Author Topic: Bodybuilder afraid of White bread is BS to say the least  (Read 12364 times)

CC3

• Getbig II
Re: Bodybuilder afraid of White bread is BS to say the least
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 11:59:54 AM »
So Im guess you don't know what a Stigmata is? Google it my friend ;)

Dorkeroo is right.  The word you're looking for is 'stigma'.  'Stigmata' are the markings in the palm of the hand of one who was crucified.  No one ever uses 'stigmata' in the manner in which you used it.

EDIT:  Didn't see the Wiki link or haider's post until reading further down.  I apologize for the repeat.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 02:01:13 PM »
The only kind of bread my kids will eat is white bread. 
Why would anyone be afraid of white bread?

Absolutely no redeeming qualities in white bread. 

At least Sara Lee (and some others) have come up with something more nutritious.
:

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 03:53:55 PM »
Absolutely no redeeming qualities in white bread. 

At least Sara Lee (and some others) have come up with something more nutritious.

Wonder also makes a whole grain white bread.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 10:14:58 AM »
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/105185/the_truth_about_white_bread.html

It's hard to argue with this article (anecdotal evidence supplied by others above notwithstanding).

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 11:48:23 PM »
exactly...I'm not afraid of white bread though,i just prefer whole wheat or rye or basically any bread that isn't white bread.these guys trying to justify there white bread consumption are hilarious.only time I'd even consider eating any would be post workout.
DAWG

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »
I was looking to start a new thread, but maybe you can shed some light.

White bread doesn't have a lot of sugar in it...maybe 5 grams a slice.  But there's 30 grams of carbs per slice.  I'll assume it's coming from starch.

My question is, why does it rank so high on the glycemic index if there's relatively a small amount of sugar to begin with?

I'm asking because I'm going to use white bread and jam as a post workout carb source for a few weeks.  Usually I go by sugar amount, using Gatorade.  I'm wondering how many slices of bread should do the trick, but again..there's not much sugar.  Should I just use the overall carb amount instead of direct sugar grams?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 11:35:25 PM »
Okay let's lift the myth about white bread.

Fact is that white bread offers lacklister nutrition, fact is also that you can eat white bread if it is part of a stable wholesome diet.
Let's assume you have Oats for breakfast, brown rice for dinner you know you can get away with a sandwich in the middle of the day.
Here is were that myth that white bread is bad comes from:
White bread is in general high of glycemic 400 calories of white bread digests quickly and of course the rise of the blood glycemic is higher than brown wholesome bread.
High blood glucose triggers the blood to secrete insulin that in return is responsible to carry the sugar out of your blood.
As we all know, insulin can stimulate hunger and maybe triggers fat storage... so looking mainly at these points white bread is indeed a bad idea..... but only if you are overweight untrained/fit person to begin with.
If you are (as most here at getbig ::) ) a physically fit person your muscles will store the sugar from the digested bread as glycogen and the need for much much less insulin is required (than a unfit/overweight person) to full fill this task.
On top of that you can rest assure that active people can in general handle high glycemic food way better and don't need to worry at all about the glycemic effect of the food.

So stop being afraid of white bread, it is certainly not a very good foodsource, but it also does not deserve the stigmata it has.

no one is AFRAID of whitebread, dumbfuck

but if your dieting, its stupid as shit to eat food that are high glycemic.
even if you are eating a moderate carb/low fat diet.

...stupid shit, keep your nonsense in your own head

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks wholemeal breads taste nicer?

yeah wheat taste better to me too.
A

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 01:23:38 AM »

You should be the last to say that, Mr No-toothpaste.  :-X :-X

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 03:01:22 AM »
yeah wheat taste better to me too.

Yep. White bread is probably my least favourite. I prefer multigrain breads and stuff. Much nicer i think.
No doubt about it...

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 03:02:24 AM »
Yep. White bread is probably my least favourite. I prefer multigrain breads and stuff. Much nicer i think.

I hate white bread. Tastes like paper.  ;D

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »
You should be the last to say that, Mr No-toothpaste.  :-X :-X
bvitch squadfather slandered me, i never advocated a no-toothpaste diet

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 12:47:32 PM »

::) ::)

So you're saying when the wind stinks in europe it's not you?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
yep, white does have a high glycemic index. So if your diabetic, you shouldn't eat it. It will cause a high blood sugar spike, follow be a crash.
A

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 07:38:47 PM »
I was looking to start a new thread, but maybe you can shed some light.

White bread doesn't have a lot of sugar in it...maybe 5 grams a slice.  But there's 30 grams of carbs per slice.  I'll assume it's coming from starch.

My question is, why does it rank so high on the glycemic index if there's relatively a small amount of sugar to begin with?

I'm asking because I'm going to use white bread and jam as a post workout carb source for a few weeks.  Usually I go by sugar amount, using Gatorade.  I'm wondering how many slices of bread should do the trick, but again..there's not much sugar.  Should I just use the overall carb amount instead of direct sugar grams?

Glycemic index is calculated by how quickly blood sugar rises after consumption (based on 50 grams of whatever food on an empty stomach)(that's why you can't base everything on GI).  White bread raises blood sugar very quickly, even faster than table sugar, that's why its GI is higher.
:

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »

Glycemic index is calculated by how quickly blood sugar rises after consumption (based on 50 grams of whatever food on an empty stomach)(that's why you can't base everything on GI).  White bread raises blood sugar very quickly, even faster than table sugar, that's why its GI is higher.

...so if I were to use white bread as a post workout carb, since I don't have any sugar grams to count, should I just use the total carb count in grams of the bread?  Since the only carbs in the white bread are 'fast' carbs, can I treat them essentially as 'sugar' grams...usually I have around 100 grams of simple carbs via Gatorade but I'd like to change some things up.  Any tips?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2008, 05:38:54 PM »
::) ::)

So you're saying when the wind stinks in europe it's not you?
im not im not familiar with that expression...

no, glycemic index is a rating of the amount of carbs in one serving of the food.  the glycemic LOAD is the rating of how a food effects blood sugar.   

for example, a carrot has a high GI, because of its sugar content. but a carrot has a low GL because of its fiber content that slows the digestion/absorbtion of the sugar.

...so if I were to use white bread as a post workout carb, since I don't have any sugar grams to count, should I just use the total carb count in grams of the bread?  Since the only carbs in the white bread are 'fast' carbs, can I treat them essentially as 'sugar' grams...usually I have around 100 grams of simple carbs via Gatorade but I'd like to change some things up.  Any tips?

yeah, you could use white bread postw orkout, but your better off, in my opinion, with liquid carbohydrates. im not sure, but i think that gatorade is half sucrose, half dectrose...your much better off with a pure dextrose product, or even better, a waxy maize starch. but yeah, white bread will work too.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »

No he didn't slander you. Slander involves verbal defamation, whereas libel (what he allegedly did to you) involves the written word; you are thus a victim of libel and not slander.

You should seriously consider getting an education Cumdrizzle.
I hate the State.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »
im not im not familiar with that expression...

no, glycemic index is a rating of the amount of carbs in one serving of the food.  the glycemic LOAD is the rating of how a food effects blood sugar.   

for example, a carrot has a high GI, because of its sugar content. but a carrot has a low GL because of its fiber content that slows the digestion/absorbtion of the sugar.

yeah, you could use white bread postw orkout, but your better off, in my opinion, with liquid carbohydrates. im not sure, but i think that gatorade is half sucrose, half dectrose...your much better off with a pure dextrose product, or even better, a waxy maize starch. but yeah, white bread will work too.

I've tried straight dextrose...made me wanna vomit!...thanks for the ideas though.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2008, 02:25:36 AM »

no need to be so aggressive..god..

white bread is lame for teh dietz though and those vultures at the marketing companies sure hit it big when they thought of "LETS JUST DYE THE BREAD BROWN" gimmick, so make sure you get the dark dark dark seeded ones (i like them better anyway)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 07:52:29 AM »

Incorrect.
This from the Linus Pauling Institute

Measuring the Glycemic Index of Foods

To determine the glycemic index of a food, volunteers are typically given a test food that provides 50 grams of carbohydrate and a control food (white bread or pure glucose) that provides the same amount of carbohydrate on different days (2). Blood samples for the determination of glucose are taken prior to eating and at regular intervals after eating over the next several hours. The changes in blood glucose over time are plotted as a curve. The glycemic index is calculated as the area under the glucose curve after the test food is eaten, divided by the corresponding area after the control food is eaten. The value is multiplied by 100 to represent a percentage of the control food. For example, a baked potato has a glycemic index of 76 relative to glucose and 108 relative to white bread, which means that the blood glucose response to the carbohydrate in a baked potato is 76% of the blood glucose response to the same amount of carbohydrate in pure glucose and 108% of the blood glucose response to the same amount of carbohydrate in white bread (3). In contrast, cooked brown rice has a glycemic index of 55 relative to glucose and 79 relative to white bread (4). In the traditional system of classifying carbohydrates, both brown rice and potato would be classified as complex carbohydrates despite the difference in their effects on blood glucose levels.

Physiological Responses to High- versus Low-Glycemic Index Foods

By definition, the consumption of high-glycemic index foods results in higher and more rapid increases in blood glucose levels than the consumption of low-glycemic index foods. Rapid increases in blood glucose are potent signals to the beta-cells of the pancreas to increase insulin secretion (2). Over the next few hours, the high insulin levels induced by consumption of high-glycemic index foods may cause a sharp decrease in blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia). In contrast, the consumption of low-glycemic index foods results in lower but more sustained increases in blood glucose and lower insulin demands on pancreatic beta-cells (5).

Glycemic Load

The glycemic index compares the potential of foods containing the same amount of carbohydrate to raise blood glucose. However, the amount of carbohydrate consumed also affects blood glucose levels and insulin responses. The glycemic load of a food is calculated by multiplying the glycemic index by the amount of carbohydrate in grams provided by a food and dividing the total by 100 (1). Dietary glycemic load is the sum of the glycemic loads for all foods consumed in the diet. The concept of glycemic load was developed by scientists to simultaneously describe the quality (glycemic index) and quantity of carbohydrate in a meal or diet.
:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »
nope...ahaha...  princess..    glycemic index is a very shitty way of looking at foods...   trust me..use my carrot example... HIGH GI, but LOW GL...   what actually matters?  what matters is insulin. plain and simple....thats what it all boils down to. how does a carbohydrate effect your insulin levels.    and the GI is in no way an indication as to how a carbohydrate is going to effect slin levels.   the GL, however, is a DIRECT indication as to how a carb will effect insulin levels.

the GI is straight from the mouth of those rat bastard FDA fools. how many grams of sugar are in a given unit of food ...same type of thinkign as "calories in vs. calories out"...= LOAD OF BULLSHIT!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »
Nothing new here.
White bread linked to heart disease
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23349006-36398,00.html
:

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
nope...ahaha...  princess..    glycemic index is a very shitty way of looking at foods...   trust me..use my carrot example... HIGH GI, but LOW GL...   what actually matters?  what matters is insulin. plain and simple....thats what it all boils down to. how does a carbohydrate effect your insulin levels.    and the GI is in no way an indication as to how a carbohydrate is going to effect slin levels.   the GL, however, is a DIRECT indication as to how a carb will effect insulin levels.

the GI is straight from the mouth of those rat bastard FDA fools. how many grams of sugar are in a given unit of food ...same type of thinkign as "calories in vs. calories out"...= LOAD OF BULLSHIT!!

but its not, its usually on a scale of 1-10 integers, and as you know Candidate, there is alot more to food than a rating - good luck getting an 'energy boost' from carrots.. the sugar in carrots is pretty low, and theres not much to it.. basically water + sugar (and packed full of vitamins).

oh and caloric consumption vs caloric intake is a good place to start if you're looking to lose fat :)