Author Topic: Would you consider lifting 190lbs off the ground with one hand to be strong?  (Read 9575 times)

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
I think it's 160lbs. here  :o

First of all welcome to the board! Secondly, did the guy took from the ground and lifted it always with just one hand?
S

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
Excellent post. I'd forgotten what attraction it was at the Expo that I'd entered.

There was quite a queue before I did the lift and I'd say I stood around and watched about a dozen people before me try the Rolling Thuinder and fail - many of them were taller and bigger than me.
I couldn't pick up the "blob" which required a pinch-grip. That was pretty difficult and I didn't see anyone complete it.
I came very, very close to closing the no.2 ironmind gripper - Gillingham had to have a close look to see that it was properly shut but couldn't award it. I think the prize was to win a full set of the ironmind grippers but I came away empty handed - nobody won it as far as I know.

For the record - I'm 5'10'' in height which is about average - obviously the taller you are the easier it is. The picture doesn't really do me justice in terms of size but that wasn't the point of the exercise, to show how big I was, it was to show photographic evidence that I'm as strong as I say I am. Not many Getbiggers have produced photographic evidence of strength claims.

I may post pictures or even videos in the very near future so people who are genuinely interested can see some physique pics, or training videos. I'm no longer even going to respond to the hateful and jealous comments from SuperstarBilly, Squadfather and a few others as I believe their sole purpose on this board is to bully, gang up, and ridicule people no matter what the topic is. Any comments from them from now on will be ignored.

owned owned OWNED!!!!!! hahahahahahaha!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
Yeah, GREAT point  ::).  By your logic then there can be no determination of strength.  What about the guy benching with a barrell chest and short arms?  No one questions those factors when comparing benches.

as you know, in bench meets you are placed into weight classes.  Within reason, most guys are going to have similar torso girth within their weight class, so in that case there is no advantage.  For example, i would bet that the top benchers in the super heavy class right now are within 8-10 inch chest measurment.  So what's your point now.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
as you know, in bench meets you are placed into weight classes.  Within reason, most guys are going to have similar torso girth within their weight class, so in that case there is no advantage.  For example, i would bet that the top benchers in the super heavy class right now are within 8-10 inch chest measurment.  So what's your point now.

no one was talking about competitions, this was talking about the straight impressiveness of the lift. you said bigj's picture wasn't impressive because he didn't have to lift it very far, chris brought up the valid point of short rom's on the bench. competition had absolutely nothing to do with it and you knew that. you're just scraping for a reason to argue and failing miserably.

JasonH

• Getbig V
I like you Magoo - you talk sense - you're one of the few people on this thread who's said anything positive.

But I kind of expected the all negativity really - I don't take the criticism personally because I know I'm just being coerced by keyboard sausage-jockeys who hide behind their computers slating the achievements of others. I can deal with it.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
no one was talking about competitions, this was talking about the straight impressiveness of the lift. you said bigj's picture wasn't impressive because he didn't have to lift it very far, chris brought up the valid point of short rom's on the bench. competition had absolutely nothing to do with it and you knew that. you're just scraping for a reason to argue and failing miserably.

I think your mistaken, I NEVER said that his lift was not impressive.  I said that anyone lifting that weight has good strength.  I also agreed that that specific test or any grip test would be MORE difficult for a guy that had shorter hands...this is a known fact and the reason most guys that do great on the grip test in strongman are taller, ex is the pillar grip event where you have to hold the handles connected to the pillars.  This lift shows very good grip strength, like I said. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
I think your mistaken, I NEVER said that his lift was not impressive.  I said that anyone lifting that weight has good strength.  I also agreed that that specific test or any grip test would be MORE difficult for a guy that had shorter hands...this is a known fact and the reason most guys that do great on the grip test in strongman are taller, ex is the pillar grip event where you have to hold the handles connected to the pillars.  This lift shows very good grip strength, like I said. 

my bad, guy. i got you confused with carvedoutofwood who i was getting annoyed with last night. you're correct about hand size and all. with bigj being about 5'10" and without the biggest hands, i'd say that makes it damn impressive.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
I consider THIS impressive... 448lbs

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
i think they do... infact ROM is always brought up when discussing strength... not just how muc you can lift, but how much over what distance, right?

like i said impressive, but not a good way to mes. strength... this is a guy who claims a 300lb behind the neck shoulder press,... then he posts this pic...

what about palming a basketball? if someones fingers are super long to help them grip it, does that mean theyre stronger?

Demonstrable strength, one's ability to lift a given load is determined by many factors some of which include bone length and insertion points of the muscles.  Neurological efficiency is yet another factor and some people just have "better" nervous systems with respect to the recruitment of motor units than others.  Should we say, "Ahhhh, he isn't impressive he just has a more efficient nervous system."? 

Humans cannot compete on an even ground with respect to the factors you are trying to invoke with your shitty argument.  About the only evening of the playing field that is accepted in strength competition is a weight class. 

w