Author Topic: paraskevidekatriaphobia  (Read 2924 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
paraskevidekatriaphobia
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:22:32 AM »
What a word...

It means fear of Friday 13th !!!

xxx
Linda

I'm a bit superstitious, but not very

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: paraskevidekatriaphobia
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:25:18 AM »
What's the date today?

and....

how stupid is that LOL!!
just push some weight!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:30:43 AM »
I think it's odd and eerie and waaaaaa

Ok, it's just funny

xL

How did it start anyways? Anybody know what the story behind friday the 13th is?
just push some weight!

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:30:52 AM »
Apparently if you can pronounce the word it cures your "phobia" of Friday the 13th. Stupid, I know.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 07:32:27 AM »
How did it start anyways? Anybody know what the story behind friday the 13th is?

There are various reasons but the one I know is that Jesus being crucified on a Friday, being the Romans day of execution. Why it was called "Good Friday" instead of "Bad Friday" beats me.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:27 AM »

Yes.  I know most superstitions.
(I'll tell the walking under the ladder one later...

Friday was the Last Supper and there were 13 people.

It's religious.

Linda
x

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 07:37:02 AM »
There are various reasons but the one I know is that Jesus being crucified on a Friday, being the Romans day of execution. Why it was called "Good Friday" instead of "Bad Friday" beats me.

Good Friday is a holy day celebrated by most Christians on the Friday before Easter or Pascha. It commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus at Calvary. Special prayer services are often held on this day with readings from the Gospel accounts of the events leading up to the crucifixion. Mainstream Christian churches view Christ's crucifixion as a voluntary and vicarious act, and one by which, along with resurrection on the third day, death itself was conquered.
In Palestine, Jesus' birthplace, it is known as "Big Friday." In the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria (and Eastern Orthodox Church in general) the day is called Great Friday. --source wikipedia.org

I think that does make it a great friday!
just push some weight!

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 07:45:45 AM »
Good Friday is a holy day celebrated by most Christians on the Friday before Easter or Pascha. It commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus at Calvary. Special prayer services are often held on this day with readings from the Gospel accounts of the events leading up to the crucifixion. Mainstream Christian churches view Christ's crucifixion as a voluntary and vicarious act, and one by which, along with resurrection on the third day, death itself was conquered.
In Palestine, Jesus' birthplace, it is known as "Big Friday." In the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria (and Eastern Orthodox Church in general) the day is called Great Friday. --source wikipedia.org

I think that does make it a great friday!

That's Easter, not Friday 13th.

This is the second time this year and there are two Friday 13th again next year.

(which is statistically uncommon)

Linda
x

I reckon any Friday is good
(but it certainly was never Jesus' favorite day...

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 10:14:20 AM »
An old friend (ex-neighbour) visited an hour ago. 

He's a single father who had to fight for custody.  His wife ran off with someone else.

He's a musician (plays drums) and only ever seems to get travel expenses and/or a meal or minimum pay when he shows up and works and helps people out.  It's not that he's a failed musician, just an extremely badly paid one.

He's a lovely man, but always truly unfortunate.  A constant source of hard-luck stories.

He just told me he was born on Friday 13th.

sorry, you gotta giggle.  He didn't mind when I broke out laughing.  It's funny.

xLinda

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 10:21:54 AM »
Here's another reason why...

The number 13 may have been purposely vilified by the founders of patriarchal religions in the early days of western civilization because it represented femininity. Thirteen had been revered in prehistoric goddess-worshiping cultures, we are told, because it corresponded to the number of lunar (menstrual) cycles in a year (13 x 28 = 364 days). The "Earth Mother of Laussel," for example — a 27,000-year-old carving found near the Lascaux caves in France often cited as an icon of matriarchal spirituality — depicts a female figure holding a cresent-shaped horn bearing 13 notches. As the solar calendar triumphed over the lunar with the rise of male-dominated civilization, it is surmised, so did the number 12 over the number 13, thereafter considered anathema.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 10:30:52 AM »
Here's another reason why...

The number 13 may have been purposely vilified by the founders of patriarchal religions in the early days of western civilization because it represented femininity. Thirteen had been revered in prehistoric goddess-worshiping cultures, we are told, because it corresponded to the number of lunar (menstrual) cycles in a year (13 x 28 = 364 days). The "Earth Mother of Laussel," for example — a 27,000-year-old carving found near the Lascaux caves in France often cited as an icon of matriarchal spirituality — depicts a female figure holding a cresent-shaped horn bearing 13 notches. As the solar calendar triumphed over the lunar with the rise of male-dominated civilization, it is surmised, so did the number 12 over the number 13, thereafter considered anathema.

waaaaaa
well spotted....

I got my monthlies this morning.

makes sense.

xxx!!!
Linda

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »
You know what's just as stupid?  Most of our office buildings here don't have a "13th" floor, including mine.  Never mind that the 14th floor is actually the 13th.  It's really absurd IMO.