Author Topic: Back Injury  (Read 4155 times)

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
Back Injury
« on: February 10, 2007, 05:56:10 AM »
Hey Bigboys,
I'm suffering from a back injury which is on and off and i can't really deadlift much. Anything more then 140kgs, it tends to have a painful pull at my lower back....any advice on this and what should be done.

Another question is, Is cardio important when ur bulking up on gear such as Primoteston or deca ?and if so, whats the required time for cardio?

Thanks guys
ur momma

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
Re: Back Injury
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 06:09:03 AM »
Can't help with the back excep to say avoid any lower back exercises for a while and see your doc.

As for the cardio, it depends what metabolism you've got.  If you find it easy to gain weight then some cardio during your cycle will do you good and stop you gaining too much fat.  However if you're a hardgainer then really there's no point doing cardio during bulking except for respiratory reasons.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 06:13:19 AM »
With something like a back injury you have to be conservative and use a process of elimination; I just went through this. If it's a milder muscular problem this will be sufficient to clear it up.

Start by eliminating any exercises that directly cause pain, until the pain goes away. Work around it.

If that doesn't work and even indirect exercise aggrevate it, take a complete break from workouts for 7-10 days to see if that clears up the problem. Don't worry about missed training, a break's good for the bod & CNS in general and can help you progress once you return to training. With the back problem I had, a complete break from training worked, whereas trying to work around the problem while continuing to work out didn't. On the 9th day of rest the pain almost completely disappeared.

If that doesn't work it's probably more serious; then see a doctor.

Once the back is better, you have to avoid whatever caused the problem (heavy deadlifts in this case). Either continue with deads or find a substitute, but if deads are done go with high reps and less weight-you'll still get excellent results and will still add strength, without straining the bod. If this doesn't help, you have to find a substitute exercise and avoid deads altogether; something like hypers.

As far as cardio, if you're only doing short-term bulking once in a while you could stop the cardio totally and resume later. If you're bulking on regular cycles and want to maintain some cardio you could moderate the amount of cardio in between weights.

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 06:35:31 AM »
Thanks guys....the advice has been really helpful
ur momma