Author Topic: **John Romano's Questionable Commentary**  (Read 13936 times)

ReEvolution

• Getbig III
  • goodbye ronnie
Re: **John Romano is Full of SHIT**
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 12:00:20 AM »
 With the exception of Ronnie, make those guys work.  Only the champion deserves a free pass back, the rest of the competitors need to earn that top contender spot.  
yikes, that would give the champion an unfair advantage in only having to peak once a year.  that would be terrible for anyone but the champ and lend to an even worse olympia.  not that it matters cause the champ never loses anyway. 
two thumbs WAY up!!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 02:20:31 AM »
For once I think Bobby is on to something.  I firmly agree that this bullshit about the top 5-6 guys getting a free pass back is kinda gay.  With the exception of Ronnie, make those guys work.  Only the champion deserves a free pass back, the rest of the competitors need to earn that top contender spot.  

We've already had a rule change, regarding the Olympia, a few years ago. Now, only the top 6 qualify for the next year's show. Before then, making the top 10 at the O qualified you for next year's extravaganza. To me, making top 5 is the equivalent of winning one of the Grand Prix shows. I certainly don't think it's a free pass. If you place that high, you've EARNED the right to be in the show the following year.

This thread is a cry of the realization that if the IFBB did require athletes to compete in more shows Mr. Coleman would no longer be Mr. Olympia. Your aesthetic types would slice through the competitions!

Ummmm.....the last time I checked, Coleman has entered shows besides the Olympia and STILL held on to his title. He has several Grand Prix wins under his belt. Plus, the year he won the Olympia (1998), he entered several pros shows, including the Toronto Pro show, the San Francisco Pro Invitational, and the Night of Champions.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 04:15:38 AM »
I just finished listening to the replay of this weeks PBBW and I have to say I was taken aback by some of the disparaging comments made about Ronnie Coleman and the Olympia, particularly those by MD's Seniour Editor. With all due respect to John Romano, especially considering that he's an industry name and I'm an internet nobody, his take on Ronnie Coleman and the Olympia were shocking.

Ronnie Coleman losing the Olympia would be the best thing for bodybuilding? Force him to compete more than once a year? The Olympia will be boring? Not to mention Chick's comment that everyone is bored to tears watching it???? EXCUSE ME????

These have to be some of the most upsetting and ass-backwards things I've heard in my life!

First off, Ronnie Coleman is the greatest bodybuilder this sport has ever known. It is a treat and a thrill to see him compete at the Olympia every year and win. He does so becuase he's head and shoulders above everyone else. We have never seen his combination of size, conditioning, and muscularity, and it's likely we never will again after he retires. That said, him losing wouldn't be the best thing to happen to bodybuilding. Since Coleman is obviously the best bodybuilder in the world, him losing would amount to a bullshit decision based on politics and not physiques. Sadly, I always thought MD was agaisnt BS.

Secondly, forcing the top 5 or 6 at the Olympia to requalify would be another mistake. Everyone talks about how its difficult to peak for multiple shows a year. If this is true, how would it make sense to have the best in the world showing up at less than their best? This would just downgrade the quality and prestige of the Mr. Olympia contest. It's far better to have the top 5 or 6 save themselves for the big dance where it really matters.

Having the reigning Mr. Olympia compete more than once would be even worse. Can you imagine if Dorian Yates had entered the spring shows? It would have ruined his mystique and killed any chance of him showing up at his best come Olympia time. The last time a Mr. O competed beforehand was in 2001 and the result was the champ showed up at less than 100%. Noone goes to the Olympia to see the athletes at 90%, they pay good money to see the world's best at their best.

Lastly, this brings us to the Olympia. How can you say it will be boring? Simply because the reigning champ deserves to win again? How can you say that the biggest show in bodybuilding will be boring?? You get to watch larger than life athletes battling it out on stage for the biggest title in the sport. Hell, you get to witness bb history in the making!!

And Bob. Oh, Bob. I can't believe you said watching a bodybuilding show bores you to tears. I can understand nodding off during the 20 rounds of figure they show beforehand, or even some of the other inane events that you're forced to watch before the pros come on stage. But the Olympia? Any true fan of bodybuilding would be thrilled to see the Olympia in person. I have nothing but absolute respect and admiration for you Bob, but I just don't understand how you can be bored at the O when the real fans you've mention would have the time of their life . . .

When Ronnie retires, you'll all realize just how great he is. It's a shame people can't just appreciate him now and enjoy the show. There will be a huge void when he retires. Long live King Coleman!

PS. I LOVE MD AND NEVER MISS AN ISSUE

Ronnie hasn't deserved a win at the Olympia since 1998.

So lay off the crack.

...Mr Mystique ::)

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 04:23:50 AM »
john is right.  and he's also right on the venue location.  nothing wrong with the truf.  and i liked Ronnie's robe and crown but he should have selected turquoise instead of red.

and an automatic qualification for the following years Olympia rings like a racket.

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 05:12:04 AM »
Ronnie hasn't deserved a win at the Olympia since 1998.

So lay off the crack.

Oh dear or dear.

How hasnt he "deserved" any of them. He's busted his ass dieting and training as much and more than most so how hasnt he deserved his wins. A couple of his victories are suspect (2001, 2002) but he's still leagues above anyone else.

Get over it

...Mr Mystique ::)

YIP
Zack

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 05:25:49 AM »
Bah Romano has a point, the olympia is mostly boring.  All shows are boring though.  They move slowly because they use people who are not "showmen" to drive the occasion (and they are not well choreographed).

Its always going to feel like amateurs night when you have guys with less than outgoing personalities standing up there trying to entertain a crowd.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 05:46:23 AM »
I think Chic had a good point in saying that you cannot beat Ronnie at the mass game

I:E - Cutler.....somone has to come in with a different type of physique but when all is said and done the current Mr Olympia always wins (at least the last 3 Olympia's) and a smaller guy never wins.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 05:53:57 AM »
We've already had a rule change, regarding the Olympia, a few years ago. Now, only the top 6 qualify for the next year's show. Before then, making the top 10 at the O qualified you for next year's extravaganza. To me, making top 5 is the equivalent of winning one of the Grand Prix shows. I certainly don't think it's a free pass. If you place that high, you've EARNED the right to be in the show the following year.

I don't think they've earned the right to have a free pass back.  That "earned right" is completely subjective.  These guys should have to work their asses off year round and go into pro qualifiers and show that their asses have not fallen off.  Plain and simple.  Ronnie is the crowned champ, like in any other sport, it's HIS title that you are after, so they have to have him come back by default.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 07:09:55 AM »
I don't think they've earned the right to have a free pass back.  That "earned right" is completely subjective.  These guys should have to work their asses off year round and go into pro qualifiers and show that their asses have not fallen off.  Plain and simple.  Ronnie is the crowned champ, like in any other sport, it's HIS title that you are after, so they have to have him come back by default.

Your a idiot and complete assclown. Your saying that top 5-6 in the O doesn't earn you a spot next year but getting in the top 3-5 in other shows throughout the year does.............. Where the fuck is the logic there ???
I

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 07:19:58 AM »
Personally I think the reigning Mr Olympia should do at least one show a year as well as the "O"

As for the #2 spot and on I think these people need to requalify every year as well.

I mean heck, Hurricanes and Heat do not get a free pass to the chamionships next year..they need to start at ground zero once again and earn the shot at the championship.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 07:31:50 AM »
Having the show at the Orleans is a bait-and-switch. You're supposed to think "Wow, Las Vegas!" - while picturing all the glamorous places along the Strip. Then you get to this tacky off-Strip joint that might as well be one of the just-over-the-state-line dumps in Mesquite.

And to those who have argued that the Orleans is more in line with the sport's financial realities, I would say that a Holiday Inn in Delaware is even more so. And at least holding it there wouldn't be trying to fool anyone.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 07:32:08 AM »
Personally I think the reigning Mr Olympia should do at least one show a year as well as the "O"

As for the #2 spot and on I think these people need to requalify every year as well.

I mean heck, Hurricanes and Heat do not get a free pass to the chamionships next year..they need to start at ground zero once again and earn the shot at the championship.

Implement it once Ronnie retires - I don't want to see him get screwed over.

Once his reign is complete then its time to make some serious changes

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 07:35:26 AM »

Your comparing team sports to an individual competition, yet another retarded remark in this thread.
I

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2006, 07:54:32 AM »
Your a idiot and complete assclown. Your saying that top 5-6 in the O doesn't earn you a spot next year but getting in the top 3-5 in other shows throughout the year does.............. Where the f**k is the logic there ???

Mike,

Where do you come off insulting me by calling me an idiot or an assclown?  When did I say getting 3-5 in other shows?  I said pro qualifiers, but even that needs twitching to just the top 2 guys. 

1MoreRep

P.S. Don't be so rude, your mother was way more gentle last night, she told me I was easily inher top 2..

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2006, 08:14:37 AM »
Mike,

Where do you come off insulting me by calling me an idiot or an assclown?  When did I say getting 3-5 in other shows?  I said pro qualifiers, but even that needs twitching to just the top 2 guys. 

1MoreRep

P.S. Don't be so rude, your mother was way more gentle last night, she told me I was easily inher top 2..

LMAO.... ;D ;D ;D
Get Big, or Die Trying

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2006, 08:55:10 AM »
Your a idiot and complete assclown. Your saying that top 5-6 in the O doesn't earn you a spot next year but getting in the top 3-5 in other shows throughout the year does.............. Where the f**k is the logic there ???

What I get out of this is that the spring and summer shows will have quality competitors who need a top 3-5 for an 0 placing.  Like stated above, what other sport gives the winners of last year a free trip to the playoffs.  It would be a good thing for the fans who want to see the best on stage in NY, even if they don't have the time or $$$ to go to Vegas.  There's the logic I see.  Why should the fans only get to see Dex, Jay or some of the others who only do guest appearances in 3/4 the condition they'd put out for a show.  Not only that but the $$$ for the competitors wouldn't hurt either.  It's a new season better competitors more prizes and $$$ for the athletes and all bodybuilders should start off even.  The returning Mr.0 gets in, but that's it.  JMHO
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 09:19:27 AM »
Wow,that would be great to make guys compete more often.Lets try and have tons of deaths because of the extreme measures these guys go through to get into shape.Super idea,why not just have the contests in a graveyard,this way you could kill two birds with one stone,watch the guys compete and then when they keel over you could burry them right there.

Bones

• Getbig IV
  • 3rd pass thru the buffet line,had to undo my belt
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2006, 09:41:09 AM »

Yeah....the "true fans" of bodybuilding= the "hardcore fans"...that amounts to the same 5,000 people that show up every year...no more, no less. Thats not progress in my book. We need to make these competitions into shows, which would appeal to more fans within the bodybuilding/ fitness world.

I've got an article on this coming out in the next issue of FLEX mag...it explains this very subject in detail...check it out.

As for making guys re-qualify...other than the reigning Olympia champion (Ronnie or otherwise), I see no real reason why there is a pass given to athletes simply for the fact that they placed well.
 making them re-Q would bring bigger talent to other shows as well, not just the "O"...It may also keep the guys in better conditioning throughout the year for guest posings, appearances, etc.

What other sport is this done? None that I can think of....it's not good for the sport as a whole, doesn't promote the athletes, doesn't give the other shows a chance to have the best in the world compete, and does nothing but stagnate the growth even more.

Time to make some changes...
  I agree...bring it on!
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2006, 09:42:16 AM »
Yeah....the "true fans" of bodybuilding= the "hardcore fans"...that amounts to the same 5,000 people that show up every year...no more, no less. Thats not progress in my book. We need to make these competitions into shows, which would appeal to more fans within the bodybuilding/ fitness world.

The Olympia should focus on keeping these 5,000 hardcore fans happy.  It costs a lot to go to Vegas and attend the show, so the core group is essential to it's success.  They bring their families and friends and encourage others to attend, but only if the show is good.  If the Olympia continues to put on shows like last year's embarrassment, even the hardcore fans can lose interest.  The formula to success isn't in trying to make the show entertaining (WWE style), it's in making it well-planned, organized, and classy like the top show in BB should be.     

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2006, 10:02:18 AM »
Having the show at the Orleans is a bait-and-switch. You're supposed to think "Wow, Las Vegas!" - while picturing all the glamorous places along the Strip. Then you get to this tacky off-Strip joint that might as well be one of the just-over-the-state-line dumps in Mesquite.

And to those who have argued that the Orleans is more in line with the sport's financial realities, I would say that a Holiday Inn in Delaware is even more so. And at least holding it there wouldn't be trying to fool anyone.

"...Mesquite"

BUCK 65

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2006, 10:17:50 AM »
If Ronnie was in the MD stable-John would feel differently likely

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2006, 11:21:21 AM »
Wow,that would be great to make guys compete more often.Lets try and have tons of deaths because of the extreme measures these guys go through to get into shape.Super idea,why not just have the contests in a graveyard,this way you could kill two birds with one stone,watch the guys compete and then when they keel over you could burry them right there.

Maby, just maby, if they knew they were going to do more than a show a year they would cut down on all the juice and the more ascetically balanced look would be the norm, not the expection.  You know healthier eating, more workouts,  living the clean life all year and not just having to push the body to the limits for 12 weeks out of the year.  It's their job afterall right?   Doing more than 1 show a year and using your brains will make you healthier, not kill you.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2006, 11:55:13 AM »
If Ronnie was in the MD stable-John would feel differently likely

Maybe BSN will start running ads in MD so Ronnie can become a columnist.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2006, 12:01:48 PM »
Maybe BSN will start running ads in MD so Ronnie can become a columnist.

Although both qualities are certainly influential, which sells more mags - celebrity status or good writing?  Is the difference significant? 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2006, 12:12:50 PM »
Mike,

1MoreRep

Pro qualifiers? Those would be Nationals, the USA, and the North American Championships. Why in the world should IFBB pros, especially those who place top 5, have to go back to the amateur ranks to prove themselves?

Personally, I think they should reinstate the rule, that lets the top 10 at the Olympia qualify for next's year's Olympia. And, as they did in the past, they should only bother to place the top 15, giving everybody else "16th" place.