Author Topic: Rubber Band added to Bench Press?  (Read 3077 times)

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
Rubber Band added to Bench Press?
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:42:23 AM »
Saw someone add rubber bands to a free weight bench and then proceed to bench 315 for a strong 2.

The setup was similar to the picture below.

Exactly what does the addition of the band accomplish besides making the resistance different? Does anyone here do this on a regular basis?
The answer is "yes".

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
Re: Rubber Band added to Bench Press?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:20:40 AM »
Ive seen it used by a college ball player at my gym, and yes, hes as big as a house, and strong as a bull.
The idea is increased resistance as the bar travels higher, making the easier part of the lift harder. Good for getting past the sticking point, and traing for explosiveness. Or so ive heard ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:22:47 AM »
It also increase the downward pressure to help increase tendon usage and strength.

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »
I do those a lot. They help get you used to benching in a shirt without actully training in a shirt and build explosive power on the bench. Its a dynamic resistance. The red bands in the pic are about 45lbs each. The setup I use is put a 120lb dumbell at each side of the bench and loop the band underneath the handle. The loop each end over the end of the bar. The bar "weighs" 90lbs more at the top then at the bottom. It helps a lot on increasing bench strength both raw and shirted.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »
same as using chains

Steve Pulcinella

• Getbig II
  • www.ironsport.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
Same effect as chains on the bar. Make the bar lighter at the bottom and heavier at the top. Helps build bar speed and acceleration. I use them on a few exercises to build up speed for throwing. Great success!

tab1

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:30:33 PM »
Look up some powerlifting shit to learn more about bands, etc. Good info in alot of them like Westside Barbell or Diablo Barbell

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »
Saw someone add rubber bands to a free weight bench and then proceed to bench 315 for a strong 2.

The setup was similar to the picture below.

Exactly what does the addition of the band accomplish besides making the resistance different? Does anyone here do this on a regular basis?

I use bands (and chains) all the time in with bench press and squats during the strength periodazation with my athletes. I'll explain the benefits later!

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 01:42:19 AM »
Which would be better for breaking a plateau? Bands or lockout bench press?

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 12:46:27 AM »
That's retarded. It does absolutely nothing. You might as well just add more weight.

On a flat bench press gravity is your resistance, you're going straight up and down. Adding a rubber band essentially just adds more resistance, the same as more weight would.
However, if you were using dumbbells it would be a totally different story since the resistance changes with the path of motion. On a straight bar your path of motion does not change.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
That's retarded. It does absolutely nothing. You might as well just add more weight.

On a flat bench press gravity is your resistance, you're going straight up and down. Adding a rubber band essentially just adds more resistance, the same as more weight would.
However, if you were using dumbbells it would be a totally different story since the resistance changes with the path of motion. On a straight bar your path of motion does not change.

elitefts.com and westside-barbell.com...

please..go educate yourself. just because bodybuilders don't use it on the regular doens't mean it's a worthless exercise technique or tool to have around.

all brawn and no brains huh?

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 10:31:40 AM »

What a freaking dip! Bands and chains give added resistance through the range of motion. A medium band can add 25 pounds at the bottom of the movement and up to 80 at the top, steadily going up or down as you move the weight. Go read up about it chump before you open those dick skinners again.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 04:47:23 PM »
What a freaking dip! Bands and chains give added resistance through the range of motion. A medium band can add 25 pounds at the bottom of the movement and up to 80 at the top, steadily going up or down as you move the weight. Go read up about it chump before you open those dick skinners again.

And how much do you bench wise guy??? Mr. edumicated  ::)

BTW, did you even READ what I wrote? I said that it adds resistence you knucklehead. You are right in that it will increase resistence as you press the weight higher, but what's the point?? To make you triceps stronger??? Is this for a powerlifting contest??? Cause I thought this was a "GetBIG" board ???

It does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOUR CHEST AT THE TOP OF THE MOTION!!!!!

Go ahead and add the rubber bands if you want. I thought the person who started this thread was actually looking for information NOT just stating something he already knows everything about. I guess I should have asked him what his goal was. If he would have said to increase my bench with a rubberband, i would have told him to go do some weighted dips instead!

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 05:16:28 PM »

And how much do you bench wise guy??? Mr. edumicated  ::)

BTW, did you even READ what I wrote? I said that it adds resistence you knucklehead. You are right in that it will increase resistence as you press the weight higher, but what's the point?? To make you triceps stronger??? Is this for a powerlifting contest??? Cause I thought this was a "GetBIG" board ???

It does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOUR CHEST AT THE TOP OF THE MOTION!!!!!

Go ahead and add the rubber bands if you want. I thought the person who started this thread was actually looking for information NOT just stating something he already knows everything about. I guess I should have asked him what his goal was. If he would have said to increase my bench with a rubberband, i would have told him to go do some weighted dips instead!

The original question was "what does it do?" To which you pompously responded,"That's retarded. It does absolutely nothing. You might as well just add more weight." Sorry if I read that differently than you thought I would, but to me it just sounded like a know it all dumb,dumb,hence my response. And how much do I bench, I'M THE STRONGEST MOTHERF#CKER ON GETBIG, LOOK AT MY TRAINING LOG, THEN YOU CAN COME BACK AND APOLOGIZE Until then, go fetch my slippers, boy!

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 05:26:05 PM »
The original question was "what does it do?" To which you pompously responded,"That's retarded. It does absolutely nothing. You might as well just add more weight." Sorry if I read that differently than you thought I would, but to me it just sounded like a know it all dumb,dumb,hence my response. And how much do I bench, I'M THE STRONGEST MOTHERF#CKER ON GETBIG, LOOK AT MY TRAINING LOG, THEN YOU CAN COME BACK AND APOLOGIZE Until then, go fetch my slippers, boy!

How much do you bench????

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 05:34:21 PM »

If you're going to quote me be sure to include ALL of it. next sentence...."Adding a rubber band essentially just adds more resistance,"

Pretty impressive training log. I have to say you have my respect. However, you are NOT the strongest here. I was doing 500 for 10 (raw) last year before I tore my pec. So no apology needed ;)

Do you use a rubber band in your training? Are you a powerlifter or bodybuilder? (Serious questions)

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 06:51:03 PM »
If you're going to quote me be sure to include ALL of it. next sentence...."Adding a rubber band essentially just adds more resistance,"

Pretty impressive training log. I have to say you have my respect. However, you are NOT the strongest here. I was doing 500 for 10 (raw) last year before I tore my pec. So no apology needed ;)

Do you use a rubber band in your training? Are you a powerlifter or bodybuilder? (Serious questions)

I just started training more like a powerlifter. Been in the gym for 15-16 years now straight, lifted like a traditional bodybuilder all that time. Just switched over to Westside recently for a change. And yes I do use chains and bands in my training now, and they do help alot with strength. I think you can probably put on as much mass powerlifting as bodybuilding, because it's all essentially the same, you know, just lifting weights at the end of the day. Powerlifting seems funner so far, get to play with PR's much more and its much more of a thinking mans game,planning weights and workouts 4-6 weeks in advance, instead of just trying to get a pump. I wasn't trying to f#ck with you earlier , just having fun by the way :)

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 09:53:05 PM »
I have a good friend of mine in Indiana that does a powerlifting routine. He uses the chains and He loves them.

He said the same thing, he has much more fun training like a powerlifter.

I've been bodybuilding since '89 and I train real heavy. I did Heavy Duty with Mike Mentzer in the early 90's. I LOVED it!! But my tendons were not getting as strong as fast as my muscles were. Then I started to get some joint pain and new it was time to change back to my conventional bodybuilding routines. There was nothing better than lifting more weight everytime you trained.

Do you compete as a powerlifter?

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 12:04:19 AM »
I have a good friend of mine in Indiana that does a powerlifting routine. He uses the chains and He loves them.

He said the same thing, he has much more fun training like a powerlifter.

I've been bodybuilding since '89 and I train real heavy. I did Heavy Duty with Mike Mentzer in the early 90's. I LOVED it!! But my tendons were not getting as strong as fast as my muscles were. Then I started to get some joint pain and new it was time to change back to my conventional bodybuilding routines. There was nothing better than lifting more weight everytime you trained.

Do you compete as a powerlifter?

Nah, don't compete in bodybuilding or powerlifting. I'm content with being the big guy at the gym. It's always just been a hobby, well, if you call scheduling everyday, holidays, vacations and outings around your workout schedule a hobby. But I think alot of the guys on here do that as well. I tried heavy duty for a while and it seemed pretty cool. The only thing I didn't like was that you really only got the one chance to give it your all on that one set, and if your mind wasn't there, then the workout suffered. So I like doing more sets, because it always takes a few to get into it,for me at least. Alright man, enough chit chat. I just watched 28 weeks later on pay per view, and that movie blew. So now its off to bed to hopefully not have dreams about zombies.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 01:25:49 PM »
I too call it a hobby in the same way. I haven't competed in years. Just live the bodybuilding lifestyle (without the drugs) :)