Author Topic: The 5 Fundamentals of the Christian Faith  (Read 7375 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: The 5 Fundamentals of the Christian Faith
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 05:54:25 AM »
And being born in Bethlahem, not Nazareth. 
Of course....Mary and Joseph were in Bethlahem for the Census, as they were to go to the city they were born in, to be counted.  Even though all records of Roman text show Augustus would never think for a second about making people go back to the city of their birth to be taxed and counted. 
It makes no sense in any way, as it is much easier to track people where they live, and it is much easier to tax people in that manner. 

But, of course, Roman text is wrong, and a few people who wrote second or third hand accounts 70-100 years after Jesus' death are correct.
Even though he was Jesus of Nazareth, and not Jesus of Bethlahem

Interesting!  Now, please do show me the Roman text or where exactly I can find it.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2006, 09:56:13 AM »
I believe the word of God is in the bible and the bible contains the holy spirit, but I don't believe that it inerrant. Many evangelic churches agree with me.

As a Christian I haven't drifted from anything. I am not a fundamentalist. These views were first presented by Martin Luther at around 1530.
You claim to know what God has planned. I don't.

a_joker10,
Just something I happened to run into while looking up something else:

"Lutheran views
The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, the Lutheran Church - Canada, the Evangelical Lutheran Synod and many other smaller Lutheran bodies hold to Scriptural inerrancy, though for the most part Lutherans do not consider themselves to be "fundamentalists". The larger Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada do not officially hold to biblical inerrancy, though there are those within the ELCA and ELCIC who are Inerrantists."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_inerrancy#Inerrancy_in_context

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 12:02:48 PM »
1. The Authority of the Scripture.  The Bible is the inerrant word of God and the final authority

"Jews preserved it as no other manuscript has ever been preserved. With their massora they kept tabs on every letter, syllable, word and paragraph. They had special classes of men within their culture whose sole duty was to preserve and transmit these documents with practically perfect fidelity — scribes, lawyers, massorettes.

In regard to the New Testament, there are about 13,000 manuscripts, complete and incomplete, in Greek and other languages, that have survived from antiquity.

A thousand times over, the death knell of the Bible has been sounded, the funeral procession formed, the inscription cut on the tombstone, and committal read. But somehow the corpse never stays put. No other book has been so chopped, knifed, sifted, scrutinized, and vilified. What book on philosophy or religion or psychology or belles lettres of classical or modern times has been subject to such a mass attack as the Bible? With such venom and skepticism? With such thoroughness and erudition? Upon every chapter, line and tenet?" - Bernard Ramm

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 04:48:36 PM »
a_joker10,
Just something I happened to run into while looking up something else:

"Lutheran views
The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, the Lutheran Church - Canada, the Evangelical Lutheran Synod and many other smaller Lutheran bodies hold to Scriptural inerrancy, though for the most part Lutherans do not consider themselves to be "fundamentalists". The larger Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada do not officially hold to biblical inerrancy, though there are those within the ELCA and ELCIC who are Inerrantists."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_inerrancy#Inerrancy_in_context

That is true.

The quotes I showed are from the ELCA website. Like you said the ELCA and ELCIC say the bible is open for interpretation. That is what I grew up with and still believe.

However, the missouri synod is very much about the inerrancy of the bible. here movement is growing actually.

This isn't part of the discussion, but the ELCA and the ELCIC are leading the way in reforming and including other denominations in service. Many of us still believe in one church. Where opposing views can be discussed and shared.
Z