Author Topic: Former Heavyweight Champ Trevor Berbick Found Dead RIP  (Read 3861 times)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
Former Heavyweight Champ Trevor Berbick Found Dead RIP
« on: October 28, 2006, 01:25:55 PM »
By HOWARD CAMPBELL, Associated Press Writer
October 28, 2006

AP - Oct 28, 2:28 pm EDT

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) -- Former heavyweight champion Trevor Berbick was found dead in a church courtyard Saturday with chop wounds to his head, police said.

Police are treating Berbick's death as a homicide, Inspector Victor Henry said. Berbick's body was discovered about 6:30 a.m. in his hometown parish of Portland, constable Beverly Howell said. No other details were immediately available.

Berbick, who was believed to be 52 and was beset by legal woes following his retirement from the ring, lost his heavyweight title to Mike Tyson and was the last boxer to fight Muhammad Ali.

After beating Ali in 1981 in a unanimous decision in the Bahamas, Berbick went on to win the WBC heavyweight title fours years later in a decision over Pinklon Thomas. His reign was short, however, as a 20-year-old Tyson knocked Berbick out in the second round of their bout on Nov. 22, 1986, to become the youngest heavyweight champion in history.

In his loss to Tyson in Las Vegas, Berbick was knocked down twice in the second round. After trying to get up from the second knockdown he fell another two times.

Berbick fought from 1976 to 2000, finishing with a 50-11-1 record, including 33 knockouts. He also fought for Jamaica at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. He was a strong puncher who moved well and had the potential to be a lasting force in the heavyweight division before the emergence of Tyson.

In spanning the Ali and Tyson eras, Berbick beat such fighters as Iran Barkley, Greg Page and John Tate. Among his losses were those to Buster Douglas, Renaldo Snipes and Larry Holmes.

Berbick's career soured following the loss to Tyson and he began to run into legal trouble.

In 1991, Berbick was convicted of misdemeanor assault for attacking his former business manager, who testified the boxer put a gun to her head and accused her of stealing money from him.

The following year, he was convicted in Florida of raping a family baby sitter and was sentenced to four years in prison. He also was convicted in 1992 of second-degree grand theft for forging his ex-wife's signature to get a mortgage on a home.

After serving 15 months in prison, Berbick was deported from the United States. He went to Canada, where he lived for a time following the 1976 Olympics. He eventually moved back to the U.S., but was deported a second time.

He had been living in Portland parish since 2002. Recently, he had been coaching boxing at clinics in Trinidad.

Though Berbick was believed to be 52, according to boxing records, other reports said he was as old as 56 or as young as 49.

"Legally, I'm a spirit," he once said. "I have no age."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=ApaB_PaguIVfQOOjTxJbT.g5nYcB?slug=ap-obit-berbick&prov=ap&type=lgns

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
Re: Former Heavyweight Champ Trevor Berbick Found Dead RIP
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 02:26:38 PM »
well we know it wasnt juice or suicide

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 02:28:46 PM »
ALL DRUGS.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 02:31:44 PM »
Good..

Another dead rapist...

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
  • Been to Hell and back! NEXT!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 06:38:26 PM »
"Chops wounds to the head"......? And the police are deciding to treat this as a "homicide"

NO SHIT!

News Flash: Nicole Simpson and Ronald Goldman were found with multiple stab wounds. Police are treating this as a homicide!

HOSTILE

• Getbig II
  • Im talented, yes Im gifted Never boosted, never sh
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 07:22:43 PM »
good size in this pic..................... ...... lets blame the juice from 20 yrs ago thats so fun to do !

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
  • Can't trust shadows after dark
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 09:54:52 PM »
Someone took a machete to his head. My cousin went the same way.  :'(
Don't let em fool ya

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 10:07:24 PM »
WOW!  I worked with Trevor in Ft. Meyers at his first fight after getting his ass kicked by Tyson.  We both judged a bikini contest at a new hotel that just opened in Ft. Meyers.  I was co-promoting the show but wasn't really to much handling the boxing side.  I know Joe Fraziers kid was fighting and also Camacho's brother or cousin.  Trevor and his trainer and me went to breakfast one day and they seemed to want me to know that Trevor was very sick the day he fought Tyson.  I got to find some pics.  This is one of the contestants in the bikini contest. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 10:50:58 PM »
you seem to know anybody who is anybody keith...

E
E

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 01:41:55 AM »

E

I don't say anything about half the people I know or worked with.  But yea Trevor was one of the boxers for the show I was promoting in Ft. Myers back in 88 I think.  He talked like he was really dumb.  I have a video of us getting introduced.  I know I had somewhere a pic but just don't know where.  Not really sure.  I had a press conference scheduled with him and Joe Frazier who was there supporting his son.  In fact it was the main reason my manager had me get a manicure.  But I got a call to goto San Diego to work on a film called Dangerous Curves with Leslie Nielson so I left early. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 01:50:53 AM »

E

Anyone mention ANY famous person, and I guarantee within 10 minutes Keith will chime in with a personal story involving that person.  ::)
Ron: "I am lazy."

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 02:13:57 AM »
Rest In Peace Trevor. :'(
Team Goodrum!

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 03:27:41 AM »
WOW!  I worked with Trevor in Ft. Meyers at his first fight after getting his ass kicked by Tyson.  We both judged a bikini contest at a new hotel that just opened in Ft. Meyers.  I was co-promoting the show but wasn't really to much handling the boxing side.  I know Joe Fraziers kid was fighting and also Camacho's brother or cousin.  Trevor and his trainer and me went to breakfast one day and they seemed to want me to know that Trevor was very sick the day he fought Tyson.  I got to find some pics.  This is one of the contestants in the bikini contest. 
whos that chick..looks kinda sweet
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 05:11:05 AM »
The passing of anyone is a tragedy.

Trevor was from here in Nova Scotia a place called North Preston. It is a shanty town with half finished houses with three broken down cars in each yard ( the fourth car is generally an Escalade or H2 if you get the pic.)

From what I understood he was a hood his whole life and walking on the bad side of the tracks was nothing new to him.

RIP T.B.

The Beef

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 05:34:12 AM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Here is a video of Larry Holmes jumping from the hood of a car, punching Berbick in mid-air, and KO'ing Berbick. 

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 07:29:58 AM »
RIP

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 07:35:59 AM »
The passing of anyone is a tragedy.

Trevor was from here in Nova Scotia a place called North Preston. It is a shanty town with half finished houses with three broken down cars in each yard ( the fourth car is generally an Escalade or H2 if you get the pic.)

From what I understood he was a hood his whole life and walking on the bad side of the tracks was nothing new to him.

RIP T.B.

The Beef

When I was down south I saw plenty of places like that. Living in a quonset hut or shack but with satellite dish on the house and a Cadillac in the front yard.
The House that Ruth built

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 08:14:21 AM »
I wonder....when Trevor went to prison for 15 months...do you think he got it in the arss, or would he be able to defend himself from anyone who showed up to his cell or shower stall?
Sleep Big.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
I wonder....when Trevor went to prison for 15 months...do you think he got it in the arss, or would he be able to defend himself from anyone who showed up to his cell or shower stall?

He clearly got it in the arse/shitter HARD
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 10:28:41 AM »
RIP :(
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 01:06:02 PM »
whos that chick..looks kinda sweet

That is Kristen Leslie.  She worked at Hooters when they sponsored me and was featured in Playboy.  Her husband (which I didn't know at the time) was Brutus the Barber Beefcake.  She has an unreal body.  Tall too