Author Topic: FBB's...what made you start bodybuilding?  (Read 8028 times)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
FBB's...what made you start bodybuilding?
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:41:25 AM »
this is only for serious comments...none of that I wanna be a man crap you males post
X

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: FBB's...what made you start bodybuilding?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 01:10:50 PM »
Hmmm, I started out as a bb moved to fitness when the look became too extreme for my tastes. I have no idea why I started really. Liked the feeling of being strong, enjoyed lifting weights and wanted to push my body to the next level, saw pics of Everson and Mclish and wanted to try and emulate them...all that crap I guess.

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 03:08:20 PM »
I love training, I have great discipline and I wanted to see if I could do it...and I did 

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:37:13 PM »
my uncle was a bodybuilder, bought me my first weight set...also, family friends my age were into Arnold before anyone outside of bodybuilding knew who he was
X

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 02:37:06 PM »
Addiction to weight training I guess? Love to lift, be in the gym...I put on muscle very quickly in the first 3 years, without even eating or training right. Put on 20lbs of muscle in the 1st year. Competing just kinda followed. I had no intention of competing when I started...I didnt like the look of most pro female competitors at that time. (late 90s, when the look was at the most extreme.) They were getting alot of coverage in the magazines at the time though, which motivated me to compete. Not so anymore.... I have lost my enthusiasm a bit, and all the dieting takes its toll after a while. Might be time for a break.
1st intention was to compete in fitness, (this was before figure)but couldnt hang with the routines, no gymnastics background, and just got too big for that anyway

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 03:59:44 PM »
Addiction to weight training I guess? Love to lift, be in the gym...I put on muscle very quickly in the first 3 years, without even eating or training right. Put on 20lbs of muscle in the 1st year. Competing just kinda followed. I had no intention of competing when I started...I didnt like the look of most pro female competitors at that time. (late 90s, when the look was at the most extreme.) They were getting alot of coverage in the magazines at the time though, which motivated me to compete. Not so anymore.... I have lost my enthusiasm a bit, and all the dieting takes its toll after a while. Might be time for a break.
1st intention was to compete in fitness, (this was before figure)but couldnt hang with the routines, no gymnastics background, and just got too big for that anyway

Why not give powerlifting a year? A nice break from the regular routine.

There is raw lifting federations available, and USAPL, the biggest drug-tested federation (the IPF associate) allows for single-ply only.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:47:05 PM »
I always loved athletic physiques growing up.  I read through this book/autobiography of Arnold and loved all of the pictures.  I always hung out at an athletic club as a kid and all of the bodybuilders worked there or worked out there.  They actually showed bb competitions on tv and made a tv movie on women's bb....and I loved it.  This is where the seeds were planted.  I worked out to get stronger for sport activities during school.  I got serious later on in my twenties while working out with some friends who were competitors and one of them joked that I would make a great lightweight champ.  I thought it was a great idea because I'd always loved the look and the hard work it took to achieve that kind of physique.  I started competing and the rest is history.

INSOMNIA

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • we're all mad here
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 10:53:33 PM »
Why not give powerlifting a year? A nice break from the regular routine.

There is raw lifting federations available, and USAPL, the biggest drug-tested federation (the IPF associate) allows for single-ply only.

YIP
Zack

I have thought about it, but benching even light weight hurts my shoulders and collarbone. I cant seem to do regular deads without smashing the bar into my shins and knees....either Im built all wrong for it or someone needs to work with me on form, or the only thing I'd be good at is squatting. Powerlifting never really appealed to me...that style of training, the one rep max, all the suits and gear u gotta wear. I like the hardcore approach to training though!!

injuryprone

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 09:06:11 AM »
Maybe olympic lifts,

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 10:28:08 PM »
Does anyone remember watching this movie? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51uWRxJYnY

This was the tv movie I mentioned that got me turned on to bodybuilding.  There are a lot of famous women featured here.  It was called "Getting Physical."  I think that Alexandra Paul was the star in it.  She has stayed so fit over the years.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »
Getting Physical, no more misreble!  yeah I remember it
X

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 10:08:42 PM »
After dumping my ex husband I got fat. I mean 35% bodyfat 185lbs on a 5'5" frame that previously had weighed 125lbs on a fat day. I looked in the mirror one day and just shuddered. That was 8 years ago. I've been pulling in 1st place trophies all over in Masters and Open Heavyweight. This last season I just brought home my first Overall. Next season it's all National level shows. Not bad for a past fat girl...

Forbidden

• Getbig III
  • Live well, laugh often, love much
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 01:08:55 AM »
After dumping my ex husband I got fat. I mean 35% bodyfat 185lbs on a 5'5" frame that previously had weighed 125lbs on a fat day. I looked in the mirror one day and just shuddered. That was 8 years ago. I've been pulling in 1st place trophies all over in Masters and Open Heavyweight. This last season I just brought home my first Overall. Next season it's all National level shows. Not bad for a past fat girl...

Congratulations!  What a great acheivement you must be over the moon.  What does the ex think about it all.  I bet he is kicking himself, you probably look great any pics you want to post up.  I especially like to see before and after shots I think they are so inspirational.  I love that biggest loser show I am addicted to it.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 07:56:41 AM »
I went through my pictures and pulled out the FAT pictures, when I lose some more weight they will be nice to have
X

Forbidden

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 02:35:11 PM »
I was an aerobic instructor and then started going out with a bodybuilder from the gym, he suggested that I compete in a comp so I did and well the rest is history.  I was hooked after my first comp placing 2nd.

SuperQT

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 10:08:11 PM »
Started in figure and was told that my body was better suited for BB. To be competive in figure I would have to lose a lot of size and muscle. I am not feeling the direction that figure is taking right now so I am giving BB a go.

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 10:17:36 PM »
I was an aerobic instructor and then started going out with a bodybuilder from the gym, he suggested that I compete in a comp so I did and well the rest is history.  I was hooked after my first comp placing 2nd.
You GO girl! That's awesome!

Forbidden

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 11:09:30 PM »
You GO girl! That's awesome!

Thanks very much, yeah I am pretty into it now and I love it.  I started out as a bodybuilder and I then went to figure after I had my two kids as I just couldnt keep up what it took to be a FBB.  I am still having a good time but I kinda feel as though I am just half hearted now cos I just love the muscle.  Oh well I love my kids more ha ha!!!