Author Topic: keep pulling a muscle in my back...  (Read 16403 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
keep pulling a muscle in my back...
« on: October 23, 2006, 06:55:53 PM »
i dont know why but i keep pulling a muscle in my back. its in the lower back on the right side. im pretty sure its a pulled muscle i went to a chiropractor and he said it was a pulled muscle but i dunno. this injury has reoccurred at least 3 times throughout the past year in the same area. anybody know why i would keep pulling a muscle in the same area? thanks

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
Re: keep pulling a muscle in my back...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 06:09:46 AM »
Probably bad form.  Try dropping the weight on back excercises and try going for perfect form witha squeeze at the end.
It hasn't helped...

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 04:28:50 PM »
Probably bad form.  Try dropping the weight on back excercises and try going for perfect form witha squeeze at the end.
something im going to do from now on, I hurt my lower back from going to heavy on tbar rows.
bodybuildersreality.com

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
i dont know why but i keep pulling a muscle in my back. its in the lower back on the right side. im pretty sure its a pulled muscle i went to a chiropractor and he said it was a pulled muscle but i dunno. this injury has reoccurred at least 3 times throughout the past year in the same area. anybody know why i would keep pulling a muscle in the same area? thanks
Questions:
1.) Do your feet & legs always feel even when you stand?
2.) How far down is it on the side? It MAY be your hip.
3.) Have you gotten a second opinion?
4.) Do you get the pain from the same exercises? If so, what are they?

I had what I thought was a sprained lower back (with sypmtoms similar to yours) that I lived with (untreated) for about 3 years. The initial injury happened in my friend’s gym while doing bent over rows.
I also felt uneven when I stood too, but I paid that no mind. I already knew I had a shorter femur in my right leg from when I was a kid. Since the injury though, it had felt more pronounced.
Finally, I decided to have it looked at.

I’ve seen 3 different chiropractors and 1 physical therapist assist. (a buddy of mine).
My P.A. friend said it was a pelvic rotation and even adjusted me several times in the gym. I would feel some relief and could even stand close to even, but would easily knock things out of whack a short time later.
Chiro. #1 never took x-rays, but diagnosed my condition as stemming from my hip and a pelvic rotation.
Chiro. #2 substituted for #1 a few times and never questioned anything. Just read my chart, gave me a good “crack” and sent me on my way 1 co-pay poorer.
Chiro. #3 – the one I go to now – took x-rays first thing and declared my problems resulted from a combination of having a slight subluxation in my L5 as well as an even slighter size discrepancy in my right pelvis. He said the hip “may” play a minor role, but seemed more focused the L5. I think he was proud that he caught something (the L5) the other guy missed.
Oddly, he performed the same adjustment(s) as #1, although he said he was working on my lumbar instead of #1 who told me it was a hip adjustment.
#3 also said this particular adjustment (where you lay on your L side, L leg straight, R leg bent and crossing over your L leg, then the doc. applies downward pressure on the R knee) is used to treat multiple conditions in the lower body.

To this day I don’t know which of these doctors is right.

#3 and/or #1 could be full of #2, but all I know is the adjustments I get from the guy I go to now hold longer, better, and I experience MUCH LESS PAIN.

Talk some more with your Dr./Chiropractor and maybe talk to some other ones as well.
Your problem might not be what you think.

Back pain is nothing short of a  moth er f u cker!
Best of luck.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 07:08:10 AM »
Give it time to heal, if it feels better in two weeks, give it 4 weeks.   Thats always my advice, don't wait for an injury to quit hurting, however long it takes to quit hurting, give it the same amount of time it took to quit hurting.  If it quits hurting in 3 weeks, wait 3 more weeks to begin training it again.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 07:22:29 AM »
Give it time to heal, if it feels better in two weeks, give it 4 weeks.   Thats always my advice, don't wait for an injury to quit hurting, however long it takes to quit hurting, give it the same amount of time it took to quit hurting.  If it quits hurting in 3 weeks, wait 3 more weeks to begin training it again.

Thats what I would say, your not giving it enough time to heal.  Give it more time, lift lighter longer to make sure its strength builds back up properly.......and also check on your form cause that could be it also.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 07:46:42 AM »
Thats what I would say, your not giving it enough time to heal.  Give it more time, lift lighter longer to make sure its strength builds back up properly.......and also check on your form cause that could be it also.

I cringe when I hear people say, I haven't been able to work chest in two weeks, i've lost all my strength and all my size.  Folks tend to think they lose muscle mass in short amounts of time.   Another classic is, I can't believe its chest day again because my chest still hurts from the last workout.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 10:22:56 AM »
I have the same problem as well...I've seen 2 Chiropracs and they both say its a muscle sprain and nothing to do with the spinal region, I know it can be a real pain in the ass cos even at the slightest irritation the muscle goes into a spasm, sometimes its so bad that u feel like a  knife is goin through ur lower back...I've tried massage and somehow its helping me a lil bit....it has nothing to do with ur form, its just that sometimes the body says enough and shuts itself down, dun be depressed that u can't train, remember flex wheeler came back from a broken neck and spinal bone fracture. Keep the faith and pray everyday to God and ask, slowly but surely ur back pain will go away...trust me I'm going thru this rite now while I'm typin this. Take care and goodluck
ur momma

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 02:23:54 PM »
Could be any number of things including insufficient warmup, too much weight, etc. Use a process of elimination to find out where the problem lies.

Most back problems are muscular, are not related to more serious disc/spinal problems. Usually it's muscle strain or muscle spasm related to aggrevation-the muscles are generating the pain to protect against further, similar aggrevation in future.

IF you rest up for a few days or a week and get rid of the problem, then see it return even after good warmup, after keeping the reps moderate and using rests between sets a minute or less to keep the area warm, it could be exercise itself. You may have to find substitutes that will not aggrevate the back.

I had this exact problem about 2 months ago. Here's how i got rid of it:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=125739.0