Author Topic: Tards Balancing on Exercise Balls  (Read 7495 times)

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
Re: Tards Balancing on Exercise Balls
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 08:22:28 AM »
Obvious comeback from Mongo the strongman. Relax Bam Bam, very few care how strong you are in your little local gym.

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 08:22:37 AM »
I`ve seen this phenomenon at my gym as well.

It seems that the majority of these turds are being "trained" to do so by "certified" personal trainers.

The funniest part is that at my gym, one of the trainers was just promoted from the guy who would wipe down the machines and put the weights back.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 08:24:26 AM »
I just joined a new gym.  There was a guy and his girlfriend or wife training with one of those rubber balls but it is only half a one with a solid bottom.  They would stand on the flat part and balance themselves while doing some dumbell work.  It was fucking hilarious watching these two.  Every other rep they would fall off or start to teter to one side.  They were doing side laterals and kept fallingoff so the other one would hold them.  It truly was a sight.

Why do dudes want to train with their wife's anyway? Like if they use to spend 24/7 together.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 08:25:05 AM »
Don't knock the exercise if you don't understand the concept Mongo. There's a little more to weight training than maxing out. I love you local, amateur, "bodybuilders". Dime a dozen.
That should be done in a fitness centre away from a crowd of people tying to train. If this guy falls, he could seriously hurt someone. With all of todays modern day equipment, surly he could find a better way to train his legs. Its these "fitness guys" that are a dime a dozen. You always catch them doing ridiculous things that in a gym and they always get in the way of people who are trying to train.

PB

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 08:26:55 AM »
It's an exercise to help athletic performance. Ever hear of balance. It would have no use to you meatheads with the zits on your shoulders but it would help an ATHLETE who plays an ATHLETIC sport.

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 08:34:01 AM »
He pays the same dues you do Playboy. Maybe he thinks you're in HIS way. And maybe he thinks what you're doing is ridiculous.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 08:45:52 AM »
He pays the same dues you do Playboy. Maybe he thinks you're in HIS way. And maybe he thinks what you're doing is ridiculous.
Then if thats the case he should join a fitness gym and not a bodybuilders gym. They have fitness centers for people who want to train like that. You don't join a bodybuilding gym to do pushups and situps. Or in his case ball squats. Frankly, what he is doing on that ball is dangerous and could hurt someone. It has Zero value in a bodybuilding gym with modern day equipment. I wish you pipsqueaks would understand that.

PB

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 08:46:44 AM »
Obvious comeback from Mongo the strongman. Relax Bam Bam, very few care how strong you are in your little local gym.
Thats because he's telling the truth.

PB

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 08:48:52 AM »
I`ve seen this phenomenon at my gym as well.

It seems that the majority of these turds are being "trained" to do so by "certified" personal trainers.

The funniest part is that at my gym, one of the trainers was just promoted from the guy who would wipe down the machines and put the weights back.

HAA HAA - at my gym when the personal trainers are busy, the guy/girl who wipes down the machines trains/gives advice.. :-\
K

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 09:00:47 AM »
Just because he's not grunting with his back arched on a bench press or walking around with wraps on his legs doesn't mean what he's doing is useless. As I said, maybe he's an ATHLETE, training for a sport. If you ever had the chance to check out an NFL weightroom in the off season, you would see all types of exercises which the average meathead from the local gym wouldn't understand. There are many pipsqueaks that would blow you away in athletic ability.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 09:16:40 AM »
I think the tards here are those who havnt yet grasped the concept of doing an exercise like this.  He's obviously not doing it for MASSIVE QUADS... jeez. 
Little something called balance, rehab, working around existing injuries, motor unit recruitment, etc. 
Seriously.  This pic has been posted like 99million times and I'm still willing to bet that maybe two people on this entire board could pull this off.  A feat nonetheless if only a few can do it right?

C'mon,  nobody in their right mind would advise squats on a swiss ball for rehab.  If it's balance you are after, then perform one legged bodyweight squats or something else SAFE, but what you see here is just not safe.   I would hope that there are no more then 2 people who are willing to pull this stunt off, because I don't think people are that dumb to attempt it.  Bottom line:  There are plenty of exercises for balance, rehab and motor unit recruitment which are far safer then squatting on a ball with a barbell on your shoulders. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 09:20:09 AM »
Don't knock the exercise if you don't understand the concept Mongo. There's a little more to weight training than maxing out. I love you local, amateur, "bodybuilders". Dime a dozen.

hahaha. Translation: You one day aspire to be as massive as an A&F model. hahahaha, queer.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 09:29:54 AM »
It's an exercise to help athletic performance. Ever hear of balance. It would have no use to you meatheads with the zits on your shoulders but it would help an ATHLETE who plays an ATHLETIC sport.

If it's balance he's after why the barbell on the shoulders?  He doesn't need more then bodyweight if he's truly working on balance.   Why not a simple one-legged bodyweight squat or something else safe?  What's next, people lying in the legpress machine inverted doing next extensions?

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 09:35:29 AM »

It doesnt halp Athletic Performance one bit.

Swiss Ball Use and Abuse:  Q&A with Charles Poliquin

Q: You've written some articles in the past about the use of Swiss balls. Today it seems like stability balls and their ilk are being abused and overused. Have your feelings changed about Swiss balls?

A: The problem with Swiss balls is that people started doing things with them that their bodies weren't designed to do! For example, squatting on the Swiss ball is completely moronic. It's a party trick.

One of the problems is that you have to squat bowlegged. There's actually one guy in the industry who was showing off by doing it at a seminar. He jumped off and blew his ACL! What happens is that you put the ligament in a bad stretch from squatting bowlegged.

Now, if you use the Swiss ball to modify the strength curve like I've done with some arm training movements, I think that's fine.

With Poliquin's lean-away eccentric curls, you sit with your back and triceps resting against the side of a Swiss ball. Perform the concentric (lifting) range of a seated dumbbell curl. Once you curl the dumbbells to the top, raise your hips so that your thighs are parallel to the floor. Your upper body should then be literally on top of the ball. Lower the dumbbells down and away from you. Lower the hips and repeat until you hit your target number of reps.

Also, Swiss balls are good for certain core exercises. The problem is when people say that Swiss balls cure cancer and get the IRS off your back. There are people out there making outrageous claims.

Recent research has shown that Swiss ball training for your core works only for six weeks (which is what I've been saying since '94). You'll get more abdominal activation from the squat and deadlift than any Swiss ball exercise, no matter how difficult. So if you're an untrained person, you can do the Swiss ball, but after six weeks you'll top out on the gains you'll get.

About 70% of Swiss ball exercises are worthless. It's just one of those things where people are taking an idea too far. There's some value to it, but it's not a cure-all.

Most personal trainers and strength coaches just don't know how to get people strong. I remember talking to this one trainer who uses all these stability gizmos. I asked him why he used all that shit and he said, "I'm not good, so I have to do these weird things so people will come to see me."

I remember seeing him make this post-menopausal woman do one-hand split jerks with a fat dumbbell. Now, Adam Nelson is one of the best shot-putters in the world and I don't make him do that! The risks are way too high.

The problem with using Duradisks and similar devices is that you have to use loads that are so insignificant that none of the prime movers really get activated. So if a woman can overhead press a 25-pound dumbbell, she'll only be able to use an eight pounder while performing this circus act on a stability device. She just won't be overloading her muscles.

I call it "entertainment training," not strength training. And any time I see that horseshit, I want to kick the personal trainer in the head with a pair of steal-toe construction boots.

And the BOSU ball? The BOSU ball is a Swiss ball for morons! Again, when you stand on it you're always bowlegged. Why do you want to get into a position that's not good for your knees and ankles? What about doing it on one foot? So what, then you have to reduce the load!

One of the dumbest things I see is the lying dumbbell press on a Swiss Ball using only one arm. The most a 180 pound guy will be able to use is about 45 pounds. Why? Because if you use more, you're going to flip over. Now, the same guy can use much more than 45 pounds to do regular flat dumbbell presses. So what's the point?

"Oh, it activates the core." Yeah, and to what degree? All you're doing is firing some stabilizers just to control yourself so you don't flip over, but you're not overloading the pressing muscles. So again, this is just entertainment training. It's circus training and it doesn't do anything!

Now, these devices do work well... in marketing terms. It's like

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2006, 09:44:57 AM »
C'mon,  nobody in their right mind would advise squats on a swiss ball for rehab.  If it's balance you are after, then perform one legged bodyweight squats or something else SAFE, but what you see here is just not safe.   I would hope that there are no more then 2 people who are willing to pull this stunt off, because I don't think people are that dumb to attempt it.  Bottom line:  There are plenty of exercises for balance, rehab and motor unit recruitment which are far safer then squatting on a ball with a barbell on your shoulders. 

I agree. Very dangerous all around. Still though, you've got to admit, this would gather a crowd in the gym just the same as a dude thats going to attempt to sqaut 5-6 wheels for any amount of reps, or try to bench some ludicrous amount of weight??

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006, 09:49:19 AM »
I agree. Very dangerous all around. Still though, you've got to admit, this would gather a crowd in the gym just the same as a dude thats going to attempt to sqaut 5-6 wheels for any amount of reps, or try to bench some ludicrous amount of weight??

Not in a REAL gym

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2006, 10:05:24 AM »
The point we're trying to make is that just because it doesn't conform to the average gymrat's pseudo bodybuilding routine doesn't mean it doesn't belong in a particular type of gym. Weight training minus the maxing out has a great usefulness in athletics and keep in mind, when someone is training for an athletic sport, there are most likely many people who care about what he's trying to accomplish. The only one who cares about what the average meathead is doing is the meathead himself.    And Showstoppa, the "translation" thing is an old Internet posting thing. You sound like you're right out of the projects.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »
The point we're trying to make is that just because it doesn't conform to the average gymrat's pseudo bodybuilding routine doesn't mean it doesn't belong in a particular type of gym. Weight training minus the maxing out has a great usefulness in athletics and keep in mind, when someone is training for an athletic sport, there are most likely many people who care about what he's trying to accomplish. The only one who cares about what the average meathead is doing is the meathead himself.    And Showstoppa, the "translation" thing is an old Internet posting thing. You sound like you're right out of the projects.

Translation: nobody cares wahat you think, hahaahaghaghagh

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2006, 10:32:44 AM »
How is that paragraph a translation for nobody caring what I think Scrub?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2006, 10:42:44 AM »
How is that paragraph a translation for nobody caring what I think Scrub?

hahaha, you should change your name to Top Musclebear. hahahaha

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2006, 10:59:30 AM »
Why's that?

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2006, 11:03:16 AM »

As for buddy that got banned at Planet Shitness, I saw it on the news yesterday and he has a fleet of lawyers and is suing that fat ass gym manager. He went mainstream public with this and I hope that fat ass gym manager gets what she deserves.

PB

Amazing how that story made the national nightly news and also an editorial in the paper.  That dudes making his 15 minutes of fame last.  Read all about it in Flex, in about 3 months.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2006, 11:23:25 AM »
One day someone's gonna fall on his/her ass, and a dumbell is going to crush the individuals face and kill him/her in the process.

Then it will stop. For a while. And a few years later, it will resurface.

Its called natural selection.

I agree "Gods way of weeding out the stupid"!

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2006, 11:31:14 AM »
I see some guy doing these on the smith machine..i think they are pointless..  ???

Top Dog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »
I think if God was going to weed out the stupid, he'd probably start with the average bodybuilder. In all seriousness, there are always exceptions, but if there was a way to measure intellect per sport(not that bodybuilding is a sport but for the sake of illustration) bodybuilders would be way down there. And by the way, except for the pro's, I'm as much of a bodybuilder as the rest of you.