Author Topic: Sergio Oliva Article - Health & Strength January 1972  (Read 5999 times)

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
Sergio Oliva Article - Health & Strength January 1972
« on: January 04, 2007, 03:04:46 AM »
Here is the first scan from my collection of Sergio articles. This one is from Health & Strength January 1972. It's just a brief article on Sergio & Bill Pearl and why that author believed Bill Pearl deserved to win the 1971 Universe.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
Re: Sergio Oliva Article - Health & Strength January 1972
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:07:17 AM »
Page 2

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »
Thanks my friend.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:39:59 AM »
keep em coming, much appreciated  :)

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »
Seem to really care about things judges dont seem to give a crap about anymore.  eg proportions, posing and abs!
It hasn't helped...

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »
Nice shots!
just push some weight!

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 10:18:04 PM »
Nice shots!

Thanks Al, the footage of Sergio at this show is mindblowing. How any of the judges put Bill Pearl, as great as he was, ahead of Sergio is beyond me. I'll post screencaps from the footage of that show soon as well.

SERGIO!!!!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 05:51:57 AM »
sergio's head was too small ???

i stopped reading at that point. i guess we all know why sergio wasn't 'pleasing' enough for the author.

stilltrainin

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 10:51:49 AM »
Around 1967 or so,I was a young teenage lifter and wanted to see Sergio in person,watch him train, maybe pick up a few pointers.I took a bus across town in Chicago,got off at the closest point to the Duncan Y.M.C.A. and walked maybe a mile through a pretty bad neighberhood to the Y.This guy was a superstar in the world of bodybuilding and I was pretty excited to actually be in the same gym as him.I waited for him to appear and eventually there he was,massive,I had never seen anyone that big and muscular before.I watched him in awe for awhile and then a guy twice his size walked in and I realized that the guy that I thought was Sergio was actually someone else and this new guy was Sergio.My eyes were glued on him and I wanted to see what exercises he performed to build that kind of muscle.He went over to a weight stack with an overhead pulley,put on less weight than I was using, did a high rep set and then went over to the incline board,laid down and took a nap.I couldn't believe it.For three days I made the long trip down there and never did see him do a serious workout.It was still a thrill though,just to see him and be in that atmosphere.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
Around 1967 or so,I was a young teenage lifter and wanted to see Sergio in person,watch him train, maybe pick up a few pointers.I took a bus across town in Chicago,got off at the closest point to the Duncan Y.M.C.A. and walked maybe a mile through a pretty bad neighberhood to the Y.This guy was a superstar in the world of bodybuilding and I was pretty excited to actually be in the same gym as him.I waited for him to appear and eventually there he was,massive,I had never seen anyone that big and muscular before.I watched him in awe for awhile and then a guy twice his size walked in and I realized that the guy that I thought was Sergio was actually someone else and this new guy was Sergio.My eyes were glued on him and I wanted to see what exercises he performed to build that kind of muscle.He went over to a weight stack with an overhead pulley,put on less weight than I was using, did a high rep set and then went over to the incline board,laid down and took a nap.I couldn't believe it.For three days I made the long trip down there and never did see him do a serious workout.It was still a thrill though,just to see him and be in that atmosphere.

Did you talk to him?
just push some weight!

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 03:41:59 PM »
Interesting that Sergio wasn't allowed to compete in the Mr. O that year because he'd competed in a NABBA event but Arnold Schwarzenegger competed in the 1969 AND 1970 NABBA Universe and was still allowed to compete in the Olympia. Hmmmm....

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 08:08:43 AM »
Interesting that Sergio wasn't allowed to compete in the Mr. O that year because he'd competed in a NABBA event but Arnold Schwarzenegger competed in the 1969 AND 1970 NABBA Universe and was still allowed to compete in the Olympia. Hmmmm....

More reminders of the politics that have always been a part of a subjective "sport". Pearl was good but able to beat Oliva then, no.

Good article, thanks.