Getbig.com: American Bodybuilding, Fitness and Figure

Getbig Bodybuilding Boards => Training Q&A => Topic started by: Donny on August 26, 2026, 03:04:58 AM

Title: Traps
Post by: Donny on August 26, 2026, 03:04:58 AM
who concentrates on Traps here, most people i see in the Gym will do shoulders mainly with pressing & side raises but i like to train Traps with shoulders
never see many doing shrugs which i like ..DB & BB
Haney style with a Bar Behind your back too.

Title: Re: Traps
Post by: Donny on August 26, 2026, 03:11:14 AM
never see anyone do these now..

Title: Re: Traps
Post by: Donny on August 27, 2026, 02:07:55 AM
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: IroNat on August 27, 2026, 04:47:44 AM
Big traps are impressive and give the look of power.
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: Donny on August 27, 2026, 04:55:58 AM
Big traps are impressive and give the look of power.
I think Reeves & Vince G never really liked big traps but check these Traps/Neck out ..Jeff King !



Title: Re: Traps
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on September 20, 2026, 10:13:20 AM
I’ve been doing farmers walks with dumbbells or farmers walks handles instead of shrugs lately. Shrugs have always messed up my neck, even with careful form.

I like single arm shrugs, but farmers walks seem like a better use of my time. I recently bought farmers walks handles which I love. And you can load up the 45lb plates on these handles. They’re very heavy duty. Turning the trap bar longitudinally for farmers walks is challenging as well.

I’ll do low-mid trap work from time to time. I think it’s fine to do here and there, but I don’t think you should be spending big chunks of your workout focusing on the trap raises with light weights.
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: IroNat on September 20, 2026, 10:39:45 AM
Any overhead movement or raising of the arms activates the traps.

Really huge traps are practically impossible without drugs.


Title: Re: Traps
Post by: IroNat on September 20, 2026, 10:40:57 AM
I’ve been doing farmers walks with dumbbells or farmers walks handles instead of shrugs lately. Shrugs have always messed up my neck, even with careful form.

I like single arm shrugs, but farmers walks seem like a better use of my time. I recently bought farmers walks handles which I love. And you can load up the 45lb plates on these handles. They’re very heavy duty. Turning the trap bar longitudinally for farmers walks is challenging as well.

I’ll do low-mid trap work from time to time. I think it’s fine to do here and there, but I don’t think you should be spending big chunks of your workout focusing on the trap raises with light weights.

Farmers walks are great and really useful for life.

Any type of heavy carry is good.  "Heavy" being relative.

If you just concentrated on heavy carries and various types of pressing you'd be an animal.
Not a bodybuilder per se but a physical titan.

Title: Re: Traps
Post by: NaturalWonder83 on September 20, 2026, 01:37:08 PM
Farmers walks are great and really useful for life.

Any type of heavy carry is good.  "Heavy" being relative.

If you just concentrated on heavy carries and various types of pressing you'd be an animal.
Not a bodybuilder per se but a physical titan.
I agree. I feel carrying heavy items is brutal. I think having to carry something heavy and large up and down stairs (heavy sofa, compressor, window ac), or for distance, is one of the most challenging feats of strength.
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: IroNat on September 20, 2026, 02:13:38 PM
I agree. I feel carrying heavy items is brutal. I think having to carry something heavy and large up and down stairs (heavy sofa, compressor, window ac), or for distance, is one of the most challenging feats of strength.

Men that are professional movers develop all-round strength.
That is brutal work, especially doing it in hot weather.
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: Royalty on September 28, 2026, 02:23:28 PM
who concentrates on Traps here, most people i see in the Gym will do shoulders mainly with pressing & side raises but i like to train Traps with shoulders
never see many doing shrugs which i like ..DB & BB
Haney style with a Bar Behind your back too.

One of the benefits of doing shrugs in front of the body is that you get a really good stretch. Jay Cutler used to do front and rear shrugs in the same workout.
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: Donny on September 29, 2026, 04:47:35 AM
One of the benefits of doing shrugs in front of the body is that you get a really good stretch. Jay Cutler used to do front and rear shrugs in the same workout.
That´s good & i remember back in the day we used to do a rolling movement especially with DBs
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: Royalty on September 30, 2026, 10:49:10 AM
That´s good & i remember back in the day we used to do a rolling movement especially with DBs

Levrone did the shoulder rolling shrug too.

I do wonder if a trap bar would be useful for the rolling shrug movement.
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: deadz on September 30, 2026, 12:03:59 PM
4 sets of heavy db shrugs at the end of my shoulder workout.
Title: Re: Traps
Post by: Donny on October 01, 2026, 05:51:59 AM
4 sets of heavy db shrugs at the end of my shoulder workout.
I like to Superset  Close grip upright BB rows with BB shrugs behind my back
nice Combo