Author Topic: Willis McGahee could possibly be traded  (Read 4151 times)

thisiskeith12

Willis McGahee could possibly be traded
« on: January 16, 2007, 02:08:29 PM »
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070116/1066004.asp

Willis has worn out his welcome

1/16/2007
   By JERRY SULLIVAN

Marv Levy has gotten a lot of credit for changing the culture of the Bills since taking over as general manager a year ago. Much of it is justified. Levy has instilled a renewed sense of camaraderie, and he has been firm in his commitment to players of high character and intellect.

But Levy can't have it both ways. The talk about character begins to ring hollow when his top running back, Willis McGahee, is embarrassing the franchise and the community at every turn.

McGahee has worn out his welcome in this town. It's pretty evident that he doesn't want to be here. From what I can gather, his recent request for a contract extension is a thinly veiled attempt to poison the waters with management and force a trade out of Buffalo.

Interviewed in this month's Penthouse Magazine, McGahee says it would be a "good situation" if the NFL had a team in Toronto. That's not all. McGahee says rather than put a team in Toronto, the NFL should move the Bills there. "Case closed," he says.

It's amazing to think McGahee could be so cavalier about the greatest fear of Bills' fans. He couldn't have picked a more ideal way to alienate himself from the local populace. His supporters, who patronize him as you would a recalcitrant 3-year-old, will say he was only kidding - as they did when McGahee said he didn't know it was fourth down in the season opener.

I stopped giving McGahee the benefit of the doubt long ago. In the Penthouse piece, he says there's nothing to do in Buffalo. OK, this isn't Los Angeles or Miami. But fans here don't need their millionaire athletes to rub their noses in it.

High character? Last week, it was reported in the Miami Herald that a woman had filed a paternity suit against McGahee. That makes three in 15 months for McGahee, by three different women. He has been declared the biological father in the other two cases and is paying child support.

Chiniqua Smith, one of the women getting support from McGahee, said she mainly wants her son - Willis McGahee IV - to have a father in his life, "not just every blue moon." Smith said "you can't hold a gun to someone's head" to force him to spend time with his child.

How do you preach character and justify keeping this sort of lowlife on your team? Owner Ralph Wilson said McGahee's off-field issues will weigh into any decision the team makes on a contract extension. Wilson wouldn't rule out an extension, but he seemed reluctant to give a monster payday to a running back he has termed a "disappointment."

"I've been in this game too long to have someone hold a hammer over my head," Wilson said Monday by phone.

McGahee isn't worth the trouble. He's an average running back. He's not worth the sort of investment that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is likely to seek (something in the four-year, $30 million range that Arizona gave Edgerrin James). The Bills could stand their ground and let him hold out of camp if that's his strategy. But that wouldn't be the best thing for a young, evolving football team.

They should trade him now. Get a draft pick, find a rookie to go with Anthony Thomas and move on. The running game might slip, but not significantly. Remember, the Bills didn't sell out their last four home games. There's a fragile connection with the fans right now. Taking a stand on McGahee will be a good bit of public relations.

McGahee isn't a very smart person or player. He misses holes. He misses blocks. And where the Buffalo community is concerned, he misses the point. He insults the town's intelligence, and Levy should know that. He's supposed to be in touch with the people here.

If Levy really gets it, he should get McGahee out of here. Case closed.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Willis McGahee could possibly be traded
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:11:41 PM »
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070116/1066004.asp

High character? Last week, it was reported in the Miami Herald that a woman had filed a paternity suit against McGahee. That makes three in 15 months for McGahee, by three different women. He has been declared the biological father in the other two cases and is paying child support.

Chiniqua Smith, one of the women getting support from McGahee, said she mainly wants her son - Willis McGahee IV - to have a father in his life, "not just every blue moon." Smith said "you can't hold a gun to someone's head" to force him to spend time with his child.

Good grief.  Who does he think he is, Shawn Kemp?  What a loser.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 03:43:07 PM »
He should be on the overrated list or the FF bust list.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:59:22 PM »
tom donahoe sure looks like a genius for drafting him when he had one leg over larry johnson ::)

that fucker was the main cause for the steelers missing the playoffs in the late 90's and now he has fucked over the bills

E
E

thisiskeith12

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »
tom donahoe sure looks like a genius for drafting him when he had one leg over larry johnson ::)

that fucker was the main cause for the steelers missing the playoffs in the late 90's and now he has fucked over the bills

E

Buffalo hates Tom Donahoe. Did you know he never EVER coached ANY form of football? He has gotten every job through friends. Chris Mortensen gives him a lot of praise still to this day because they are business partners. Lots of people in the Buffalo media think that Donahoe was still working for ESPN while working as the GM for Buffalo.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 09:18:44 PM »
Buffalo hates Tom Donahoe. Did you know he never EVER coached ANY form of football? He has gotten every job through friends. Chris Mortensen gives him a lot of praise still to this day because they are business partners. Lots of people in the Buffalo media think that Donahoe was still working for ESPN while working as the GM for Buffalo.

yeah it's like hiring some guy to be your gm because he won his fantasy football league 3 years in a row ;D

E
E

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »
yeah it's like hiring some guy to be your gm because he won his fantasy football league 3 years in a row ;D

E
i think that would work out better for the bills than this clown

thisiskeith12

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »

E

I've won mine 2 years in a row, what are you saying?

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 04:34:23 AM »

You need a job?
I

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:37:16 PM »

send your "resume" to all nfl teams

jon gruden once said that he often gets "resumes" from guys wanting to be assistant coaches or gm's

the "resume" normally consists of multiple fantasy football championships and multiple super bowl championships on madden football :D

E
E

thisiskeith12

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 09:36:23 PM »
send your "resume" to all nfl teams

jon gruden once said that he often gets "resumes" from guys wanting to be assistant coaches or gm's

the "resume" normally consists of multiple fantasy football championships and multiple super bowl championships on madden football :D

E

The hours are required. If I could just show up on Sundays to coach, I would be down for it. I think I need to win 3 fantasy titles before that happens though!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
As someone who came from Western New York and remains a Bills fan to this day (easy since LA has no football team) all I can say is . . . . it doesn't matter.  The Bills will never win a super bowl.  It is a cursed franchise, not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to obtain via the draft the type ofplayers they will need to become a great team.  If McGahee stays or leaves, it won't make a difference.  The team mirrors the area- depressing and no hope for the future.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 10:10:32 AM »
As someone who came from Western New York and remains a Bills fan to this day (easy since LA has no football team) all I can say is . . . . it doesn't matter.  The Bills will never win a super bowl.  It is a cursed franchise, not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to obtain via the draft the type ofplayers they will need to become a great team.  If McGahee stays or leaves, it won't make a difference.  The team mirrors the area- depressing and no hope for the future.

You are evil.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 10:14:35 AM »
You are evil.

I don't mean to be cruel.  But the Bills are like a woman who has ripped your heart out one hundred times.  After awhile, you become a bit . . . jaded.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 10:17:41 AM »
I don't mean to be cruel.  But the Bills are like a woman who has ripped your heart out one hundred times.  After awhile, you become a bit . . . jaded.

If you can't take it...

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 10:20:19 AM »
If you can't take it...

Then what, a trial separation?