Author Topic: Voters Reject Gay Marriage . . . Again  (Read 3565 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Voters Reject Gay Marriage . . . Again
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 06:25:02 AM »
Have you heard the latest for what the city of New York is doing?  The city council is looking to pass a measure that will allow New Yorkers to change their gender legally, regardless if they've had a sex change.  That would make it easier for a homosexual couple to slide any rulings that might ban same-sex marriage. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 07:44:11 AM »
Have you heard the latest for what the city of New York is doing?  The city council is looking to pass a measure that will allow New Yorkers to change their gender legally, regardless if they've had a sex change.  That would make it easier for a homosexual couple to slide any rulings that might ban same-sex marriage. 

Somebody posted that the other day.  Wild. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 02:01:25 PM »

We talked about that already.  Try to keep up.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=105531.0

Puller

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 02:06:33 PM »
mar‧riage  /ˈmærɪdʒ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mar-ij] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc. 

There is no such thing as gay marraige. If gays want to have civil unions and share benefits, whether or not I personnally think it's right, that's one thing. That is their choice. But marraige is between a man and a woman.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 02:08:49 PM »
We talked about that already.  Try to keep up.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=105531.0

Yeah Colossus.  What are you doing, working?  Get your priorities in order.   ;D

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »
Yeah Colossus.  What are you doing, working?  Get your priorities in order.   ;D
Yeah, the nerve of a guy actually working when there's GETBIG.   ::)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 02:34:30 PM »

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 11:01:41 PM »

Obviously, not everyone reads or interprets the bible the same way; not everyone thinks the Bible condemns homosexuality.   

Leviticus 20:13-
'If a man also lie with man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death.  their blood shall be upon them.

Romans 1: 26-32
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections; for even their women did exchange the natural use for that which is against nature;
And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another, men with men working that which is unseemly, and recieving in themselves that recompense of their error which was fitting.....
32:  Who, knowing the judgement of God, that they who commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same but have pleasure in them that do them.

i don't know what bible you're reading.  pretty simple to me.

there's only one way to interpret that.
W

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 07:26:17 AM »
:)

I’m not worried.  The reason all these “bans” are popping up is because they know it is going to happen.  It’s already happening.  Cities, states, and local governments are already starting to recognize gay marriage/civil unions.  It’s happening in VT, MA, CA, NY, and most recently in NJ.

Sure, there will be holdouts, but eventually every single domino is going to fall.  If nothing else competition and $ will make them fall.  States that don’t offer equality will lose professionals who have the option to leave and they will take their money with them.

Already, virtually all of the top universities in the country offer domestic partner benefits to G&L couples because they started to lose faculty to the competition if they didn’t offer it.  $ talks louder than bigotry or religion.  As more and more outspoken conservatives are outed (there are a lot more Ted Haggards out there) the movement against G&L unions will continue to lose its “moral” authority.

Conservatives are not going to win this one and they know it.  Even intolerant people like Dick and Lynne Cheney had to suck up the fact that their daughter is a big old dyke and she has a long time lover.

The “problem” with gays and lesbians is that we are YOU.  We are your kids, your brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, your teachers, your pastors, reverends, firemen, policemen, politicians, actors, singers, and everything else.  It’s easy to hate an anonymous gay boogieman... but it’s harder to deny equality to your own child, sister, etc.

great post dude. I know we don't always agree. But I am impressed. Thanks.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »
great post dude. I know we don't always agree. But I am impressed. Thanks.

There's plenty more where that came from.  ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »
Leviticus 20:13-
'If a man also lie with man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death.  their blood shall be upon them.

Romans 1: 26-32
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections; for even their women did exchange the natural use for that which is against nature;
And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another, men with men working that which is unseemly, and recieving in themselves that recompense of their error which was fitting.....
32:  Who, knowing the judgement of God, that they who commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same but have pleasure in them that do them.

i don't know what bible you're reading.  pretty simple to me.

there's only one way to interpret that.

Quotations of Scripture might be compelling if you actually adhered to Scripture in your own life, but since you don’t (selectively) quoting it is laughable.

Suffice to say, I don’t believe in your god and you don’t believe in mine so all this religious talk is nonsense--particularly in a country where we subscribe to the separation of (any) church and State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 09:54:12 AM »
Quotations of Scripture might be compelling if you actually adhered Scripture in your own life, but since you don’t (selectively) quoting it is laughable.

Suffice to say, I don’t believe in your god and you don’t believe in mine so all this religious talk is nonsense--particularly in a country where we subscribe to the separation of (any) church and State.

It's not that simple.  People bring their entire life experience and convictions to the polls.  Religion is a huge part of our communities.  The overwhelming majority of legislators have some kind of religious beliefs.  I believe in church/state separation, but you cannot separate religion from public life.   

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 05:18:40 PM »
Quotations of Scripture might be compelling if you actually adhered Scripture in your own life, but since you don’t (selectively) quoting it is laughable.

i'm a sinner and i recognize that and i try to change my bad habits.  i accept what is right and wrong and try to do the right things in my life.  the difference with you is you will never accept what is wrong and will use everything you can to justify your lifestyle choices.  as much as society won't accept it, there are issues in today's world that are black and white, right and wrong.  homosexuality is sin, it is wrong.

for you to say i don't adhere to the Scripture doesn't make any sense,  you don't know me from adam's house cat.  i have issues i struggle with in life, i sin but like i said, i know what i do is wrong and i try to change those things in my life.

for you say this religious talk is nonsense makes my point.  you don't want to hear what you do is wrong, you want people to accept your lifestyle. i honestly don't care what your lifestyle is, do what you want, just don't try to force everyone who doesn't think the way you do to accept it.  it has been voted on by the people, no gay marriage.  how more powerful can you get than that???

as much as the gay community is trying to change it, this is not a "do what you want" society.  we must have morals and standards to live by.     
W

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »
i'm a sinner and i recognize that and i try to change my bad habits.  i accept what is right and wrong and try to do the right things in my life.  the difference with you is you will never accept what is wrong and will use everything you can to justify your lifestyle choices.  as much as society won't accept it, there are issues in today's world that are black and white, right and wrong.  homosexuality is sin, it is wrong.

for you to say i don't adhere to the Scripture doesn't make any sense,  you don't know me from adam's house cat.  i have issues i struggle with in life, i sin but like i said, i know what i do is wrong and i try to change those things in my life.

for you say this religious talk is nonsense makes my point.  you don't want to hear what you do is wrong, you want people to accept your lifestyle. i honestly don't care what your lifestyle is, do what you want, just don't try to force everyone who doesn't think the way you do to accept it.  it has been voted on by the people, no gay marriage.  how more powerful can you get than that???

as much as the gay community is trying to change it, this is not a "do what you want" society.  we must have morals and standards to live by.     
Beautifully said!!!!  Big time applause for this post!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 05:43:33 PM »

thanks mark foley

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 07:20:50 PM »
it has been voted on by the people, no gay marriage.  how more powerful can you get than that???

Let’s see... the Declaration of Independence.  The Constitution.  The Supreme Court.  Justice.  Equality.  All are more powerful than the vote of shortsighted, easily manipulated, people.  Just look at how easily people were manipulated into supporting a war in Iraq.  Fortunately, right and wrong and issues of equality are not simply a matter of popular opinion.  At one time, a majority of people in the US thought slavery was perfectly OK.  That majority was dead wrong.

If we wanted to do so, a majority of people could decide to change the age of consent in this country to a ridiculously low number, but majority opinion alone does not determine right and wrong.

You live by your standards (if you can) and I’ll live by mine.  I don’t expect you to believe in my god; don’t expect me to believe in yours.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 07:27:17 PM »
Beautifully said!!!!  Big time applause for this post!

thank you
W

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 07:50:06 PM »
Let’s see... the Declaration of Independence.  The Constitution.  The Supreme Court.  Justice.  Equality.  All are more powerful than vote of shortsighted, easily manipulated, people. 

You live by your standards (if you can) and I’ll live by mine.  I don’t expect you to believe in my god; don’t expect me to believe in yours.

there is absolutely nothing more powerful a US citizen can do than vote.  it is what makes us the greatest country on earth.  for you to call everyone that voted AGAINST your beliefs shortsighted, manipulated is not right. 

again, your standards is of no issue to me, as mine is of no issue to you.  live how you want to live.  i've just had enough of having the "equal rights for gays" thrown in my face every time i turn on the tv or open a newspaper.

i want to make sure i'm understood here, your sins are no greater than mine and my sins no greater than yours.  we will both have to answer for them one day.     
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 09:56:49 PM »
Mighty Mouse you are all right in my book.  Not just because one of my daughter's is nicknamed Mighty Mouse, but because you are sincere and you make sense.  Keep speaking the truth. 

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 10:41:09 PM »
Mighty Mouse you are all right in my book.  Not just because one of my daughter's is nicknamed Mighty Mouse, but because you are sincere and you make sense.  Keep speaking the truth. 

thanks beach for the compliment.
it seems people with my opinions are becoming very few and far between.  which is kind of sad because america needs some backbone-people to stand up for what's right.

i know i'm very set in my ways and stubborn; the wife reminds me every day!!   ;D

thanks again

W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »
thanks beach for the compliment.
it seems people with my opinions are becoming very few and far between.  which is kind of sad because america needs some backbone-people to stand up for what's right.

i know i'm very set in my ways and stubborn; the wife reminds me every day!!   ;D

thanks again

I suggest you wait till your wife falls asleep and then tell her how wrong she is.  At least that's what I do.  I always win that argument.   :)

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2006, 12:17:15 AM »
I suggest you wait till your wife falls asleep and then tell her how wrong she is.  At least that's what I do.  I always win that argument.   :)

oh yeah.  when my wife falls asleep, i'm the man of the house    :D
W

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2006, 10:37:16 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6198762.stm
Golden promise for SA gay wedding
A jewellers wants to give the first gay couple to marry in South Africa 20,000 rand ($2,800) worth of jewellery.

Uwe Koetter Jewellers in Cape Town says it will present the "handcrafted and designed wedding bands" at the couples' wedding ceremony in person.

New legislation takes effect from Friday, allowing same-sex couples to get married. The law was changed following a court ruling last year.

South Africa becomes the first African country where gay people can wed.

Cashing in
"In order to qualify... we need documents that prove where the venue is and who is officiating. We will present the bands in person at the wedding ceremony itself," said head jewellery designer Johan Louw, South African Press Association reports.

Other businesses are hoping to make money in the rush for so-called "pink weddings".

The Sheraton Hotel in Pretoria says it is going to offer tailor-made wedding services to same-sex couples and has employed its own on-site gay wedding co-ordinator to liaise with same-sex fiances.

"Obviously there will be a few things that will be different from your so-called traditional weddings," the Sheraton's media spokesperson Willie Williams told The Star newspaper.

"You will see two miniature brides or two little grooms on the wedding cake, and that kind of thing," he said.

The law was approved by MPs two weeks ago despite objections from religious groups and traditional leaders.

The Constitutional Court ruled last year that the existing laws discriminated against homosexuals.

The ruling was based on the constitution, which was the first in the world specifically to outlaw discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

This is unusual in Africa where homosexuality is largely taboo - notably in its neighbour Zimbabwe.

Are you planning to marry under the new Civil Union Act when into comes into law on Friday? Use the form below to let us know if you want to share your experiences.

Name
Your E-mail address
Phone number (optional):
Town & Country
Comments

sandycoosworth

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »
a simple solution would be to give gay people a legalized union with another name, like a "queerage" or something

but that wouldnt make teh fags happy cause their main goal here is to make the rest of the country eat shit by forcing them to acknowledge their union, being allowed to f**k each other into immuno deficiency just isnt enough anymore :D

in my humble opinion we should let em do it but charge them 10x as much for a licence and make some $$$ off of their illusions

Genius!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2006, 05:49:47 AM »
Conservative Rabbis Allow Ordained Gays, Same-Sex Unions
By Alan Cooperman
Thursday, December 7, 2006; A17

NEW YORK, Dec. 6 -- A panel of rabbis gave permission Wednesday for same-sex commitment ceremonies and ordination of gays within Conservative Judaism, a wrenching change for a movement that occupies the middle ground between orthodoxy and liberalism in Judaism.

The complicated decision by the Conservatives Movement's Committee on Jewish Law and Standards leaves it up to individual seminaries whether to ordain gay rabbis and gives individual rabbis the option of sanctioning same-sex unions. Reform Judaism, the largest branch of the faith in the United States, has ordained openly gay men and lesbians since 1990 and has allowed its rabbis to perform same-sex commitment ceremonies since 2000. Orthodox Judaism does not countenance same-sex relationships or the ordination of gay rabbis.

Like many Protestant denominations, Conservative Jews are divided over homosexuality: torn between the Hebrew scriptures' condemnation of it as an "abomination" and a desire to encourage same-sex couples to form long-lasting, monogamous relationships.

Though stopping short of endorsing same-sex marriage, the rabbis wanted to allow commitment ceremonies "because in Jewish sexual ethics, promiscuity is not acceptable either by heterosexuals or by homosexuals, and we do in fact have both a Jewish and a social and a medical need to try to confirm those unions," said Rabbi Elliot Dorff of Los Angeles, one of the authors of the change.

After years of discussion and two days of intense debate behind closed doors at a synagogue on Park Avenue, the law committee accepted three teshuvot, or answers, to the question of whether Jewish law allows homosexual sex. Two answers uphold the status quo, forbidding homosexuality.

But a third answer allows same-sex ceremonies and ordination of gay men and lesbians, while maintaining a ban on anal sex. It argues that the verse in Leviticus saying "a man shall not lie with a man as with a woman" is unclear, but traditionally was understood to bar only one kind of sex between men. All other prohibitions were "added later on by the rabbis," Dorff told reporters.

Four of the law committee's 25 members resigned in protest of the decision.

It takes the votes of just six panel members to declare an answer to be valid -- meaning that it is a well-founded interpretation of Jewish law, not that it is the only legitimate position. Thirteen members voted in favor of allowing gay ordination and same-sex ceremonies, and 13 voted against -- meaning that at least one rabbi voted for both positions.

Rabbi Joel Meyers, executive vice president of the Rabbinical Assembly, an association of 1,600 Conservative rabbis, predicted that some rabbis will choose not to preside at same-sex ceremonies, and he said no rabbi would be required to perform them.

There are five seminaries that ordain Conservative rabbis. One of them, the University of Judaism in Los Angeles, is expected to begin ordaining gays in the near future. The movement's flagship seminary, the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City, is likely to take more time. Its new chancellor, Arnold Eisen, has said he favors the change but will allow the faculty to debate the question, starting as soon as Thursday.

The other seminaries -- in Israel, Argentina and the Czech Republic -- are more traditional and may adopt the change slowly, if at all.

The issue has been particularly difficult for the Conservative movement, which claims about 2 million members worldwide, because it does not lightly depart from traditional Jewish law, or halakha. Conservative Jews generally keep the kosher dietary rules and observe the Sabbath, though perhaps not as strictly as Orthodox Jews do.

Since the mid-1980s, however, the Conservative movement has departed from traditional law in several ways, including ordaining women, permitting Jews to drive to synagogue on the Sabbath, and eliminating special treatment of "illegitimate" children.

Some Conservative Jews argue that the reconsideration of homosexuality is no more significant, in terms of Jewish law, than these other changes. But Rabbi Joel Roth, a professor at the Jewish Theological Seminary who was among those who resigned from the law committee, said he considers the change to be "outside the pale of acceptable halakhic reasoning."

Rabbi Jerry Epstein, chief executive of the association of 700 Conservative synagogues in North America, said he did not know whether any of them would leave the movement in protest. He said he believes that they are about evenly divided for and against allowing same-sex ceremonies.

As the Conservative rabbis met in New York this week, they were conscious that they were not only deciding an important matter for their constituency but were also contributing to a national debate on the status of same-sex couples. Dorff said he hoped that the adoption of two optional, conflicting positions would serve as a model for other religious groups of how to handle deep disagreements, "so movements don't have to split up over these kinds of things."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/06/AR2006120601247.html