Author Topic: How many speakers should a car have?  (Read 5245 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
How many speakers should a car have?
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »
How many audio speakers should a car have?  In the very old days cars had one speaker up front... then they had two in the back... then they had four (two up front and two in the back).  Carmakers were content with four speaker for years though they kept making all four of them more and more premium and upscale.  My last car had eight speakers.  My current car has 13 speakers in the premium audio system (the stock system came with 10 speakers).

The Bang & Olufson high end Surround Sound system in the 5, 6, and 7 Series comes with sixteen speakers (12 in the 6 Series convertible).  Does 16 really sound better than 12?  Does 13 really sound better than 10?  

At what point does one have too many speakers? Unless you're playing for a tailgate can you ever really crank it all way up without going deaf? ???

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: How many speakers should a car have?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »
4 is enough to fill the air.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
My current car has 6, plus 2 tweeters. I think 6 is plenty for a car, it has 2 in the doors with the tweeters, 2 in the A pillar (middle of car), and 2 in the rear.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
My truck has 6 and they're factory and they're sufficient.  I've had a custom system in the past with 8 speakers and a subwoofer.....never fully reached it's potential in the car.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »
mine and your bimmer should have 6 early to mid 2000's...

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:57:51 PM »
It depends on how you count the speakers... a normal basic two channel stereo has left and right arrays...a tweeter for high pitched sounds and a woofer for lows mounted in one enclosure for the left and one for the right, with crossover circuitry routing the highs to the tweeters and the lows to the woofer, being fed from a single power amplifier to the left and another identical power amplifier to the right...for the purpose of promotion brochures may count these as "four"...some sound system designers decided to split the sounds three ways to a tweeter, midrange, and a woofer on the left and right.

Then another designer realized that power amplifiers distort the most when they amplify the highest and the lowest sounds simultaneously...so they would put the crossover before the power amplifiers and have two on each side, left and right...they would split off the lowest sounds and route it to an amplifier used only to amplify the lowest sound separately from the higher sounds and route the bass to the woofer separately from the higher sounds and so thus reducing distortion.  This is called “Bi-amping” and if you count all the drivers you have six…Two tweeters, two midrange, and two woofers.

Again system designers had an epiphany…it was discovered that due to the long wavelengths of bass sounds compared to the distance between human ears…bass sounds cannot be “localized” in the mind and so do not contribute to the “stereo image” as much as the midrange and highs…So some designers rather than have two woofers will have the crossover before the power amplifier “sum” the left and right bass sounds into one signal and have one power amplifier and one very big woofer to handle the bass…This is called a “sub-woofer”system…driver count five.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »

Honda Pilots have 7 Speakers, 1 Large Subwoofer, 4 Midrange, 2 Tweeters, 150 W Sound System - it sounds pretty good to me...

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
my current car has 10 , i don't even know where they are but it sounds pristine and pounds nice and clean when i turn it up

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »
Honda Pilots have 7 Speakers, 1 Large Subwoofer, 4 Midrange, 2 Tweeters, 150 W Sound System - it sounds pretty good to me...

Here's some advice, Ron, if that's the best car you can afford:  Put some damn google ads on getbig and ask for a raise.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:30:01 PM »
I drive around with two 1000-watt QSC k12's in my trunk.   

Mind you, they're not hooked up.  But I bet i could plug them into a 6-prong, plugged into the cig charger, and really thump some shit with them. 

The females would see my riding with a PA system in my backseat and they'd be all like, "Hey Rob, your [sic] so awesome man, please take us home and fck us".

And I'd be all like "Sorry ladies, I can't fit you and the QSC k12's in my car at the same time.  And I had to save for like 15 weeks to buy these, and I'd last about 15 seconds with you guys, so I'm gonna do the math and just say no to your mop n' glo."

That's totally what would happen too.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
Here's some advice, Ron, if that's the best car you can afford:  Put some damn google ads on getbig and ask for a raise.

Here is some advice for you. Learn your priorities in life.  Been there with the Ford Mustangs CT, Convertible car (for 5 years), Corvettes, subwoofers in the trunk, and specialized stereo system (when you can play LL Cool J's Going Down to Cali in the car, you will understand) ...  I am quite happy with my SUVs (have a 2012 and a 2011), and the kids love it too.  

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »
Here is some advice for you. Learn your priorities in life.  Been there with the Ford Mustangs CT, Convertible car (for 5 years), Corvettes, subwoofers in the trunk, and specialized stereo system (when you can play LL Cool J's Going Down to Cali in the car, you will understand) ...  I am quite happy with my SUVs (have a 2012 and a 2011), and the kids love it too.  

Hey, Ron, shouldn't you be driving a Ford Focus? Get it, a photographer driving a Focus?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:53 PM »
my car is 8.1 and it is stock.  I think the minimum for a daily driver is 4.1 or 4.2. You want atleast one in each corner and some bass
A

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »
Hey, Ron, shouldn't you be driving a Ford Focus? Get it, a photographer driving a Focus?

The question is - can I even fit in that tiny car.... 

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 02:38:01 AM »
From physics side, we have more low-power sound projectors directed straight to listener, thus we hear more direct sound, than reflections, and that's equal better sound quality.

There have been very few innovations in sound reinfocement for a many years, it's the same technologies invented in the middle of 20th century.
Just to name a few innovations - better materials for loudspeakers (like adding kevlar to woofers, ribbon tweeters in audio monitors), widespread of line arrays and horn subwoofers in proaudio market, and now AD/DA converters become really cheap and good, so we have digital audio with adequate quality everythere - ipods, integrated audiocards, tvs, cars.
As for cars - it always been shittiest loudspeakers installed by default, bought in China by weight. And as loudspeakers have good quality (frequency response, sensitivity), you have not much to improve, except their location and splitting up frequency range for more bands, thus reducing distortions brought by individual ls, all that followed by increased quantity of loudspeakers.

But all car owners i met measure sound quality with speed your brain turns in jelly, from all that subwoofers in trunk. ;)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 02:47:39 AM »
My car has six..enough to give that nice bass sound, you know that "bu-bhump, bu-bhump", along with that rich high and crisp midrange

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »
The females would see my riding with a PA system in my backseat and they'd be all like, "Hey Rob, your [sic] so awesome man, please take us home and fck us".

And I'd be all like "Sorry ladies, I can't fit you and the QSC k12's in my car at the same time.  And I had to save for like 15 weeks to buy these, and I'd last about 15 seconds with you guys, so I'm gonna do the math and just say no to your mop n' glo."

That's totally what would happen too.
Bad Grammar, would not hit.

Internet Tough Guy

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:51 AM »
no more than 1.5 speakers per chin

Mitch

• Getbig V
  • Team Succulent Ham of Peace
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 06:46:15 AM »
what about: How many cars should a speaker have?  ::)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 06:48:21 AM »
what about: How many cars should a speaker have?  ::)
Im going with 29.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »
How many audio speakers should a car have?  In the very old days cars had one speaker up front... then they had two in the back... then they had four (two up front and two in the back).  Carmakers were content with four speaker for years though they kept making all four of them more and more premium and upscale.  My last car had six speakers.  My current car has 13 speakers in the premium audio system (the stock system came with 10 speakers).

The Bang & Olufson high end Surround Sound system in the 5, 6, and 7 Series comes with sixteen speakers (12 in the 6 Series convertible).  Does 16 really sound better than 12?  Does 13 really sound better than 10?  

At what point does one have too many speakers? Unless you're playing for a tailgate can you ever really crank it all way up without going deaf? ???

You got a lil' bobbing dog watching everybody pass too?
Y

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 06:52:45 AM »

All systems needed in car:

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 06:57:53 AM »

All systems needed in car:

I've been seeing more and more Russian military firearms with the Eotech holo sights. Interesting to me.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 07:53:50 AM »
I've been seeing more and more Russian military firearms with the Eotech holo sights. Interesting to me.

Absolutely. They seem to be big in Rossiyan military these days  8)
The pic above is from Federal Protective Service's car from Republic of Ingushetia, RUS.