Author Topic: Diebold source code leaked again....  (Read 12368 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Diebold source code leaked again....
« on: October 22, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »
Another breach on the e-voting front as elections near

October 21, 2006 (IDG News Service) -- Source code to Diebold Election Systems Inc. voting machines has been leaked once again.

On Wednesday, former Maryland state legislator Cheryl C. Kagan was anonymously given disks containing source code to Diebold's BallotStation and GEMS (Global Election Management System) tabulation software used in the 2004 elections. Kagan, a well-known critic of electronic voting, is Executive Director of the Carl M. Freeman Foundation, a philanthropic organization based in Olney, Maryland.

The disks were created and distributed by two federal voting machine testing labs run by Ciber Inc. and Wyle Laboratories Inc. They had been testing systems on behalf of the state of Maryland, Diebold said in a statement.

This is not the first time that Diebold source code has been leaked. In early 2003, Diebold critic Bev Harris uncovered similar source code while conducting research using Google Inc.'s search engine.

Soon after, researchers at Johns Hopkins University and Rice University published a damning critique of Diebold's products, based on an analysis of the software.

They found, for example, that it would be easy to program a counterfeit voting card to work with the machines and then use it to cast multiple votes inside the voting booth.

Diebold says it has since introduced security enhancements to its products, but the fact that the company's sensitive source code has again leaked out is not a good sign, according to Avi Rubin, a computer science professor with Johns Hopkins and one of the authors of the 2003 report.

The first leak should have taught Diebold a lesson on securing its source code, he said. "You would think that given the amount of embarrassment that caused them, they would do a better job of protecting it."

Rubin, who was shown the latest source code by a reporter at the Washington Post, said that it appeared to be "just another version" of the code that was published in 2003.

The disks came with a letter that was highly critical of Maryland State Administrator of Elections Linda Lamone, Rubin said on his blog. "It read like it was from somebody with a very, very serious axe to grind," he said. "It was one of the more outlandish things I've read."

Rubin believes the disks were given to Kagan because of her past criticism of electronic voting machines. "I guess whoever did this knew she would pursue it doggedly, which she did."

Diebold said the source code was for BallotStation 4.3.15C, which is no longer being used in the U.S., and for GEMS 1.18.19, which is being used in a "limited number of jurisdictions."

The FBI is investigating the leak, Diebold said.

The leak comes with just three weeks before elections in the U.S., but Maryland Board of Elections Deputy Administrator Ross Goldstein expressed confidence in the Diebold voting machines. The leaked code was "not software that's in use in this election," he said. "The software now is different and has many more security features."

Diebold echoed Goldstein's comments. "Voters and election officials can be confident that on Election Day, votes and vote totals will be safe, secure and accurate," the company said.

Kagan, however, wasn't so sure, saying that the security of the source code raised concerns. "The idea that it could be that readily available and could be delivered to me and who-knows-who-else around the state [is disturbing]," she said. "Who know what any other people may be doing with it?"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Diebold source code leaked again....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 05:01:50 PM »
LOL... so funny.

I watched a clip last night about this midwest congressman, he was way behind in polls, but won by a lot on eleciton day.  Turned out, he was on the board and a big owner in the company which makes election machines.  he won re-election too, despite being so behind in polls again. 

There's gonna be some serious questions being asked if Repubs do very very well on Nov 7 despite all polls and exit polls saying otherwise!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
LOL... so funny.

I watched a clip last night about this midwest congressman, he was way behind in polls, but won by a lot on eleciton day.  Turned out, he was on the board and a big owner in the company which makes election machines.  he won re-election too, despite being so behind in polls again. 

There's gonna be some serious questions being asked if Repubs do very very well on Nov 7 despite all polls and exit polls saying otherwise!
You're talking about Hagal right ;D

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 05:07:10 PM »
i miss the pics in your threads

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 05:08:41 PM »
must be hagal, yep.  so funny that no one would look into that.  And the 2004 Ohio ballots- repubs are suing to have the paper ballots destroyed lol...

Here's a Q... what should our nation do if it ever did come out that 2004 Ohio was stolen? Anything?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 05:21:34 PM »
i miss the pics in your threads
Cav22 finds women offensive and goes into a gay meltdown when I post nice ass... I miss the pics too...  Ah fuck him here... ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »
Clicky to Enlarge ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 05:34:15 PM »
LOL, you can almost smell it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 05:37:39 PM »
LOL, you can almost smell it.
Internet Scratch and Sniff ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 05:55:29 PM »
Internet Scratch and Sniff ;D

:o  Oh that was bad {lol}

There outta be a new rule that says no one is allowed to post girlie pics except Berserker!
...maybe Keith (onlyme) could too, if he asked real nice.  :P
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 06:18:37 PM »
people are gonna be suing left and right this november.  every candidate who was leading in the poll but lost.  Some rightfully, I'd guess.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
people are gonna be suing left and right this november.  every candidate who was leading in the poll but lost.  Some rightfully, I'd guess.

Reminds me of a movie I have on DVD

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=98102.msg1418289#msg1418289
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 06:32:37 PM »
:o  Oh that was bad {lol}

There outta be a new rule that says no one is allowed to post girlie pics except Berserker!
...maybe Keith (onlyme) could too, if he asked real nice.  :P

Jags, I can post pics too damnit.  And berserker, thanks so much.  now i was able to read the entire thread. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 06:37:44 PM »
Jags, I can post pics too damnit.  And berserker, thanks so much.  now i was able to read the entire thread. 

Sorry Migs. It's just that Keith & Berserker seem to maintain very high standards with their girlie pics.
The girlie pics they post are motherf-in things of beauty that will take your breath away {lol} (no I'm not a lesbian) whereas alot of the other guys seem to post some of the most revolting skanks that would make you wanna toss your cookies.  :-\
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 06:42:52 PM »
Sorry Migs. It's just that Keith & Berserker seem to maintain very high standards with their girlie pics.
The girlie pics they post are motherf-in things of beauty that will take your breath away {lol} (no I'm not a lesbian) whereas alot of the other guys seem to post some of the most revolting skanks that would make you wanna toss your cookies.  :-\

i'm hurt jags.  I beleive the Berserker can attest to the "motherf-in" beauties that i have posted.  Again, feels like you stabbed me in the heart....

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 06:45:05 PM »
i'm hurt jags.  I beleive the Berserker can attest to the "motherf-in" beauties that i have posted.  Again, feels like you stabbed me in the heart....

Ahhh... I'm sorry Miggly Poo. I don't remember seeing any, but if you say so, I'll take your word for it.  :)
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »
damn right you will take my word for it. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 07:56:24 PM »
damn right you will take my word for it. 

Don't try to grow a pair on me mister! ...I'll rip 'em off.   >:(
I like you cute, cuddly, and pliable, so I can spoil, pamper and indulge you, ...and embrace you to my bosoms.

w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 07:58:11 PM »
Don't try to grow a pair on me mister! ...I'll rip 'em off.   >:(
I like you cute, cuddly, and pliable, so I can spoil, pamper and indulge you, ...and embrace you to my bosoms.

yesum

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 08:06:22 PM »
Ahhh... I'm sorry Miggly Poo. I don't remember seeing any, but if you say so, I'll take your word for it.  :)
I can vouch for Migs.  I've got the rear uncovered and he's definitely a "tops" quality pic poster ;D

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 08:08:44 PM »
told ya! neener neener neeeeenerrr

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 08:10:35 PM »
...and co-decider of Booty Qaeda :P

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 08:17:18 PM »
yesum

That's Yes Ma'am, ...it gives me a warm tingly feeling in my nether regions.  :D

I like it when hunky men with sexy voices are cute & cuddly, ...and YOU my dear MigglyPoo have 1 very sexy voice!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »

OK. ok. I concede. You post prime trim as well. {lol}
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 08:22:23 PM »
...and co-decider of Booty Qaeda :P

durka durka thong along