Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS !!! Human embryo clone created  (Read 4695 times)

Stark

• Getbig V
BREAKING NEWS !!! Human embryo clone created
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:29:06 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1675602.stm

A United States company says it has created a human embryo clone.

Robert Lanza, ACT
Although this is not the first time such a claim has been made, it is the first time a research group with an established track record in the use of cloning and other novel cell technologies has come forward with this sort of announcement.

The company involved, Advanced Cell Technology (ACT), has even published details of its work in an electronic journal.

ACT is stressing that its aim is to use the technology as a source of stem cells - not to create a human being.

"Scientifically, biologically, the entities we are creating are not individuals. They're only cellular life. They're not human life," said Michael West, ACT chief executive officer.

Degenerative diseases

ACT, based in Worcester Massachusetts, says the cloning technology will be used to grow a tiny ball of cells which can be used to produce stem cells.

Embryonic stem cells are the "master cells" that have the potential to develop into virtually every other type of cell in the body.

These, it is hoped, could be used to treat a range of degenerative diseases ranging from leukaemia to diabetes.

US Federal law prohibits the use of taxpayers' money for the cloning of human beings, but ACT, as a privately funded organisation, is not affected by the ban.

Political reaction

"This is indeed a milestone in therapeutic cloning," Mary Ann Liebert, publisher of the online journal e-biomed, which carried the report, said in a statement.

Robert Lanza, vice president of medical and scientific development at ACT and an author on the paper, said the results were very exciting.

"Our intention is not to create cloned human beings but rather to make lifesaving therapies for a wide range of human disease conditions, including diabetes, strokes, cancer, Aids, and neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease."

But, while many scientists welcomed the announcement, politicians in the US have warned that they plan to outlaw all human cloning.

Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle said he did not yet quite understand what ACT had done. "But it's disconcerting, frankly. I think it's going in the wrong direction."

Hybrid embryo

Republican Senator Richard Shelby told NBC's Meet The Press: "I believe it will be a big debate, but at the end of the day, I don't think we're going to let the cloning of human embryos go on."

In December 1998, researchers at Kyunghee University in South Korea claimed to have produced the world's first human embryo clone. The scientists involved said they destroyed the object soon after seeing it divide several times.

Many researchers around the world doubted the experiment ever took place.

ACT itself claimed in the November of that year that it had fused the genetic material from a human cell with the empty egg from a cow to make a hybrid embryo.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: BREAKING NEWS !!! Human embryo clone created
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »
I wonder if a lot of people who are AGAINST stem cell research are suddenly in favor of it when something on them, or a loved on, breaks, and that kind of research could help fix it?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:33:11 AM »
I wonder if a lot of people who are AGAINST stem cell research are suddenly in favor of it when something on them, or a loved on, breaks, and that kind of research could help fix it?

course you are, but that doesn't make it right, I think we operate in dangerous water here we don't know enough yet to proceed with this shit.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »
Hmm. This going on in George Bush's science-friendly America? And clearly in defiance of God's Law!? 

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:34:36 AM »
Does this mean parents can bring back children they've lost with as little as a clump of hair?
BigNationRadio.com

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
Does this mean parents can bring back children they've lost with as little as a clump of hair?

lost?

irishmuscle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
How is it breaking news if the article was written on Sunday, 25 November, 2001, 17:54 GMT

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:37:31 AM »
How is it breaking news if the article was written on Sunday, 25 November, 2001, 17:54 GMT

shut your hole you knacker scumbag

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »
Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle said he did not yet quite understand what ACT had done. "But it's disconcerting, frankly. I think it's going in the wrong direction."

Republican Senator Richard Shelby told NBC's Meet The Press: "I believe it will be a big debate, but at the end of the day, I don't think we're going to let the cloning of human embryos go on."

Idiots.

Do they really think they can stop it?  If it doesn't happen here, it will happen in Europe or Asia...  you can't put a lid on technology.  The bigger question is, why would you want to, given the number of diseases this type of thing might cure?

Douchebag politicians.  >:(
Ron: "I am lazy."

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:51 AM »
Welcome to 6 years ago.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »
THe worlds population is 6 billion today.

By 2050 it will be 9 billion.

I'm all for making solutions that will make us live forever.  However, can we please convince stupid, poor, lazy people to stop f**king so the population slows down a bit?

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:45:50 AM »
lost?

i think he believes they can now replace the bloodhounds they use to search for missing/ lost persons with genetic scientists.

maybe the cloning makes the scientists noses more sensitive.

just a thought.
b

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »

I'm all for making solutions that will make us live forever.  However, can we please convince stupid, poor, lazy people to stop f**king so the population slows down a bit?

Mass Euthanasia? "We" tried that back in the days 39-45, I think anybody who cannot mark the Xes on the Lotto ticket
without helps needs to be either Castrated or sterilised.

You agree?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 09:57:34 AM »
Mass Euthanasia? "We" tried that back in the days 39-45, I think anybody who cannot mark the Xes on the Lotto ticket
without helps needs to be either Castrated or sterilised.

You agree?

I'm not saying kill anyone.

I'm saying teach them to only have 1-2 babies.  Teach them to use their mouth.  Teach them to wait til they're 30 to make babies.  Teach them to go to college.  And yes, if they're too dumb to pass a test, why not give them a shot?  Too many people is a bad, bad thing.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 10:03:43 AM »
Would cloning humans increase the risk of schizophrenia?

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 10:06:45 AM »
course you are, but that doesn't make it right, I think we operate in dangerous water here we don't know enough yet to proceed with this shit.

Stark, making an actual human being or even an organ out of stem cells isn't practically feasible currently. If cloning really takes off, it will mainly be used in clinical contexts such as making an organ like liver out a person's stem cells if the person's liver is damaged beyond recovery and they need a new one / replacement.

Cloning costs tens of millions of dollars to do and a person's clone wouldn't be their carbon copy physically (like we see in the movies). It's so much easier, simpler and cost effective to make a human being the normal, time-honored way. So we aren't going to see armies of clones being engineered by governments to increase their power or whatever.

Besides, cloning has been done for centuries with plants like roses, although it didn't involve any direct genetic alterations. The only thing that's different now is that we are able to enact the technology at the cellular level by directly altering DNA sequences (using viruses to 'infect' a DNA strand with the required strand).

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »

In 2007, 1 out of every 4 babies born were Latino.  Why? Because Latinos don't believe in birth control or abortion so they pop babies out every time they fuck, so I think you know who to blame for our population problems.  Use condoms FFS.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »
Stark, making an actual human being or even a tissue out of stem cells isn't practically feasible currently. If cloning really takes off, it will mainly be used in clinical contexts such as making an organ like liver out a person's stem cells if the person's liver is damaged beyond recovery and they need a new one / replacement.

Cloning costs tens of millions of dollars to do and a person's clone wouldn't be their carbon copy physically (like we see in the movies). It's so much easier, simpler and cost effective to make a human being the normal, time-honored way. So we aren't going to see armies of clones being engineered by governments to increase their power or whatever.

Besides, cloning has been done for centuries with plants like roses, although it didn't involve any direct genetic alterations. The only thing that's different now is that we are able to enact the technology at the cellular level by directly altering DNA sequences (using viruses to 'infect' a DNA strand with the required strand).
Wow! I got a friend, name's Roy Batty, he'd like a word with you.  ;)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »
sterilize all hispanics.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »
Wow! I got a friend, name's Roy Batty, he'd like a word with you.  ;)

Dunno if I want to have a one on one with a batty boy :-\

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 10:25:30 AM »

Idiots.

Do they really think they can stop it?  If it doesn't happen here, it will happen in Europe or Asia...  you can't put a lid on technology.  The bigger question is, why would you want to, given the number of diseases this type of thing might cure?

Religion..  :-\

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 10:53:54 AM »
Dunno if I want to have a one on one with a batty boy :-\
Aw crap. That was easily the coolest film reference that I'm gonna make all week.  :-\

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 11:17:42 AM »
I want them to clone me a Selma Hayek.
HAHA, RON.....

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »

Idiots.

Exactly, more outsourcing.

Asia is already on the brink of surpassing us in the biotechnology field, and countless others.

People think the US and various other nations are inventing new medicines....no they are not they are making new generations of the same medicine. That is why bacteria easily adapt to it, making it resistant.

As long as logic (politicians) precedes science, things will continue to worsen healtwise, as we advance and leave medicine in the past.

No new antibiotic has been developed for over 20 years.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 01:51:28 PM »
Like the movie "Godsend"?  Robert DeNiro, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos and Greg Kinnear starred in it.  Good movie.
:D Weee