Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 2366 times)

rotiron

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Need Advice
« on: December 03, 2006, 08:04:56 AM »
Finished my 6 weeks of Radiation two weeks ago, had my visit with my oncologist last Monday and he went over two possible drugs I could take for the next five years.  After hearing that there is a 30% chance of getting uterine cancer and blood clots in the legs with Tamoxifen, I decided to go with the other drug that stops the production of estrogen.  The major side effect to that one is the danger of ostioparois (msp).  I am taking this pill, once a day for 5 years.  I know that diet, supplements and exercise is a way to ward off ostio and this is why I am coming to you for advice.  I walk for exercise, 1 hour a day, 13 minutes a mile.  I am sure that I will need to add weights, but what size, reps and for what areas.  What natural supplements should I take and what foods are rich in those vitamins that will help prevent ostio?  My medical team has been great in helping me beat BC, but I also respect your suggestions.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:06:48 AM »
my mum has osteoporosis, bad.  (she's like bent over double and carries far too much weight.  I'm told it's genetic & I need to look forward to it.

I need to know the answer to this too.

hope you'll be well.

x
x
x
L

I refuse to take hormones.
soya is supposed to be good but i hate the taste.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:16:18 AM »
ask jag

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 08:30:25 AM »
Hi rotiron,

I can't presume to give you medical advice as I'm not a health care professional. I understand osteoporosis can be thwarted by weight bearing exercise, as well as plenty of calcium and magnesium. A healthy diet rich in plenty of fruits & vegetables, especially dark green and leafy can be of benefit towards your overall good health. Develop a love affair with broccolli, romaine, spinach etc. (preferably raw)

The effects of osteoporosis are not limited to the spine, however this is one of the areas where it is most noticeable. In terms of exercise, you really want to be exercising all over. Not just the back muscles but all over. osteoporosis can affect the hips, limbs, etc, just as easily as the spine. You will also want to avoid soda and other highly acidic foods. These create such a chronic state of acidosis in our bodies that in an attempt to regain it's proper pH, our bodies will literally leach the calcium out of our bones & teeth.

One of the best low impact exercises you can do in my opinion is swimming. you can get a full body workout including cardio all-in-one.

You might also want to invest in some pH testing strips, and regularly test your bodies pH. This will help you to determine for yourself which foods create an acidic state in your body, and eliminate those foods accordingly.
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 09:03:04 AM »
What Judi said...

Weight training is the only form of exercise credited with actually strengthening bones and thereby reducing the risk of osteop. so it's def a great idea to get into a gym and start on an all-over training program. If you haven't worked out before, get started on a beginner routine and work from there. All the info indicates that piddling around with 5 pound weights won't do all that much, so you have to be prepared to work hard. Flexibility is important too, so adding a good stretching routine to the pot is also a good idea.

Be well Rotiron.  :)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 06:54:57 PM »
Deedee, those green stars look so good with your avatar.
Your avatar used to look primarily yellow, but now, accessorized by
those mod stars, ...they really bring out the green in your avatar's dress.  :D

ps - just a stupid girly observation.
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:21:23 PM »
those mod stars, ...
they really bring out the green in your avatar's dress.
  :D

Lol, Judi, I wish you would have said "my eyes."  :D

But actually, you're absolutely right! My dress is more lime than lemon now.   :)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
rotiron, I hope you're on your way to full recovery.

You may also want to duplicate your initial post on the Nutrition Board as well as the Training Board for a wider scope of information.

Be well :)
R

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 10:36:35 PM »

Lol, Judi, I wish you would have said "my eyes."  :D

But actually, you're absolutely right! My dress is more lime than lemon now.   :)

But I've never seen your eyes Deedee.
w

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 06:01:23 AM »
those mod stars, ...they really bring out the green in your avatar's dress.  :D

I love fluorescent green stars.  But I went out and got mini disco balls this year.  Is Christmas coming?
x

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 11:23:55 AM »
rotir, take STella's and Judi's advice, okay?  Post on the bigger board and you'll get all the info and support you need.

with love etc,
Linda

work hard.