Author Topic: Rotator cuff surgery  (Read 2442 times)

5474n

• Getbig I
Rotator cuff surgery
« on: November 09, 2006, 05:07:36 PM »
I did search and found some information on this site, but I wanted to get
everyone's opinion on wether or not to get surgery.

I have torn about 90% of one of my rotator cuff tendons and am not sure if I want to get
surgery or not. The orthopedic surgeon said it won't get much better and may actually
get worse in the future. (this is, however, how he makes his money though)
I still can do most my workouts, although that shoulder is weaker.

If I don't need to I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of not being able to
work out for a while.

Also if anyone has had this surgery, what was your experience like? Recover time?

cjp

• Getbig I
Re: Rotator cuff surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 02:52:12 AM »
gidday
i had my shoulder operated on just over 3 weeks ago, I would recommend getting it sorted although the recovery sux, I still cant move my arm away from my body but the pain has almost gone.
i think going through 6 weeks of crapis worth having it sorted, my surgen said it was about a 10% chance of not working but in his experience that only happens when people dont do their exercises or when older (60+) people get it done.

it is hard though watching ur muscle disappear because u cant move your arm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knowledge

• Getbig II
  • Don't hate me cause you ain't me
Re: Rotator cuff surgery
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 11:34:22 AM »
Just out of curiosity which tendon is it?  There have been major advances in rotator surgery I just wrote a 17 page paper on it for the end of the semester with proper rehab its likely you could return to normal ADLs and sports.