Author Topic: Injurys and what causes them.  (Read 3539 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Injurys and what causes them.
« on: December 16, 2006, 07:35:15 AM »
What do most of you guys feel is the number one cause of injuries in the gym?
1) Improper stretching
2) Poor form
3) Excessive drug use
4) Not warming up properly
5) Less than full range of motion throughout exercises
6) Whatever else...

So tell me boys and girls. What do you feel causes the most injuries today in the gym. Why do you hear about alot of the bigger guys today having hand numerous injuries as compared to the lifters and competitors back in the old days?

Rockhead

• Getbig II
Re: Injurys and what causes them.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:22:55 AM »
Poor form from using too much weight

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 11:49:51 AM »
egolifting
Z

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 04:09:44 PM »
Improper stretching and poor form...Good List

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »
Everything listed, plus:

-Going too heavy - going below 7-8 reps will cause probs for some people, plus for muscle development there's no compelling reason to go with lower reps.

-Wrong exercise - there are some exercises that will always be problematic, no matter what. In which case it's smart not to keep trying to "work through" the problem over and over again if it recurs, it might be that exercise. Find a good substitute; sometimes the substitute will turn out to be better. Typical problem exercises are BB bench, press behind neck, etc. but it could be anything.

-Full ROM - avoiding the top or bottom can help both to avoid injury and to maintain tension on the muscles. Good examples would be the very bottom of preacher curls, which puts inordinate stress on the tendons/ligaments without working the bis much, and squats. Bench squats can work better both in terms of gains and in terms of reduced injury potential. Hack machine squats work a little better without full ROM, IMO.

-Method of resistance: if one form causes probs, try another. Pulleys instead of free weights, machines over free weights, free weights over machines. A good example is free weight triceps extensions, which can put a lot of stress on the elbows. A pulley can give the same benefits without causing elbow stress. Same thing for cable curls, which can be easier on the joints than BB curls.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:32:39 PM »
1. overdoing it
2. not being flexable enough  (tend/muscle not  flexable enough to go though the R.O.M)
3. ego training- going to heaavy to show off
4. not werming up or stretching

there are pros who does bad form day in and out and still doesnt get hurt

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 10:44:35 PM »
1) Improper stretching
2) Poor form
3) Excessive drug use
6) Whatever else...

So tell me boys and girls. What do you feel causes the most injuries today in the gym. Why do you hear about alot of the bigger guys today having hand numerous injuries as compared to the lifters and competitors back in the old days?

What kind of injuries?? There's different causes for different injuries!

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 06:46:56 AM »
Bad preparation.

Before training you have to be well prepared, well rested and good meals. And most injuries happen due to stupid little accidents. Has got nothing to do with the actual training.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 07:24:29 AM »
Has got nothing to do with the actual training.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. ALL possibilities listed on this thread should be addressed, to reduce the likelihood of each factor. Those who don't realize this and rely on a short list simply haven't been affected by a wider array of problems from other unconsidered factors-yet.  "The weakest link in the chain" adage applies.

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 07:37:08 AM »
1) Improper stretching
2) Poor form
3) Excessive drug use
6) Whatever else...

I'd go with number 4, I found that getting blood into the muscles and working specific muscle before some compound movements is good. Like getting a good amount of blood into the shoulder muscles before benching is great and totally got rid of the little nagging shoulder pains I used to have.
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 05:07:58 AM »
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. ALL possibilities listed on this thread should be addressed, to reduce the likelihood of each factor. Those who don't realize this and rely on a short list simply haven't been affected by a wider array of problems from other unconsidered factors-yet.  "The weakest link in the chain" adage applies.
Most lifters that I know with physical problems have been using in the past,
the type of needle in the left-hand, painkiller in the right.

Other accidents are bumped toes/feet, heads and shoulders. We've got a rack full of dumbells and a lot of people tend to leave a pair on the ground between sets. Another common accidents are dumbells that aren't placed well in the rack and drop off, or plates that slip away happens repeatly. Bumped heads usually at the pulley's and shoulders usually at the hamerstrength machines. Some parts have a path of motions and a lot of people just don't think about that.

There have been two major accidents at my gym at my knowledge,
one heartattack while running, and another one was launched of the treadmill.

And about proper warming-up. Depends on the country,
if you live in a warm country there's absolutely no need foor warming-up. A bit of stretching and a couple of light sets before starting your worksets should do the trick.