Author Topic: Always hear crap about how we need more affordable housing  (Read 5040 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Always hear crap about how we need more affordable housing
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2020, 06:38:23 PM »
U can get or make windows very cheap. U can use a shipping container and with a 150buc grinder cut out sky lights  u can make it very nice

Behr satin exterior paint 45 buck , high quality.
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2020, 06:53:32 PM »
Had to look up tar paper never realised It was roofing felt people actually make windows out it in this day and age?

I think bituminous paper has been conflated with actual felt, which is a sheet of animal fur and probably the product of choice before petroleum science. There was a builder online years ago who was a proponent of actual felt as a building wrap since it was vapor permeable but became impermeable to water with exposure (as the animal hair expanded with wetting, making the matrix impassable. Hair swelling is also why you don't use a bristle hair brush with water based paints). Can't remember what his objection to Tyvek was but the dude was proudly dinosaurish about it and insisted he was right.

Seems likely that merchants just kept calling any roofing underlay "felt" since that's what everyone knew it as. Probably got to the point where if a guy asked for felt underlay, and they gave him actual animal felt, he'd say wtf is this, I want some roofing felt, lol. Kind of like how most yanks will ask you for tin foil, and you hand them al foil, they'll say thanks that's exactly what I wanted.

Idk what Melvin is talking about. You can't make a window out of tar paper. A window is something which lets light in and you can see through when it's closed. That's how glass works, Vince.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »
First off....let’s separate the people who are homeless because of REAL mental illness from the people who are homeless because of drugs, laziness, or bad personal choices.

If you moved from Ohio to Seattle because you “dug the music scene”, have no education or skills, and can’t figure out why you can’t afford to live downtown when you only work 20 hours a week for $12/hr., then I don’t care if you live in a fucking tent at Chernobyl.

But I don’t believe that the federal government or any other state should indiscriminately or disproportionately bail out California for the mess they are in, or the third world meltdown they are headed towards. So no, I don’t think Governor Fuck-Up Newsom should be reaching into the pocket of Nebraska farmers, no more than rich people from Silicon Valley should be paying for 7 generations of family members on welfare in Chicago.

Dats raycissst.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2020, 06:56:11 PM »
So the hard working farmers in Nebraska would be forced to pay for a food, clothing, and shelter issue in Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco?

Technically nobody is paying for it because they are printing dollars to cover the already bankrupt system that has been long in place. The tax base is a joke with no balanced budget enforcement. They have proven that they don't even need taxes at this point. The whole idea of spending has decoupled from tax receipts, and the voters have no power to change it at this point.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2020, 06:57:39 PM »
   they would rather see people freeze than keep open a facility like ASH which is scheduled to be ripped down.  it was seen in the movie glass.                 

It is a beautiful looking building that ought to be preserved and given a purpose. Unfortunately, it can be considerably more expensive to repair, maintain and possibly covert existing older buildings than it is to demolish them and build new. Here in the west we are prone to earthquakes. Just making a structure earthquake sound, can more more expensive than replacing it.  It is a problem many schools face because they like it appears Allentown State Hospital is, are un-reinforced brick and mortar. Not to forget that clay brick disintegrates overtime. Beautiful, historic buildings don't last indefinitely.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2020, 09:05:54 PM »

Dats raycissst.

Well of course....in the year of our Lord 2020 AD I am considered a racist by the insane looney idiots on the left.

Now ask me if I care.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2020, 05:17:18 AM »
The real felt paper ive seen is used as the underlayment for a poured hot tar roof
A