Author Topic: Are the Blue-Rays worth it ?  (Read 12544 times)

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
Re: Are the Blue-Rays worth it ?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 07:39:29 AM »
You can use it (the PS3) as a Blu-Ray, DVD, Music, CD-R-player.

You can even store shit on the PS3 HD, like pics, movies, games etc stuff you download.

Hell, you can even surf the internet with it. Use it for chat/cam-sessions with random peeps (lol).

And someday you might even try to buy a game for it, like Guitar Hero : Metallica.

Summary, use a HDMI-cable from the PS3 to your HD-TV and watch Blu-rays. You will notice much better quality.

This guy gets it.  :)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:06 AM »
I agree.  A friend of mine works for Comcast and has a huge HDTV, Bluray player and many BR movies.  It is all noticeably better but not enough to make me run out and go BR.

If/when I am in the market for a new TV & player I would likely opt for a set up that can handle BR but right now, I am very satisfied with regular DVDs--which I rent and rip from Netflix.  I never buy DVDs which I see as a total waste of money.

I have a few friends with huge DVD collections and I'm like WTF?  If you could convert all those DVDs and BR disks back into the cash you spent on them wouldn't you rather have the money?  How many times do you really sit down and watch a movie that you own on DVD?  I think renting and ripping is the way to go.  The few DVDs I own were purchased for use in the classroom and they were written off as an academic expense.

Why are you ripping (off) Netflix videos so that you have a copy for yourself...while at the same time condemning those who have PAID for their DVDs?
C

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 07:49:14 AM »
Well Stavios, watch your rented n ripped CDs/DVDs on the PS3, then you can add me or gh15 on the Playstation Network and ask for some bodybuilding-tips.

No reason NOT to get a PS3.

I would wait a little longer.  Sony just took a bath financially.  I would think the PS3s price should drop into the $250 dollar range soon.  They'll have to move inventory.

Despite being an abysmal system for games, the PS3 is worth it as a blu-ray player/multimedia center, at $250.
Y

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 07:56:37 AM »
Totally worth the Blu-Ray player....I own a Sony 1080P and my sound system can accomodate Blu-Rays utilizing 7.1 channels.   Audio and video are noticeably improved.  It's not like the marginal difference in quality between standard DVD players and then those DVD players with progressive scan.  In addition, the upconversion feature does improve the quality of standard DVDs as well.   Certainly it ain't BD quality, but it's very good.   If you can pop for the player and have the needed equipment to work with it go for it.   Although, don't buy your HDMI cables at Best Buy or Circuit City...go online and look for discounted wires and cables...I bought 2 HDMI cables online for a total of $25 and both are equally as good as any Monster HDMI cable.  Also, buy speaker wire through Home Depot....I bought nice 12 gauge in-wall speaker wire there for about $.30/foot....again equally as good or better than any Monster speaker wire.

As always I'm here to help.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »
Totally worth the Blu-Ray player....I own a Sony 1080P and my sound system can accomodate Blu-Rays utilizing 7.1 channels.   Audio and video are noticeably improved.  It's not like the marginal difference in quality between standard DVD players and then those DVD players with progressive scan.  In addition, the upconversion feature does improve the quality of standard DVDs as well.   Certainly it ain't BD quality, but it's very good.   If you can pop for the player and have the needed equipment to work with it go for it.   Although, don't buy your HDMI cables at Best Buy or Circuit City...go online and look for discounted wires and cables...I bought 2 HDMI cables online for a total of $25 and both are equally as good as any Monster HDMI cable.  Also, buy speaker wire through Home Depot....I bought nice 12 gauge in-wall speaker wire there for about $.30/foot....again equally as good or better than any Monster speaker wire.

As always I'm here to help.
oh brother another getbig billionaire. ::) ;D

fluffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 08:04:16 AM »

I second the cheap HDMI cables. The signal is digital anyway so you will not have any difference in picture or sound quality, as long as there is a connection.
I get angry when I see people buying 200$ digital signal cables.  >:(
Why not by a 200$ USB cable to your mouse? Than the cursor will run much smoother. Oh brother.

Anyway - get a PS3!  ;)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 08:09:12 AM »
I second the cheap HDMI cables. The signal is digital anyway so you will not have any difference in picture or sound quality, as long as there is a connection.
I get angry when I see people buying 200$ digital signal cables.  >:(
Why not by a 200$ USB cable to your mouse? Than the cursor will run much smoother. Oh brother.

Anyway - get a PS3!  ;)

I have friends that have purchased $.10/foot lamp wire from Home Depot and used it as speaker wire....it's 10 or 12 gauge and they said it works fine....I went ahead and shelled the extra $.20/foot for the speaker wire....I ain't that brave.

Best Buy and Circuit City make their money on the super-inflated cables and wires....all you need is good shielded wire.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
Totally agree about the cables.

Try monoprice.com.  You should be able to get them for about 6-7 bucks.

Wait for the price drop on the PS3, though.
Y

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 08:10:57 AM »
oh brother another getbig billionaire. ::) ;D

Forgot to mention I enjoy my home system in my $3million home on my 200-acre estate with my harem of nymphomaniac swimsuit models.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 08:29:13 AM »

Blu-rays aren't selling nearly as well as Sony expected.

fluffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 08:29:31 AM »
I have friends that have purchased $.10/foot lamp wire from Home Depot and used it as speaker wire....it's 10 or 12 gauge and they said it works fine....I went ahead and shelled the extra $.20/foot for the speaker wire....I ain't that brave.

Best Buy and Circuit City make their money on the super-inflated cables and wires....all you need is good shielded wire.

The speaker wire is about the only one where I would look around for a matching wire. I take the cheapest one, but in this case the size matters.  ;)
Lamp wire can be enough for small speakers, but I would purchase a thicker cable for speakers if they are > 50W. I think you did just right.  ;)

I have a friend that threw 200$ out of the window for a digital cable between a cd player and a cd recorder. (years ago). Till this day I am making fun of him.

The price of these cables at those store is a total ripoff!

fluffy

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 08:32:47 AM »

People are just not in the mood to buy another version of the DVD they already have.
But I think a lot of people are just downloading their highres movies for free and do not buy these very expensive discs.

If you compare the amount of DVDs sold vs. the amount of Blu-rays it is clear that very few people are having a Blu-ray player. And they use the PS3 as a harddisc movie player!

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
;D

hey I am buying a house at the end of the year and she is comming to live with me anyway so it's a safe bet that the TV will be in my bedroom soon enough  ;D

Be sure to kick her out before two years is up otherwise she'll become common-law and your house will no longer be yours.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 08:40:32 AM »

It's a harder switch from DVD to Blu-ray than from VHS to DVD. (when DVD still works so well for people, satisfying their needs)

Time will tell. There are more and more Movie-connoisseurs (who require better quality/want to maximize their homesystems) coming out of the woodwork these days.
Q

www.BrinkZone.com

• Getbig III
  • This Thing On?
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 08:42:36 AM »
speak on this fellas.

I bought my girlfriend a samsung Tv 1080 full hd shiznit but she has a regular DVD player.
so I was wondering if there was a big difference between blue-ray and regular dvds or it's only 5-10% better ?

speak on this, people in the know !

Depends on the movie they put on Bluray, depends on how into it you are, etc. Some would consider 10% a big difference and so on. Yes, bluray looks and sounds better then standard DVDs, but your electronics have to be good enough to benefit from it also.

- Will @ BrinkZone.com

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »
speak on this fellas.

I bought my girlfriend a samsung Tv 1080 full hd shiznit but she has a regular DVD player.
so I was wondering if there was a big difference between blue-ray and regular dvds or it's only 5-10% better ?

speak on this, people in the know !

:-\ :'(

I hope you are taking the TV with you when you break up.
HAHA, RON.....

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »
;D

hey I am buying a house at the end of the year and she is comming to live with me anyway so it's a safe bet that the TV will be in my bedroom soon enough  ;D

Why dont you buy a trailer and become the canadian version of trailerfather  :) :) :)

As for jew ray, go for it big guy, just go for it, benz approved.

also spend some cash in decent cables, if your sound equipment/tv got optical fiber connection, use those.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 09:03:44 AM »
My bro got me a samsung blu-ray player for Christmas. Compared to my sony up converting dvd player, it is a huge step up. Contrast and color is amazing. I am going to only by blu-ray's movies that are loaded with special effects tho.
A

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »
In five years there will be some new must-have media format that manages to sell you the same fucking films/albums for the 4th time!
O

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »
Absolutely. Purchased No Country for Old Men yesterday and it is brilliant quality.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »
In five years there will be some new must-have media format that manages to sell you the same fucking films/albums for the 4th time!

Much less time than that.  HD downloadable content will become more and more popular.
Y

@Brandon

• Getbig III
  • Functional muscle.
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 10:00:58 AM »
Yes blueray is better.

A regular blue ray disc player is pretty useless IMHO.

Like the others said, get good cables, optical for sound etc.

I bought a PS3 and don't play games, just using it
as a multimedia center and blue ray player.
Bought a full HD player as well but never played any full HD discs on it.

At first I really liked the blue ray quality.

I even bought a laptop with blue ray player and HDMI out
so I could use it on the bedroom TV as well.

But the Blue Ray selection is not that good over here, even good downloadable 1080p is
still a bit limited on the net due to large media files and unstable lines.

Now I watch way more normal media than BR.

Before you get one, look around how much Blueray media that are available in your area.

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
I have a 72inch LCD screen and a blu-ray player to go with it, and I gotta say that its totally worth it.  Some movies I just don't buy on blu-ray tho.  For instance I DEFINITELY got The Dark Knight on blu-ray (looks amazing), but I got the regular version of Pineapple Express b/c the blu-ray player up-converts really well.  I'll also start buying the Criterion new releases in blu-ray b/c the quality they put out are unbelievable especially for older releases.

Mrdibbs

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »

Hahah indeed hilarious, everytime you see one more wrinkle or zit on an actors face its worth the 20 bucks.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 10:55:35 AM »
There were army of people that fought the VHS to DVD switch...what's the point they would say?   There are an army of people that are fighting the analog vs digital signal switch.  I look at it as an investment because the older I get the more settled in my home I become.   I'm spending more and more time at home and with consistently increasing availability of BD material via Walmart, Best Buy, Blockbuster and Netflix I have a better movie experience at home than I do in theaters now.   I can easily say that the a/v in my home is ahead of the best theaters in my area and I by no means have a lavish setup.