Bodybuilders will never hit overtraining..the work load on the CNS load isn’t there!

Hell, powerlifters who do a lot more lifting with higher loads and sometimes volume who do extremely taxing CNS movements rarely hit overtraining...westside barbell doesn’t schedule days off! And regardless of what the internet tells you, those guys do extremely high volume in person.

Bench

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2020, 01:21:29 AM »
3-4 times per week but light and short.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 02:39:18 AM »
3-4 times per week but light and short.

You train each body part 3-4 times per week?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 03:43:15 AM »
As you get older, it becomes more about wear and tear. That’s why I think a minimum effective dosage training plan is the way to go.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2020, 03:49:37 AM »

Masturbate daily!

I didn't cum for 2 months recently. Tons of sex. Now that's some training.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2020, 04:08:51 AM »
No doesnt work for me. Not if I go heavy weights with absolute failure. In that case I need at least 5 days rest, probably 6 in the long run.

Maybe if I did one light weight day and one heavy failure day I could do every 3-4 or what ever but that is pointless imo anyways.

If I where to do steroids I could probably/most likely train more frequent.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2020, 05:28:49 AM »
I didn't cum for 2 months recently. Tons of sex. Now that's some training.
Bro....

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2020, 06:54:13 AM »
Bro, I have 2 fake disk in my back, a fake right knee, just got over my 3rd rotator cuff surgery, have plates in my feet and ribs...I’m already feeling old...I just push thru lol

If I was born in the 20’s I would have been dead a long time ago lol

In 5 years I will likely be on a generous trt regiment, so that will curve it a bit.

Bench

How do you like the fake discs? I have two that are degenerated and the arthritis is causing them to fuse naturally. The doctor told me that a natural fusion was the best scenerio for me because it’s non surgical. He said a surgical fusion was better than a disc replacement, although he said he recommended a European version that isn’t approved here yet. He said that disc replacement was better and that he travels abroad at times to perform the surgery.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2020, 06:59:34 AM »
Bro, I have 2 fake disk in my back, a fake right knee, just got over my 3rd rotator cuff surgery, have plates in my feet and ribs...I’m already feeling old...I just push thru lol

If I was born in the 20’s I would have been dead a long time ago lol

In 5 years I will likely be on a generous trt regiment, so that will curve it a bit.

Bench

Ouch.  Car accident or gym injuries? 

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2020, 07:00:08 AM »
How do you like the fake discs? I have two that are degenerated and the arthritis is causing them to fuse naturally. The doctor told me that a natural fusion was the best scenerio for me because it’s non surgical. He said a surgical fusion was better than a disc replacement, although he said he recommended a European version that isn’t approved here yet. He said that disc replacement was better and that he travels abroad at times to perform the surgery.
never heard of a natural fusion nor that a surgical fusion was better than disc replacement. I know a woman friend who had a disc replacement in the neck not sure exactly where but she said it´s good. she had no choice her arm was numb. so they had to operate. Fusion is the last thing i would do.