Author Topic: Reality check due.  (Read 7950 times)

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
Re: Reality check due.
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2006, 01:40:00 AM »
BTW, what is the main cause for someone tearing a muscle - does it have to do with lack of a decent warm up, getting enough blood into the muscle to be worked? This is really scares me!!

tendons and ligaments dont develop as fast as muscle.

thats your answer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2006, 01:41:30 AM »
I might go on the Sat. Obviously you have to pay $50 to see Ronnie.

How long do you get to hang out with him for $50?

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2006, 01:42:25 AM »
How long do you get to hang out with him for $50?

long enough to give him another $20 for an 8 x 10

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2006, 01:44:27 AM »
long enough to give him another $20 for an 8 x 10

ferrignowned.

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2006, 02:00:29 AM »
tendons and ligaments dont develop as fast as muscle.

thats your answer
So if you are getting jacked up your muscle growth rate can out pace that of the supporting structures - makes sense. What about lack of a decent warm up or fucked up form - I knew a couple guys tore pecs doing incline smith machine presses and they didn't juice. I strained the hell outta my upper chest doing those and never did them again - I feel it greatly restricts your free range of motion.
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

venom gang.bronze

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2006, 02:04:47 AM »
The drugs have ruined the sport. Need I mention the women! We used to have an annual gym contest and guys used steroids for that! We stopped having contests because we didn't want to encourage anyone to use drugs.

I remember interviewing one Asian teenager after he won the gym teen contest. I asked him if he used tablets. He smiled and shook his head, "No tablets!" This kid was way bigger than the others in his class. Later I found out he misunderstood my question. I was asking if he used steroids but he took me literally. He admitted he went to the steroid doctor Tony Miller who gave him decadurabolin via injections. We used to refer to steroids as 'tablets'.

When schoolboys feel they need steroids in order to compete the sport is insane. What the pros do is total insanity. Everyone sort of ignors the reality but I wonder about the longevity and health of those guys.

it's bodybuilding. the insanity all goes along with the other neurosis of this"task." obsessive compulsive disorder, insecurity, narcissism. i think arnold said it best, the most insecure guy with the most demons is the one who will do everythingt possible to get their, abnd probably win, as well. (i'm paraphrasing)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2006, 03:40:41 AM »
I am not an expert in muscle injuries but I have wondered about hypertrophy and connective tissue adaptations. It doesn't make sense that muscles would grow without the associated connective tissue becoming stronger. I think you have to be on guard about dangerous exercises and dangerous practices. For example, never put your elbows against a pad during biceps or triceps work. That is sure to cause wear and tear on the sheath covering the elbow joint. Be very careful lowering barbells near your face. Lying pullovers and incline triceps extensions can damage the elbows permanently. Forget bench presses, deadlifts and perhaps upright rowing. Absolutely no ballistic movements. No need to do force reps or have someone assist you. Do more max sets. That is the key. When you think about it bodybuilding is always dangerous because you are continually stressing the body to make it adapt. I wonder what the brain thinks about all the chronic stress that is placed on the tissues and joints?

Lifting weights for less than 8 reps is asking for trouble. Do heaps of sets with as much as you can for about 8 to 12 reps and you should be fine. I mean lots of sets with the max you can use. Don't drop back down and use less weight. Drop sets and rest pause is not as good as doing more max sets. That is the key to hypertrophy that Doug Hepburn discovered back in the early 1950s.

I heard Ronnie is doing a seminar on Sat and that costs $50, then another $50 on Sunday to see him pose. What a ripoff. Trust Paul to squeeze the fans for more money. Who wants to see a guy with torn parts?

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2006, 03:57:11 AM »

I heard Ronnie is doing a seminar on Sat and that costs $50, then another $50 on Sunday to see him pose. What a ripoff. Trust Paul to squeeze the fans for more money. Who wants to see a guy with torn parts?

the olympia did the same thing and we congratulated their entreprenuerial endevour

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2006, 01:00:08 AM »
Paul Graham is on a great wicket... pays to take the rap for arnold and go to prison for a few years... ;)

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2006, 01:07:53 AM »
Paul Graham is on a great wicket... pays to take the rap for arnold and go to prison for a few years... ;)

please go on columbo

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2006, 01:09:35 AM »
please go on columbo
well paul did time in cali for trying to ship stolen cars back to australia... he and arnold were tight at the time and some believe arnold may have been in on it... 1969 is a long time ago though

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2006, 01:21:49 AM »
I am not an expert in muscle injuries but I have wondered about hypertrophy and connective tissue adaptations. It doesn't make sense that muscles would grow without the associated connective tissue becoming stronger.
Steroids and GH make the tendons less elastic. They can actually improve collagen synthesis but it's the wrong type of collagen. You end up with a stiffer, less elastic tendon.

BTW, training heavy and ballistic is dangerous but you are never going to get to your absolute potential if you never train "heavy". It's pretty easy to spot the heavy lifters. The machine "pumpers" just don't get the same dense look.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2006, 04:44:59 AM »
training heavy and ballistic is dangerous but you are never going to get to your absolute potential if you never train "heavy". It's pretty easy to spot the heavy lifters. The machine "pumpers" just don't get the same dense look.
The safest yet still effective means lie somewhere in between. After good warmup, keep the intensity high by using moderate reps while still going heavy, with rest intervals at a minute or less. Don't do any exercises that cause undo structural stress or if you have to, go even higher on reps on problematic exercises like deads-20 rep sets still work the back very well without the same negative stresses IMO. Coleman keeps the reps higher-in his case injuries are mainly age related IMO. Body's broken down, just as happened with Yates; probably inevitable for many at a certain point after age 40 unless a different type of program is tried instead.

Also think about ROMs for each exercise, eliminate potential problem areas like the very bottom portion of the ROM on preacher curls, deads, dips, benches, etc.

Reduce absolute poundages by incorporating intensity techniques like supersets, trisets, shorter rest intervals, rest-pause, etc. that stress the muscle with less resistance.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2006, 02:45:21 PM »
The safest yet still effective means lie somewhere in between. After good warmup, keep the intensity high by using moderate reps while still going heavy, with rest intervals at a minute or less. Don't do any exercises that cause undo structural stress or if you have to, go even higher on reps on problematic exercises like deads-20 rep sets still work the back very well without the same negative stresses IMO. Coleman keeps the reps higher-in his case injuries are mainly age related IMO. Body's broken down, just as happened with Yates; probably inevitable for many at a certain point after age 40 unless a different type of program is tried instead.

Also think about ROMs for each exercise, eliminate potential problem areas like the very bottom portion of the ROM on preacher curls, deads, dips, benches, etc.

Reduce absolute poundages by incorporating intensity techniques like supersets, trisets, shorter rest intervals, rest-pause, etc. that stress the muscle with less resistance.
The reason Ronnie built so much mass is also the reason he's gotten injured: incredible tension put on the muscle through ballistic, ultra heavy training. Simply stated: increased tension = muscle growth.