Author Topic: Cool pic of the Mentzer Bros  (Read 4868 times)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
Re: Cool pic of the Mentzer Bros
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 05:33:03 PM »
cool...i have all of my mags boxes dude from them i thought i was close to the quote,i remember the sinbad/hercules issues i thought he went down closer to 240 for sinbad..if not my bad...

Lou only dipped down to 250 pounds at one point in 1984. He thought it would get him more movie roles. He was wrong. Imo, Lou's physique in Cage 2 was out of this world. He weighed 326 pounds during the filming of it. His size was insane.

This is what he looked like during that era. He did some guest posings. Some say he got close to 340 pounds at one point.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »
By contrast, this was his Mr. Olympia winning condition during the filming of Hercules in 1982/1983 (About 60-65 pounds lighter):

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »
Ray had potential to be bigger and better, IMO.  Real world, Mike was better.  Mike was cool and engaging in my experience. Ray was almost always a douche bag.

I don't agree about Ray. The guy just wanted to be left alone. When I was staying at his place in 1991 he got me a free pass to train at Golds Venice. I was there for 2 weeks.

One day I introduced Paul Dillett to Ray. Ray wasn't impressed with all the veins. I always thought Ray was one of the biggest guys I have seen....muscle for muscle. However, that

day when Ray was weighing about 260 he looked small next to Paul who weighed about 290. Later Ray told me I knew more people than he did at Golds and he had been there for years.

In the last video the Mentzer brothers made together I could hear Ray talking about some bodybuilder who was violent with his wife/girlfriend. Ray didn't like that. He didn't like

gays or blacks. He was opinionated but knowledgeable. Arthur Jones measured Ray's arm at over 20 inches. Only Sergio had similar size arms according to Arthur's tape

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 10:00:30 PM »
Who has the better physique? Mike or Ray?

Interesting question. Both brothers won the AAU Mr America but Ray never won the Mr Universe like Mike did. He kept trying until his health stopped him from competing.

Most of the shots with Ray and Mike together were taken about the time Ray won the Mr America and he was quite lean then and Mike looks more impressive.

In other photos Ray looks more impressive. Look at his longer biceps for a start.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 05:45:55 AM »
Interesting question. Both brothers won the AAU Mr America but Ray never won the Mr Universe like Mike did. He kept trying until his health stopped him from competing.

Most of the shots with Ray and Mike together were taken about the time Ray won the Mr America and he was quite lean then and Mike looks more impressive.

In other photos Ray looks more impressive. Look at his longer biceps for a start.

Ray won the AAU Mr. America that had stiff competition. Mike won Weider's version. I forget what the called it.  Maybe the 1976 IFBB Mr.America.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 05:55:59 AM »
Ray won the AAU Mr. America that had stiff competition. Mike won Weider's version. I forget what the called it.  Maybe the 1976 IFBB Mr.America.
Correct Rich.....Mike Mentzer never won the AAU version which supposedly pissed him off quite a bit when Ray did win it.

It was a much coveted title back then.

Comparisons of the 2 versions.

http://musclememory.com/male/contests/mr_america_-_ifbb.html

http://musclememory.com/male/contests/mr_america_-_aau.html

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 06:09:49 AM »

Damn, Ray has some of the best biceps I've ever seen in the FDB

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »

Ray was definitely thicker than Mike, but it looked like he also carried more water than Mike did. Overall, two very different physiques, but equally impressive in their own way.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 10:28:22 PM »
I don't agree about Ray. The guy just wanted to be left alone. When I was staying at his place in 1991 he got me a free pass to train at Golds Venice. I was there for 2 weeks.

One day I introduced Paul Dillett to Ray. Ray wasn't impressed with all the veins. I always thought Ray was one of the biggest guys I have seen....muscle for muscle. However, that

day when Ray was weighing about 260 he looked small next to Paul who weighed about 290. Later Ray told me I knew more people than he did at Golds and he had been there for years.

In the last video the Mentzer brothers made together I could hear Ray talking about some bodybuilder who was violent with his wife/girlfriend. Ray didn't like that. He didn't like

gays or blacks. He was opinionated but knowledgeable. Arthur Jones measured Ray's arm at over 20 inches. Only Sergio had similar size arms according to Arthur's tape

How did such a big guy (referring to Dillett) have such a small waist? BTW, while Paul's offseason weight was 290 pounds in 1991, his offseason weight by the mid-late 90's was 330 pounds and 290 pounds in competition.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »
Lots of accusing someone of being racist and homophobic when they are not even here to defend themselves in this thread.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »
Lots of accusing someone of being racist and homophobic when they are not even here to defend themselves in this thread.

And in Ray's case, not even on this earth anymore  :P

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »
And in Ray's case, not even on this earth anymore  :P

Exactly.