Author Topic: Steve Kuclo deadlifting 635 for three reps.  (Read 40029 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Re: Steve Kuclo deadlifting 635 for three reps.
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2006, 07:05:05 AM »

The deadlift is one of the least skill driven lifts.  Every lift requires neural acclimation to optimize your ability but the deadlift is definitely low on the skill scale especially when compared to something like a snatch. 

mmm.... snatch.... ;D

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2006, 08:35:34 AM »

The deadlift is one of the least skill driven lifts.  Every lift requires neural acclimation to optimize your ability but the deadlift is definitely low on the skill scale especially when compared to something like a snatch. 

I'm sure there's little tips that can make a deadlift "easier" to do.  I'm gonna work some deads into my workout as long as my back holds out, I've got alot of lower back "issues".
nasser=piece of shit

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »
I'm sure there's little tips that can make a deadlift "easier" to do.  I'm gonna work some deads into my workout as long as my back holds out, I've got alot of lower back "issues".

there are a few techniques like sitting back, keeping your hips low and driving with your heals but for the most part it's pure strength.

that is why i love the deadlift so much...raw power

Chris is extremely strong for a lifetime "natural", remember that...that is why i respect what he says.

i use an over under grip for anything under 3 reps and in competitions...i feel more powerful this way. the hook grip with over 600 pounds "without" straps is truely amazing, i won't try it for a while until i feel comfortable. you won't see anyone use a hook grip in a competition...i haven't.

Rocket - if you want a strong grip you need to ditch the straps. i used straps for years until i finally ditched them. it took me about a year to get my hand strength up to par with my deadlift weight. your hands will catch up if you force them to.

8)

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2006, 10:22:38 AM »

i use an over under grip for anything under 3 reps and in competitions...i feel more powerful this way. the hook grip with over 600 pounds "without" straps is truely amazing, i won't try it for a while until i feel comfortable. you won't see anyone use a hook grip in a competition...i haven't.

Olympic lifter mark henry told me he loves the hook grip and used it to clean 500 something.  Obviously that's Olympic lifting and not powerlifting.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2006, 10:32:32 AM »
Olympic lifter mark henry told me he loves the hook grip and used it to clean 500 something.  Obviously that's Olympic lifting and not powerlifting.

Exactly...you have to use a double over hand for cleans.

when olympic guys train they use a hook grip because there is no reason to use a over/under.

8)

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2006, 11:08:52 AM »
there are a few techniques like sitting back, keeping your hips low and driving with your heals but for the most part it's pure strength.

Chris is extremely strong for a lifetime "natural", remember that...that is why i respect what he says.

Rocket - if you want a strong grip you need to ditch the straps. i used straps for years until i finally ditched them. it took me about a year to get my hand strength up to par with my deadlift weight. your hands will catch up if you force them to.

8)

Actually, one of the Gillingham brothers, Brad I think (I get them confused sometimes), has pulled over 800 lbs using a hook grip.  There are a few others as well.
w

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2006, 11:09:20 AM »
Chris....all that weight makes you look like 5'5"....how tall are you?

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2006, 11:10:31 AM »

8)

Oh, and thank you.  In truth I dabbled just a touch (a VERY little) when I was 20 or so.  That was a LONG time ago and very little.

Chris
w

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2006, 03:40:57 PM »
Actually, one of the Gillingham brothers, Brad I think (I get them confused sometimes), has pulled over 800 lbs using a hook grip.  There are a few others as well.

Impressive!

a "few" others i'm sure...

8)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2006, 03:43:08 PM »
Chris,

You are not 40 percent, but in the 20s.

And half of that is body hair!
Ron: "I am lazy."

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2006, 04:05:55 PM »
Is there a chance to damage the thumb with a hook grip? I want to start using it but it didn't feel good in the least @ 315 when I tried it. I don't mind the pain but I don't want to tear off the thumb or do nerv damage LOL

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »
Is there a chance to damage the thumb with a hook grip? I want to start using it but it didn't feel good in the least @ 315 when I tried it. I don't mind the pain but I don't want to tear off the thumb or do nerv damage LOL
just go over/under it's a lot safer and you can handle more weight, don't believe this bullshit about uneven development that's a myth.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2006, 04:49:03 PM »
Chris....all that weight makes you look like 5'5"....how tall are you?

5'11.5"

I know what you mean.  I think it compressed my spine quite a bit!  ;D
w

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »
5'11.5"

I know what you mean.  I think it compressed my spine quite a bit!  ;D

Seriously...I was exaggerating...but you look a lot shorter than 5'11.5" in that particular photo.

I remember years ago reading an article of this janitor/powerlifter & they would do x-rays when he performed a dead lift.  The curvature of his spine looked like a damn question mark & he was like an inch shorter.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2006, 07:42:39 PM »

Hmm.. thought provoking.  I will definitely look at getting my hand strength in order when I feel that my deadlift cannot go much further.  Until I reach a sufficient poundage in terms of lifting I won't do anything about it.

But I admit, it is low priority. 

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2006, 06:02:49 AM »
just go over/under it's a lot safer and you can handle more weight, don't believe this bullshit about uneven development that's a myth.
I wish I could. Already partially torn both biceps.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2006, 08:58:30 AM »
Steve will be the first to tell you that his form wasn't perfect on that first rep.  We're just videoing some of our lifts because we had been asked to by various people over the last few years. 

Neither of us are powerlifters, and neither of us claim that we would even do well in powerlifting. 

I just like lifting.  I make no claims to be the best at anything, and I don't believe Steve does either. 

As far as form....I don't get too worked up about form like I used to.  I've studied all that.  I have a degree in Kinesiology, I've worked in Cardiac Rehab, Stress testing, Athletic Training, Personal training, etc.
I've had orthopedic assesment, Biomechanics, molecular aspects of muscle physiology, etc.  So, I know what good form is, and what isn't.  (or at least what those books and teachers told me about it..)

As far as form.....I've seen many people critique benedict magnusson and Andy Bolton's form at various times.....My feeling is, they're the two strongest deadlifters past or present (and since Benedict is so damn young, future for some time too), so whatever form they're using is probably right. 
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2006, 09:03:33 AM »
Trop: how come you and steve are staying very lean this offseason, (as seen in the pics DC posted), whereas last offseason he was very... well... not lean.

Are you trying out a different off season strategy, or just cuttin down on the pizza and cheesecake?

troponin

• Getbig III
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2006, 09:10:48 AM »
Trop: how come you and steve are staying very lean this offseason, (as seen in the pics DC posted), whereas last offseason he was very... well... not lean.

Are you trying out a different off season strategy, or just cuttin down on the pizza and cheesecake?

I always like to stay fairly lean in the offseason.  I don't try to stay contest shape, but I do like to look like a bodybuilder.  Last year, I only lost about 10lbs during my contest prep, so I did stay fairly lean.

With Steve, we knew he had to move up a weight class at his height, as heayweight wasn't going to cut it at the national level.  We actually thought he wasn't going to compete for more than a year, so he enjoyed himself a little more, and ate more than he would usually do. 
As I've said before, Steve is insanely dedicated.  He brings pre-cooked food everywhere.  He can get a little too dedicated IMO, so from time to time I try to tell him to let himself be a kid.  So, that was part of the reason too.  He enjoyed some of the foods he wouldn't usually enjoy last year.  But, being Steve, I still ate his normal food too....so the extra stuff was on top of his normal intake. 

It worked for him, as he got up to around 280 or more, and stayed at 270lbs most of the year.  He competed at around 240lb, so he lost about 30lbs during his prep. 
He's a legit super heavy now, so he's staying a bit leaner now.  This way, his prep for his next show won't be about how long it takes to lose the fat, but about how much time he'll need to "dial it in." 
He will be able to get in shape in much less time.  He'll still "diet" for as long, but, it won't just be about fat loss.  We'll get to focus more on finding the look that is best for him.
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2006, 09:45:54 AM »
But, being Steve, I still ate his normal food too....so the extra stuff was on top of his normal intake. 

Shame on you for eating poor steve's food troponin!  ;D

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2006, 01:36:57 PM »
Trop, are you saying that Steve got big while following the True Adonis diet?!!! 8)

troponin

• Getbig III
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2006, 02:10:32 PM »
Trop, are you saying that Steve got big while following the True Adonis diet?!!! 8)

Great....I'm going to be misquoted forever now. 

No, he still ate his normal food.  But, if some friends wanted to go out to eat, he would occasionally enjoy himself.  (as long as his normal food had been eaten)
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2006, 02:38:10 PM »
I have done 460 for 6 ass to floor.

6 reps? Hahaha. Ok.

I will bet $ 1000 that you cannot get even one repetition.

Not even with 440 lbs.

Post a video of you doing one rep with 440 lbs in the front squat ass to floor, and I will pay you $1000.

If you cannot post this, you pay me $1000.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
I want to see TA deadlift 225 for 113.

But he is feeling low lately because Jezzebelle dumped him.  His training partner Jake dropped the bomb about this on the MD forums last week.  Not sure how a blow-up doll can dump somebody, but anyway...

You are an idiot if you are going to keep spreading a lie.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2006, 04:06:34 PM »
6 reps? Hahaha. Ok.

I will bet $ 1000 that you cannot get even one repetition.

Not even with 440 lbs.

Post a video of you doing one rep with 440 lbs in the front squat ass to floor, and I will pay you $1000.

If you cannot post this, you pay me $1000.

YIP
Zack

Back squat, not front. I didn`t bother to watch the videos so I figured them to be reguarl squats.

The most front I ever did was 315 for 5.