Author Topic: DO NOT go into the seafood business!  (Read 3595 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
DO NOT go into the seafood business!
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:02:04 PM »
Seafood faces collapse by 2048

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Clambakes, crabcakes, swordfish steaks and even humble fish sticks could be little more than a fond memory in a few decades.

If current trends of overfishing and pollution continue, the populations of just about all seafood face collapse by 2048, a team of ecologists and economists warns in a report in Friday's issue of the journal Science.

"Whether we looked at tide pools or studies over the entire world's ocean, we saw the same picture emerging. In losing species we lose the productivity and stability of entire ecosystems," said the lead author Boris Worm of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

"I was shocked and disturbed by how consistent these trends are -- beyond anything we suspected," Worm said. (Who is catching what)

While the study focused on the oceans, concerns have been expressed by ecologists about threats to fish in the Great Lakes and other lakes, rivers and freshwaters, too.

Worm and an international team spent four years analyzing 32 controlled experiments, other studies from 48 marine protected areas and global catch data from the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization's database of all fish and invertebrates worldwide from 1950 to 2003.

The scientists also looked at a 1,000-year time series for 12 coastal regions, drawing on data from archives, fishery records, sediment cores and archaeological data.

"At this point 29 percent of fish and seafood species have collapsed -- that is, their catch has declined by 90 percent. It is a very clear trend, and it is accelerating," Worm said. "If the long-term trend continues, all fish and seafood species are projected to collapse within my lifetime -- by 2048."

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: DO NOT go into the seafood business!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:59:15 AM »
they way we are going we'll genetically engineer more fish.    clone tilapia and shit

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 02:29:07 PM »
I note that the National Fisheries Institute disagrees with that prognostication.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061103/D8L59FQ00.html

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 12:51:46 AM »
what about fish/seafood farms?

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 07:57:11 AM »
what about fish/seafood farms?

The way of the future.  Seafood farms though create alot of wasted that pollutes just a well.  Having a proven filtering system is why they are not up to snuff right now.
Most are all show no go!

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 11:27:10 AM »
The town I live in was a major fishing port till the 80's.  I see first hand the seafood marked crashing.  The price for what was once "give a way fish" is getting top dollar, if you can even get them anymore.  Regulations made to help future generations are killing the current industry.  Overfishing, fuel, insurance, upkeep the list goes on and on to where most either sold out or just quit altogether.  Prices are crazy like what was once considered a blue collar meal of most kinds of fish was a cheap dinner.  Not anymore.  Even the quality isn't their anymore.  In Rhode Island we get Native Scallops just once a year.  I bought an lb. last week for $25 and they were a far cry from the natives I remembered 10 years ago. 

Gotta agree with Rob that the seafood industry will be a thing of the past or for the very rich very soon.

The Narragansett Bay is known worldwide for having the best seafood.  What was once a living for hundreds is now just a few boats and getting smaller each year due to overfishing, rain offs or day's that the weather is too dangerous.  Enjoy it while you can.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 11:28:45 AM »
It's because Red Lobster has all you can eat shrimp and those fat fuckers eat like 200 of them.
E

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »
It's because Red Lobster has all you can eat shrimp and those fat fuckers eat like 200 of them.

All that shrimp is from Thailand or Viet Nam.

Almost everyone had a part time job bull raking.  You could easily make 100 bucks in a few hours.  Not anymore.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio