Author Topic: Sergio 1976 - 1985  (Read 41407 times)

logical?

• Getbig III
Re: Sergio 1976 - 1985
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2006, 02:44:36 AM »
Post some pics comparing the two together performing the same poses.

Arnold just dwarfes him.

Arnold flows, because each bodypart - arms, chest, legs, backs, etc is proportioned. Sergio is all arms. I don't see what the big deal is with this guy really. You don't care what the mags say, but most people do. These editors have been in the industry long enough to make these kind of decisions. Arnold was selected as having the greatest chest of all time! This shouldn't even be up for debate. His arms were just huge with massive peaks. Full AND peaked. The total package.

Take a tall guy, with bigger shoulders, chest, biceps, and FAR superior definition, and I'll show you the superior bodybuilder.

Serge alone looks great. He WAS great. Stand him next to Arnold and his faults become apparent to the critical eye...

And...

the judges agree!

I say I don't care what the magazines say, because I don't regard them as an accurate reflection of the truth. The fact that most people do doesn't impress me. At one point, most people thought the Earth was the centre of the universe.

Arnold does NOT have bigger shoulders- Sergio's dwarf Arnold's. You say that Arnold flows because each body part is proportioned, but as I've mentioned now in two straight posts (now three) that's bollocks.

Here, I'll copy and paste what I wrote earlier.
Definition- fine, Arnold was in better condition. Biceps- we've already been over this, it's a matter of taste. Some people like short, high peaked biceps (Arnold). Others (me) think that long, full biceps (Levrone's, Oliva's) look more powerful and massive.

Quads, no way. Arnold might have Sergio on separation, but this comes back to the conditioning factor. Sergio's quads were considerably bigger than Arnold's, and had way better shape and sweep. Sergio's quads were actually round and curved from the front, way ahead of his peers. Chest, debatable. Arnold has a bigger ribcage, but Sergio has phenomenally (and famously) thick pecs.

No symmetry or balance? Where do I even begin tearing this apart? Firstly, Arnold just looks wrong in the front lat spread. His waist is way too big for his shoulder and back width, not to mention his quad sweep. The result is the classic fridge look- Arnold never looked good in this shot. Shoulders- Arnold has a narrow structure relative to his waist. Sergio isn't the widest guy around, but he can get away with it with a 29" waist. Plus, Sergio's shoulders are actually bigger and better developed. Arnold's bis are too big for his tris, his chest too big for his lats from the front. You call that balance or symmetry?

So then somehow you arrive at the conclusion that Arnold had better 'overall', ok, whatever the hell 'overall' is

Bottom line: Arnold had
- Bis too big for his tris
- Arms too big for his delts
- Chest too big for his delts
- Chest too wide and full for his back- eg, front lat spread
- A wide waist
- Quads too small for his calves
- Quads too small for his upper body
- Quads too big for his hams
- Strange abs- a four back
- Narrow, sloping clavicles relative to his height
- Thick bone structure relative to Sergio
- Lacking quad sweep
- Lacking back width
- Lacking overall width

Time and time again in your post, you keep mentioning Arnold's arms- particularly his bis. This tells me that you stop looking at a bodybuilder's arms and judge them there- specifically, their bis. You have even failed to notice that Sergio has better overall arms.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2006, 03:54:27 AM »

I say I don't care what the magazines say, because I don't regard them as an accurate reflection of the truth. The fact that most people do doesn't impress me. At one point, most people thought the Earth was the centre of the universe.

Arnold does NOT have bigger shoulders- Sergio's dwarf Arnold's. You say that Arnold flows because each body part is proportioned, but as I've mentioned now in two straight posts (now three) that's bollocks.

Definition- fine, Arnold was in better condition. Biceps- we've already been over this, it's a matter of taste. Some people like short, high peaked biceps (Arnold). Others (me) think that long, full biceps (Levrone's, Oliva's) look more powerful and massive.

Quads, no way. Arnold might have Sergio on separation, but this comes back to the conditioning factor. Sergio's quads were considerably bigger than Arnold's, and had way better shape and sweep. Sergio's quads were actually round and curved from the front, way ahead of his peers. Chest, debatable. Arnold has a bigger ribcage, but Sergio has phenomenally (and famously) thick pecs.

No symmetry or balance? Where do I even begin tearing this apart? Firstly, Arnold just looks wrong in the front lat spread. His waist is way too big for his shoulder and back width, not to mention his quad sweep. The result is the classic fridge look- Arnold never looked good in this shot. Shoulders- Arnold has a narrow structure relative to his waist. Sergio isn't the widest guy around, but he can get away with it with a 29" waist. Plus, Sergio's shoulders are actually bigger and better developed. Arnold's bis are too big for his tris, his chest too big for his lats from the front. You call that balance or symmetry?

So then somehow you arrive at the conclusion that Arnold had better 'overall', ok, whatever the hell 'overall' is

- A wide waist
- Lacking quad sweep
- Lacking back width
- Lacking overall width

Time and time again in your post, you keep mentioning Arnold's arms- particularly his bis. This tells me that you stop looking at a bodybuilder's arms and judge them there- specifically, their bis. You have even failed to notice that Sergio has better overall arms.

I dont have to say much more really, that says it all!!Good post.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2006, 04:07:07 AM »
WOW that is insane!!! Every picture I see with Sergio is breathtaking!!
How old was he in the 85 pic?
S

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2006, 04:14:57 AM »
How old was he in the 85 pic?

Somewhere in between 42-44 as far as I know. Ronnie's age or thereabouts.

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2006, 04:16:49 AM »
I dont have to say much more really, that says it all!!Good post.

davie

Yeah, cheers. Arnold was a fantastic bodybuilder, but he had alot of charisma and is a legend inside and outside the bodybuilding industry. Not only just to newbies, but also to people who have been in it for years.

But comparing him to Sergio, who is probably one of the greatest bodybuilders ever, with far superior genetics, shows that Arnold is not flawless- as we all can often be blinded to assume.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2006, 04:21:12 AM »
Can anyone post recent pics of Oliva?
S

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2006, 05:47:38 AM »
Post some pics comparing the two together performing the same poses.

Arnold just dwarfes him.

Arnold flows, because each bodypart - arms, chest, legs, backs, etc is proportioned. Sergio is all arms. I don't see what the big deal is with this guy really. You don't care what the mags say, but most people do. These editors have been in the industry long enough to make these kind of decisions. Arnold was selected as having the greatest chest of all time! This shouldn't even be up for debate. His arms were just huge with massive peaks. Full AND peaked. The total package.

Take a tall guy, with bigger shoulders, chest, biceps, and FAR superior definition, and I'll show you the superior bodybuilder.

Serge alone looks great. He WAS great. Stand him next to Arnold and his faults become apparent to the critical eye...

And...

the judges agree!

Ive come to the conclusion you must be the second comming of Ray Charles!  Here is sergio still looking huge in his late 50s from the olympia a few years back. Hes still owning Brusnschagger
X

body88

« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2006, 05:50:06 AM »

- A wide waist
- Lacking quad sweep
- Lacking back width
- Lacking overall width

Yeah, your right! Arnold was all flaws, and was a terrible bodybuilder. No idea how he won a contest ::)

Gayest post in history. Sergio was never ripped. Arnold was just as developed. Maybe if Sergio was actually in shape he could have won more contests. You can whine cry and debate all you want. Bodybuilding is subjective. Some people feel Arnold was better. Some Sergio. Same reason some poeple like Oranges and some like Apples.  The fact is Arnold won many more contests then Sergio did. You can make any excuse you like. Wont change shit. Thats a fact :-*

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2006, 05:54:26 AM »

Yeah, your right! Arnold was all flaws, and was a terrible bodybuilder. No idea how he won a contest ::)

Gayest post in history. Sergio was never ripped. Arnold was just as good but in better condition. End of story.

Uh-huh. I guess you must have missed the part where I said that Arnold was a fantastic bodybuilder. My post is clearly a comparison to Sergio. And, compared with Sergio, Arnold had those flaws.

Monster argument supporting your claim. ::)

body88

« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2006, 05:55:44 AM »
Good thing I dont give a flying f**k what you think. I was replying to the post I quoted. Nothing else.

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2006, 05:57:13 AM »
Good thing I dont give a flying f**k what you think. I was replying to the post I quoted. Nothing else.

The feeling's mutual.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2006, 06:05:23 AM »
How come every post that has an interesting debate somehow turns into "i hate u" ........  " no i hate u."

I think its fine to have argument within the context of the topic, but no-one comes out looking good in a "ur a dick" type argument done over trhe internet.

davie

body88

« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2006, 06:42:28 AM »

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2006, 07:23:52 AM »
Ummm Arnie won many more contests than Sergio? Many more?

1965 AAU Jr. Mr. America (Most Muscular)

1965 AAU Mr. America (Most Muscular)

1966 AAU Jr. Mr. America

1966 AAU Jr. Mr. America (Most Muscular)

1966 AAU Mr. America (Most Muscular)

1966 IFBB Mr. World

1967 IFBB Mr. Universe

1967 IFBB Mr. Olympia

1968 IFBB Mr. Olympia

1969 IFBB Mr. Olympia

1973 IFBB Pro Mr. International

1974 WBBG Mr. International

1975 WBBG Mr. Olympus

1976 WBBG Mr. Olympus

1977 WABBA Pro World Championships

1978 WBBG Mr. Olympus

1980 WABBA Pro World Cup

1980 WABBA Pro World Championships

1981 WABBA Pro World Cup

Sergio was never ripped?
X

body88

« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2006, 07:36:30 AM »
Ummm Arnie won many more contests than Sergio? Many more?

1965 AAU Jr. Mr. America (Most Muscular)

1965 AAU Mr. America (Most Muscular)

1966 AAU Jr. Mr. America

1966 AAU Jr. Mr. America (Most Muscular)

1966 AAU Mr. America (Most Muscular)

1966 IFBB Mr. World

1967 IFBB Mr. Universe

1967 IFBB Mr. Olympia

1968 IFBB Mr. Olympia

1969 IFBB Mr. Olympia

1973 IFBB Pro Mr. International

1974 WBBG Mr. International

1975 WBBG Mr. Olympus

1976 WBBG Mr. Olympus

1977 WABBA Pro World Championships

1978 WBBG Mr. Olympus

1980 WABBA Pro World Cup

1980 WABBA Pro World Championships

1981 WABBA Pro World Cup

Sergio was never ripped?

I was referring to contests that mattered. Sergio pretty much had no competition besides Arnold. Sergio might have a 29 inch waist and the best genetics known to man! Ha Had to face the entire world being against him. Had to cure cancer and not train his arms for a year, because he was so great they grew when he farted. But, Arnold has 6 Olympias. Nuff said.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »

I was referring to contests that mattered. Sergio pretty much had no competition besides Arnold. Sergio might have a 29 inch waist and the best genetics known to man! Ha Had to face the entire world being against him. Had to cure cancer and not train his arms for a year, because he was so great they grew when he farted. But, Arnold has 6 Olympias. Nuff said.

What was wrong with sergio thats topped him training his arms for a year??

davie

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2006, 07:50:18 AM »
logical? you are making some awesome posts in this thread! I agree with you 100%!
just push some weight!

body88

« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2006, 07:53:05 AM »
What was wrong with sergio thats topped him training his arms for a year??

davie

It was a joke.

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2006, 08:55:51 AM »
Pot calling the kettle black ain't helpin, punk. Your hostile posts here and elsewhere speak volumes about your predilection for "handsome white BBs".. hahahaahhaahha

You consider Yates handsome?  ???
tiny-tit bounty hunter

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2006, 11:15:46 AM »
It was a joke.

What was? Arnold being a better BBer than Sergio? I agree he never was or will be  ;D
X

body88

« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2006, 11:17:46 AM »
You have a right to think that. A great argument could be mad to back that claim up. I was scoffing at the notion that Arnold pretty much sucked, and had no reason to be on stage with Sergio.

NeoSeminole

• Getbig V
  • Ronnie > Dorian
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2006, 12:00:39 PM »

- A wide waist
- Lacking quad sweep
- Lacking back width
- Lacking overall width

I agree with everything you said. When I tell people on other boards that Arnold had flaws, they usually think I'm crazy. I would also add to your list:

- Forearms too small for his upper arms.

body88

« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2006, 12:14:07 PM »
I agree with everything you said. When I tell people on other boards that Arnold had flaws, they usually think I'm crazy. I would also add to your list:

- Forearms too small for his upper arms.

Why did you pick a bunch of bad pictures of Arnold to make your point? Check out Sergio's DOMINANT genetics. I will post some bad pictures to back up my claim also! Sergio was huge no doubnt. But,he also had a tiny head. Makes him look way bigger then he was. When he stood next to Arnold it was apparent he was much less impressive then when he stood alone.

I do not dispute the fact Arnold had flaws.So didnt Sergio. Sergio had the tiny waist. At his best Arnold was better then Sergio. Could Sergio have been better then Arnold? Sure. But, he never got in shape so it does not matter.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #198 on: December 15, 2006, 12:19:30 PM »
I wonder if having a small melon is a genetic gift or just a cruel joke played by God?
X

body88

« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »
I guess if you are a freaky bodybuilder then it is a gift.