Author Topic: Seaonal Affective Disorder (SAD)  (Read 3916 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Seaonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:33:31 AM »
Anyone suffer from this?    I don't know if I do, but I certainly do get more down this time of the year and the shorter days seem to contribute.  I hate leaving work in the dark!!   

I'm thinking of getting one of those sunlight fullspectrum lamps.   

This time of year, school, work, men, holidays, etc etc, this usually is a trying time for me.   My BPD gets triggered easier and it can be harder to try and practice "mindfulness".   :P

I had tried to start meditating but I seriously can not keep less than 3 thoughts going in my head at one time.  :(

suggestions, experiences?

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: Seaonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »
Growing up in Canada... YES!!! It's pitch black when you get up in the morning, then slowly starts to get light by the time you're at work... then it's pitch black again at 4:30 when you leave work, so you're in the dark most of your free time. I always get melancholic and bittersweet feelings around this time.  :'(

I wonder if those lamps work?  I used to find that getting into the tanning bed twice a week seemed to give a boost... but obviously not a great plan. Also try to up the Vitamin D, but never felt it did much. The only thing that really ever made a difference was calling friends in Florida and LA and saying, "I'm coming."

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 09:24:43 AM »
Flower= sissy.

Stop being a such a wimp Red!!! Go watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special, You will feel better!!!!  ;)
X

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 09:36:27 AM »
  I am looking for one on a visor and I will wear it around all day!!     ;D

My very own sun!!!

I wonder if anyone ever thought to market something like that... I'd wear one!  Or maybe we should just get one of those coal miners' head lamp things...

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:49:19 AM »
I wonder if anyone ever thought to market something like that... I'd wear one!  Or maybe we should just get one of those coal miners' head lamp things...

lol, going spelunking anytime soon?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »
Ron: "I am lazy."

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 04:08:48 PM »
Those lamps are fabulous! You also don't have to go all out for a special lamps either, ...you can just buy the bulbs and use them in regular light sockets.

And yes, ...just about everyone in Canada suffers from it whether they realize it or not.

Now that we're back on standard time, it gets too dark far too early, and very little sun even in the middle of the day.  :'(
w

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 08:55:29 PM »
Those lamps are fabulous! You also don't have to go all out for a special lamps either, ...you can just buy the bulbs and use them in regular light sockets.

I tried that.  In my bathroom, I have 8 of them across the top of the mirror.  I'm not sure they help, but maybe I don't spend enough sustained time there.  It is however the one place I spend the most concentrated amount of time.  If nothing else, it should give me the best lighting for putting on makeup  :D

They were about $8 buck per bulb.
:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »
this disorder is another reason to move to the south, lol

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 04:10:49 AM »
If I didn't know about this disorder I probably wouldn't have it.  ;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 10:42:30 AM »

Where'd ya get them?

I think you need like minimally 15mins a day.  A depending on what part of the day you are most affected will determine when you do the light therapy.   I have to do some more research.   

I got them at Menards (a home supply store).  I'm not sure they're 'true' SAD lights.  I just asked for full spectrum bulbs.
:

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 01:11:33 AM »
I just found out that if those lamps are prescribed by your physician, it's covered by OHIP, here in Ontario, and may be covered by other health insurance providers elsewhere as well.
w

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 04:59:45 AM »
Growing up in Canada... YES!!! It's pitch black when you get up in the morning, then slowly starts to get light by the time you're at work... then it's pitch black again at 4:30 when you leave work, so you're in the dark most of your free time. I always get melancholic and bittersweet feelings around this time.  :'(

I wonder if those lamps work?  I used to find that getting into the tanning bed twice a week seemed to give a boost... but obviously not a great plan. Also try to up the Vitamin D, but never felt it did much. The only thing that really ever made a difference was calling friends in Florida and LA and saying, "I'm coming."
You've just described my morning drive and my after work drive. Pitch black. It stinks not to see the sun rise. December and January are the worst months for this.

PB

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »
You've just described my morning drive and my after work drive. Pitch black. It stinks not to see the sun rise. December and January are the worst months for this.

PB

Don't worry Playboy, I heard we're going up to 8 degrees tomorrow, 13 degrees on Fri., and it'll be sunny all day!
w

Wink:o)

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 10:29:38 PM »
I havent done the lights thing, but I did re-do my entire house.  I took out everything that was dark in color and replaced with VERY, VERY vibrant colors to stimulate.  It's been working for me, but my husband hates it.  I also took down the curtins to the the sun through.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 09:35:04 AM »
Anyone suffer from this?    I don't know if I do, but I certainly do get more down this time of the year and the shorter days seem to contribute.  I hate leaving work in the dark!!   

I'm thinking of getting one of those sunlight fullspectrum lamps.   

This time of year, school, work, men, holidays, etc etc, this usually is a trying time for me.   My BPD gets triggered easier and it can be harder to try and practice "mindfulness".   :P

I had tried to start meditating but I seriously can not keep less than 3 thoughts going in my head at one time.  :(

suggestions, experiences?

My father suffers from it.  :-[ He had to move to Florida.  It does make it easier for him.  :)
:D Weee

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 12:11:20 PM »
I have it.  Every year, right around daylight savings time it gets me.  My mood and motivation start to go.  There are times here (Cleveland) that we don't see the sun for weeks.  I am planning on moving to Florida at the end of the year.  We have winter from November-May.  Hell, last year, it snowed in April :'(

OneBigMan

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »
I think Seasonal Affective Disorder started on the very first September 11th because everyone was so traumatized temporarily.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 02:41:14 PM »
I think Seasonal Affective Disorder started on the very first September 11th because everyone was so traumatized temporarily.

No, it's been around and we've been sufferring from it for years.
At one point my mother went to Jamaica for 9 months. When she came back, I looked at her and said:

"Who are you? ...and what did you do with my mother?!" 

9 months of straight sunshine, warm weather, and sunny beaches made her a different person
w

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 02:09:26 PM »
It was 61 degrees and sunny today (in Cleveland) and its going to be like that for the next 5 days.  The sun makes such a huge difference.  I woke up full of energy, training went well, and my disposition was much better

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 02:18:43 PM »
It was 61 degrees and sunny today (in Cleveland) and its going to be like that for the next 5 days.  The sun makes such a huge difference.  I woke up full of energy, training went well, and my disposition was much better

Yes, sunny here too! You can't help but be in a great mood.  :)

ps. BigMike, did you read this...

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=93039.0

You can always PM STella or someone else if you don't want to post an answer on the board.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »
Me too, I definitely have it.  Perhaps I just don't like Christmas and then it's my birthday in February, neither of which I look forward to.

though for some mad reason, I'm more into Christmas this year than I have been for many years.  I always wait till December to get the tinsel and fairy lights out, so I can't wait till this weekend, I'm planning it.  They've got 12 mini mirrored disco balls in Woolworths for £2.49 and I'm going to go buy lots and lots more.

I try to tell myself that I love the seasons and that I'd be bored if it was always the same weather.  I really love rain.  We rarely get snow here, so that's fun too.

We've had gorgeous weather here, lovely autumnal still, not cold at all.  Lots of sun, lots of mad thunderstorms, big rainbows and fantastic sunsets.

The darkness is difficult to cope with, but I tell myself that as I get older I look far better in candlelight...  (though I need to be more careful with all the candles since I set fire to my flat with one recently

You can buy the blue bulbs anywhere (well, you can here in London, any hardware shop).  They're more expensive, but worth it.  I've used them throughout my flat for many years.  They're called daylight bulbs or craft lights?  Much kinder light.  Flattering.

And to get through SAD, look on the bright side > It will be Spring in March, only a few months to get past.  And in the mean time I'm loving all my woolly jumpers and colourful blankets and big socks...  I've got some great stuff I brought from Canada.  I'd get bored if I had to wear a mumu or a sarong every day, I love wearing all my clothes and scarves and hats (all of them at once when it gets freezing and the boiler breaks down...

Oh yeah & the TV is great right now.  In summer I don't have time to watch it.  In the winter it's difficult to decide what to watch, there's so much on (and we only have 5 channels in England).

I wonder whether the light of my desktop from the internet >shining on my face right now alleviates SAD and works as a light box?  It's working for me.

x
x
x
Linda