Author Topic: Why are Savikas and Virastuk not in WSM anymore?  (Read 5419 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Why are Savikas and Virastuk not in WSM anymore?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 09:56:38 PM »
It's hard to say Mariusz got "owned" considering he has 3 worlds strongest man and Savikas has none ;)

well let's do the math.

pudz has beaten savickas at 2 WSM contests, savickas beat pudz at 3 arnold classics
pudz has 3 WSM victories, savickas has 4 arnold classic victories

Drij

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 10:02:21 PM »
What happend to Virastyuk and Starov?

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 10:03:05 PM »
well let's do the math.

pudz has beaten savickas at 2 WSM contests, savickas beat pudz at 3 arnold classics
pudz has 3 WSM victories, savickas has 4 arnold classic victories

Well, it all comes down to static lifts vs dynamic lifts. Pudzianowski has more speed, agility, endurance. Savikas has more brute strength. Personally, I prefer Pudzianowski.....

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 10:12:49 PM »
Well, it all comes down to static lifts vs dynamic lifts. Pudzianowski has more speed, agility, endurance. Savikas has more brute strength. Personally, I prefer Pudzianowski.....

yes, he's definitely more on the endurance side (speed i'm not so sure about, they've each out-sped each other on a few events). and if you like that, that's your thing. but personally i don't think that's really "the world's strongest man". the world's strongest man, to me, is a guy who does a 440 lb log lift, not the one who gets 8 reps with 300 pounds.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 10:14:24 PM »
yes, he's definitely more on the endurance side (speed i'm not so sure about, they've each out-sped each other on a few events). and if you like that, that's your thing. but personally i don't think that's really "the world's strongest man". the world's strongest man, to me, is a guy who does a 440 lb log lift, not the one who gets 8 reps with 300 pounds.

Well, there's a sport for that...it's called powerlifting ;)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2007, 10:20:15 PM »
Well, there's a sport for that...it's called powerlifting ;)

i just think the WSM side has gone too far. when people are getting 16 reps on the deadlift or 13 reps on the presses, then the loads are too light. that's just a retardedly high amount of reps. strongman should be about brute strength, that's what it was when kaz did it. silver dollar deadlifts, real log lifts, overhead stones, that was the shit. now it's these long runs and endurance events.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2007, 10:31:15 PM »
Awesome quote from Glenn Ross:

"I disagree with that," Ross said regarding the idea that Pudzianowski's level of competition hurt him. "I'll be truly honest with you, Mariusz Pudzianowski is the best strength athlete in the whole world. He is not the best strongman. TWI, they produce the 'World's Strongest Man' (television show)...it is now down to speed, speed events, not power. If you want to see power, come to the Arnold."

Drij

• Getbig IV

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2007, 11:00:37 PM »
the one that kills me is that pudz got popped for drug usage. obviously they're all gassed up, what the hell was pudz doing that got him caught?  ???

Politics within the Polish branch of the strongman federation if I remember it correctly.

The details, I've forgotten.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2007, 11:02:09 PM »
Politics within the Polish branch of the strongman federation if I remember it correctly.

The details, I've forgotten.

-Hedge
the polish screwed him over? lol!
follow the arrows

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 11:18:40 PM »

A lot of people prefer Pudzi, they do so, IMHO, because he has a kickass physique.

If people would judge purely on performance, Pudzi wouldn't even be top 3. You would have at least Savickas, Mikhail Koklyaev and Virastuk ahead of Pudzi IMO. There are several guys like Steve McDonald and Muramets that are at least on par with Pudzi as well.

Koklyaev displaying some incredible raw power:

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2007, 11:22:49 PM »

If people would judge purely on performance, Pudzi wouldn't even be top 3.

It depends on what the criteria is. In itself, this is a very ludicrous statement from you IMO considering Mariusz has 3 WSM title, and the chance to go down as the greatest WSM ever if he wins 2 more which is fully possible.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2007, 11:25:44 PM »
Should've had his fourth this year. He lost 2 events by less than a second each to Pfister. If he didn't stumble on the first few steps in the car carry, he would've had it won easily.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 11:25:56 PM »
A lot of people prefer Pudzi, they do so, IMHO, because he has a kickass physique.

If people would judge purely on performance, Pudzi wouldn't even be top 3. You would have at least Savickas, Mikhail Koklyaev and Virastuk ahead of Pudzi IMO. There are several guys like Steve McDonald and Muramets that are at least on par with Pudzi as well.

Koklyaev displaying some incredible raw power:

-Hedge

Excellent video. That "muscle snatch" with 330 lbs is pretty much a 330 lb upright row & press. Incredible power.
a

Mongol

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2007, 11:57:55 PM »
I read somewhere (and this may be wrong) that up until the year that Marius was stripped of his title (2004?) Vasyl, Zavickas and the ilk were indeed competing along side Marius in the WSM. At the same time IFSA (who was contracted to help run the WSM) started to place binding contracts on their athletes not to take part in any non IFSA run events. Because of this a few athletes split from IFSA because of the restrictive nature of the contracts, when Marius was stripped of his title and banned for one year something happened between Met-rx (the main sponser of WSM - and the main sponser of Marius) and IFSA. I dont know extactly waht happened here but suffice to say that the split led to IFSA guys doing their strongman events and Met-rx guys doing the WSM. IFSA guys are not allowed to compete in the WSM (presumably due to contractual issues)

It's a real shame as I would love to see Vasyl and Zydrunas etc compete against Marius! Also I dont like some of the events in WSM like the Keg carry in the water. The Commentator said it tests the core strength of the athletes, Christ what next - squatting on a fit ball??!!     

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 12:04:26 AM »

It's a real shame as I would love to see Vasyl and Zydrunas etc compete against Marius! Also I dont like some of the events in WSM like the Keg carry in the water. The Commentator said it tests the core strength of the athletes, Christ what next - squatting on a fit ball??!!     

Are you saying that Kaz doesn't know what he's talking about? Interesting claim.  ::)

kck0006

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 12:13:32 AM »
Not sure how it works now but in the past WSM was by invitation only.  After Kaz won three in a row he was not invited back for several years for no other reason than he was so dominate at the time.  He could easliy have 5 or 6 titles under his belt. 

Mongol

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 12:26:34 AM »
Are you saying that Kaz doesn't know what he's talking about? Interesting claim.  ::)

Before you start to cry Kaz wasn't the one that said it, it was an ex English rugby player that stated it. He is the main commentator on WSM.   :-*

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2007, 12:28:44 AM »
Before you start to cry Kaz wasn't the one that said it, it was an ex English rugby player that stated it. He is the main commentator on WSM.   :-*

Kaz didn't disagree with him. So you're saying that Kaz doesn't know what he's talking about? Interesting.  ::)

Mongol

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2007, 12:37:10 AM »
Kaz didn't disagree with him. So you're saying that Kaz doesn't know what he's talking about? Interesting.  ::)

Because Kaz wasn't even in the picture, I dont know where he was or whether he personally agrees with the guy or not and neither do you. I just find it strange for a WSM competition to be talking about core strength and stability excercises.
Anyway lets not get too upset about it shall we. :-\

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2007, 07:05:16 AM »
here's an example of Savikas' ridiculous pressing strength, Kocklaev and Phister are both using quite a bit of leg to drive the weight up and Savikas uses none.

&mode=related&search=

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2007, 07:17:49 AM »
here's an example of Savikas' ridiculous pressing strength, Kocklaev and Phister are both using quite a bit of leg to drive the weight up and Savikas uses none.

&mode=related&search=

Awesome...pure strength!

8)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2007, 07:20:26 AM »

&mode=related&search=

That's beyond fcuking insane.

Just ridiculous. Nothing can describe that dominating strength.

Extreme.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2007, 07:29:35 AM »
That's beyond fcuking insane.

Just ridiculous. Nothing can describe that dominating strength.

Extreme.

-Hedge

how much does that dumbell weigh? looks like 85 pounds
A

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
how much does that dumbell weigh? looks like 85 pounds
i like you daddywaddy but sometimes you talk out of your ass, it's more like 185.