Author Topic: the most DANGEROUS jobs in the world..  (Read 2795 times)

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
Re: the most DANGEROUS jobs in the world..
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »

Many people eat crab

Men on average make 20 - 50 thousand dollars in 4 weeks

Money drives everything dear my friend

Could you resist the urge to make a years wage in a few weeks?

With the highest ON THE JOB mortality rate
http://www.supanet.com/mens_room/news/63625/Top_10_most_dangerous_jobs.html

....$50K in 4 weeks couldn't do it for me...sorry.  Pay me $500K...I'll think about it.   :o
Sleep Big.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 11:41:04 PM »
How the hell does someone become an Alaskan crab fisherman - -who eats crabs anyway?

It's not bloody worth it.  ::)

Lots of people. They go out for a few weeks and potentially bring back 20-30 thousand dollars worth of crab.If you have ever seen the show on Discovery channel called the deadliest catch...it shows why it is so dangerous.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 02:21:33 AM »
  Lots of people. They go out for a few weeks and potentially bring back 20-30 thousand dollars worth of crab.If you have ever seen the show on Discovery channel called the deadliest catch...it shows why it is so dangerous.

Well if you like to live on the fast lane it is an option. When you die, you die spectacular, and when you survive for about 6 to 8 weeks then you probably have enough money to party for the rest of the year. Sounds more fun than living form paycheck to paycheck doing some boring desk job, until you get your fuckin' pension.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 03:16:11 AM »
I wouldnt consider 'crab fisherman' to be living in the fast lane

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 04:13:06 AM »
Please tell me more about these here crab fishermen and why is it so dangerous? I can understand why being a normal fisherman is dangerous but what makes a crab fisherman's job so highly paid?

affy

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 10:44:57 AM »
the cold ass water...they have to fish for crabs in alaska it seems

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 11:00:57 AM »
I watch that show on the Discovery Channel "Deadliest Catch." Those fishermen are fucking nuts. Their boats get hit by 50 foot rouge waves.  :-X

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 04:06:38 PM »
Please tell me more about these here crab fishermen and why is it so dangerous? I can understand why being a normal fisherman is dangerous but what makes a crab fisherman's job so highly paid?

From what I got from watching the show "Deadliest Catch" on Discovery Channel around a year ago...

Crab Season only lasts about 10 weeks...therefore, your ENTIRE SEASON OF REVENUE depends on that time period.  First, if you run a business, this is a very dangerous and very short sales cycle.   Second, you have to run that through those 10 weeks non stop, and weather is not good.

Weather, averages about 10-40 below with windchill!!  Waves get to 60 feet during storms and this means water and ice covered boat and deck then entire time. 

The actually process of getting the crabs requires the captain and crew to first mark and set 700 pound traps at set points in the ocean.  They are then retrieved in certain order to allow crabs to fill up.  When these cages are full of crabs they weigh about 2 tons....factor in that 50 mph wind, frozen cold icy deck, non stop working, a captain that will not go into shore if you get hurt or sick, etc etc.  If you fall off one of these boats, just see you later, there is barely any hope.  On the show someone fell off but they were super super lucky to come around and get the guy.  that was amazing.

Just way too many factors to get hurt or die.  If you see the show you will realize in about 35 secs that you have to be super crazy to do that job. 

Any other inputs about alaskan crab fisherman?
Sleep Big.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2006, 10:30:38 PM »
From what I got from watching the show "Deadliest Catch" on Discovery Channel around a year ago...

Crab Season only lasts about 10 weeks...therefore, your ENTIRE SEASON OF REVENUE depends on that time period.  First, if you run a business, this is a very dangerous and very short sales cycle.   Second, you have to run that through those 10 weeks non stop, and weather is not good.

Weather, averages about 10-40 below with windchill!!  Waves get to 60 feet during storms and this means water and ice covered boat and deck then entire time. 

The actually process of getting the crabs requires the captain and crew to first mark and set 700 pound traps at set points in the ocean.  They are then retrieved in certain order to allow crabs to fill up.  When these cages are full of crabs they weigh about 2 tons....factor in that 50 mph wind, frozen cold icy deck, non stop working, a captain that will not go into shore if you get hurt or sick, etc etc.  If you fall off one of these boats, just see you later, there is barely any hope.  On the show someone fell off but they were super super lucky to come around and get the guy.  that was amazing.

Just way too many factors to get hurt or die.  If you see the show you will realize in about 35 secs that you have to be super crazy to do that job. 

Any other inputs about alaskan crab fisherman?

that was a very good explanation.I used to watch that show and no way would I do that job.I believe it has been named THE deadliest job in the world.