Author Topic: Apples?  (Read 4485 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Apples?
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 07:37:51 AM »

Midnite, quite frankly, I’m surprised,  I thought you had a better understanding of overall nutrition, however, this statement worries me

Thanks for the (sort of) compliment.  Hey, I learn something on this board every day.  And one thing I've learned since I started on this board, is there's always someone who knows something you don't.  So I'm reading everything everyone has to say and taking it all in.  If I can get complex carbs, fiber, vitamins, antoi-xoxidents minerals, etc. from vegetables, which I eat plenty of, why not avoid fructose in the form of fruit?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 07:38:33 AM »
pic?

No, no pic.  I'm not at liberty to reveal my identity.  I'd get in trouble here at work so I must remain anonymous.  Just give it a try like I did.  As I said, I used to avoid fruit too.  As I learned more about nutrition, I saw no good reason why something as healthy as fruit could ruin my competition diet.  I gave it a try and it worked.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 07:44:41 AM »
No, no pic.  I'm not at liberty to reveal my identity.  I'd get in trouble here at work so I must remain anonymous.  Just give it a try like I did.  As I said, I used to avoid fruit too.  As I learned more about nutrition, I saw no good reason why something as healthy as fruit could ruin my competition diet.  I gave it a try and it worked.

I did not know you competed.  Like I said above, I'm always learning on this board and you know I respect your opinion.  So I'm curious, can't I get all of the benefits of fruit by vegetable consumption and in the meantime avoid fructose?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 07:50:19 AM »
I did not know you competed.  Like I said above, I'm always learning on this board and you know I respect your opinion.  So I'm curious, can't I get all of the benefits of fruit by vegetable consumption and in the meantime avoid fructose?

In my opinion, vegetables are better since they are lower in calories than fruit so you can eat more and not worry about going over your daily calorie limit.  With fruit, I do have to watch my portions.  I just hate vegetables.  I wish I liked vegetables more.  Broccoli and green beans are great for you, but I hate them.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2006, 07:55:48 AM »
In my opinion, vegetables are better since they are lower in calories than fruit so you can eat more and not worry about going over your daily calorie limit.  With fruit, I do have to watch my portions.  I just hate vegetables.  I wish I liked vegetables more.  Broccoli and green beans are great for you, but I hate them.

I agree that if you're not consuming vegetables for reasons of taste or whatever, then fruit consumption in moderation would be part of a healthy bodybuilding diet.  I am interested in whether anyone has an opinion on the board that fruit provides something desirable that vegetables can't.  I posed that question to Princess above and I'm interested in her response or if anyone else wants to weigh in.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2006, 10:05:38 PM »
I'm getting much better...actually up 10lbs since that last pic.....toned down cardio to just a walk in the morning with the dog...

This is a good start.

Thanks for the (sort of) compliment.  Hey, I learn something on this board every day.  And one thing I've learned since I started on this board, is there's always someone who knows something you don't.  So I'm reading everything everyone has to say and taking it all in.  If I can get complex carbs, fiber, vitamins, antoi-xoxidents minerals, etc. from vegetables, which I eat plenty of, why not avoid fructose in the form of fruit?

Read this again

Yes, when you take in fructose, it must first travel to the liver before it can be converted to glycogen. The problem arises when your liver glycogen levels are full. At this point, fructose gets converted to fat and is stored. Since it’s hard to know when your liver glycogen stores are full, many misinformed people avoid fruit altogether.

Glycogen storage in avg. body
From Costill & Wilmore's Physiology of Sport & Exercise, 2nd Ed:

Liver glycogen: 110g
Muscle glycogen: 250g
Glucose in body fluids: 15g

Note: the typical midsize fruit has 7g fructose, up to 12g or so if you go for a big banana.

I agree that if you're not consuming vegetables for reasons of taste or whatever, then fruit consumption in moderation would be part of a healthy bodybuilding diet.  I am interested in whether anyone has an opinion on the board that fruit provides something desirable that vegetables can't.  I posed that question to Princess above and I'm interested in her response or if anyone else wants to weigh in.

Interesting question.  I’m sure the answer is out there somewhere, but I’m too lazy to look for it right now.  All of my resource material is in another room.

Here are some tidbits…

http://www.mdsupport.org/library/antiox.html

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/supplements/a/antioxidants.htm

16 FAMOUS PHYTOS
Currently, these are the most popular phytos that are known for their powerful antioxidant, anticancer, and heart disease protective properties. We call them "phytomins."
PHYTOMINS FOOD SOURCE Carotenoids (alpha carotene, beta carotene, and lutin) yellow-orange fruits and vegetables: carrots, cantaloupe, papaya, pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, dried apricots, asparagus, kale, green leafy vegetables, peppers Lycopene tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice, guava, pink grapefruit, watermelon Beta cryptozanthin tangerines, papaya, oranges, peaches, mangoes, nectarines Flavonoids soy, green tea, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, cruciferous vegetables, citrus fruits, red wine, red grapes, onions Indoles cruciferous vegetables Sulforaphane cruciferous vegetables Isoflavones legumes (beans, peas, lentils), soy products Allicin garlic, onions Genistein soy products (e.g., tofu) Polyphenols green tea Anthocyanins wild blueberries, bilberries, black berries, Limonoids citrus fruits Sterols cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, squash, sweet potatoes, soy foods, eggplant, whole grains, tomatoes Capsaicin chili peppers Elegiac acid Strawberries Lignans nuts and seeds.
TOP TWELVE PHYTO FOODS
While nearly all plant foods contain health-promoting phytochemicals, the following are the most phyto-dense food sources:
1.   Soy
2.   Tomato
3.   Broccoli
4.   Garlic
5.   Flax seeds
6.   Citrus fruits
7.   Melons: cantaloupe, watermelon
8.   Pink grapefruit
9.   Blueberries
10.   Sweet potatoes
11.   Chili peppers
12.   Legumes: beans, and lentils
Honorable mention: green tea, red grapes, papaya, carrots, kale, nuts and seeds, eggplant, artichoke, cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions, apples, cauliflower, dried apricots, pumpkin, squash, spinach, mangos, and shiitake mushrooms.

:

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 04:31:11 AM »
Good post Princess....although I am still a tad iffy on whther to include fruits as part of a precontest diet or photoshoot, it appears they are extremely benefitial in more ways then one.  Do they tend to make yuou hold more water than let's say, yams, sweet tators, oats......what is your view on them?  Berries and apples?  I switched to peanuts and almonds preworkout with my protein shake for sustained energy and because of the neg. reps that fructose got, but it appears I should go back?  Thoughts?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 08:10:32 AM »
Interesting question.  I’m sure the answer is out there somewhere, but I’m too lazy to look for it right now.  All of my resource material is in another room.

I never thought I would see the day.  I had taken your tirelesss research efforts for granted.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »
Good post Princess....although I am still a tad iffy on whther to include fruits as part of a precontest diet or photoshoot, it appears they are extremely benefitial in more ways then one.  Do they tend to make yuou hold more water than let's say, yams, sweet tators, oats......what is your view on them?  Berries and apples?  I switched to peanuts and almonds preworkout with my protein shake for sustained energy and because of the neg. reps that fructose got, but it appears I should go back?  Thoughts?
For the short duration of a precontest diet, then it's wise to cut the fruit, but only around the 6 week out mark.  Berries are an excellent source of phytonutrients and antioxidants.  Fructose is not the only sugar in fruit btw.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2006, 08:48:43 PM »
tirelesss research efforts

The things I do for my fellow GBr's  :-*
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2006, 08:53:38 PM »
For the short duration of a precontest diet, then it's wise to cut the fruit, but only around the 6 week out mark.

Why?

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006, 04:39:20 AM »
For the short duration of a precontest diet, then it's wise to cut the fruit, but only around the 6 week out mark.  Berries are an excellent source of phytonutrients and antioxidants.  Fructose is not the only sugar in fruit btw.
I guess my theory is, why take in anything (aside from a good cheat or two) off season, when you wouldnt during precomp?  Just seems to better choices, ie. rice, beans, oats......im not a huge fan and wont run from fruit, lol, but I am not going to make it a staple pretraining as my trainer advises....

Although, it was rated number 1, for something....fiber, vitam, mineral content?

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 04:43:24 AM »
I always eat an apple after my workout. After the first workout meal I eat one tomatoe and one orange.
Simple carbs and antioxidant are necessary to promote a good recovery!
S

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 04:57:19 AM »
Top 10 food choices to optimize results from training
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=116970.msg1693330#msg1693330

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 07:08:03 AM »
I always eat an apple after my workout. After the first workout meal I eat one tomatoe and one orange.
Simple carbs and antioxidant are necessary to promote a good recovery!
Apples: A great source of pectin; a natural fiber that is essential to healthy regulation of blood fats and cholesterol profiles. However, this material also helps stabilize blood glucose (and insulin) levels.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2007, 07:13:38 AM »
Apples: A great source of pectin; a natural fiber that is essential to healthy regulation of blood fats and cholesterol profiles. However, this material also helps stabilize blood glucose (and insulin) levels.

By the way, though I eat fruit, I never eat it post workout.  Post workout I have a protein blend (Whey + Casein + Egg) and 20g glutamine powder.  If what you are looking for post workout is an insulin response, apples or anything high in fiber is not a good choice.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 07:24:16 AM »
Thanks for the "10 foods..." link, loco.  And you, Princess L - good stuff.

Oh Midnight, I'm so disappointed.    ;)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 07:32:33 AM »
You are welcome!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
Oh Midnight [sic], I'm so disappointed.    ;)

I guess I'll have to find the strength to go on, somehow . . .

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »
  You should eat some fruit for the fiber and the nutrients.