Author Topic: What would the brits do if American football  (Read 2416 times)

body88

What would the brits do if American football
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »
catches on in a huge way? Imagine if American football became more popular then football?

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
Re: What would the brits do if American football
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:19:16 PM »
It won't. They had the chance in the 80s when viewing figures were really high and it didn't catch on that well. Very few people cared when there were two NFL Europe teams, one in Edinburgh and one in London. It will be a cult sport in the UK, same as basketball and Ice Hockey.

body88

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:23:19 PM »
It won't. They had the chance in the 80s when viewing figures were really high and it didn't catch on that well. Very few people cared when there were two NFL Europe teams, one in Edinburgh and one in London. It will be a cult sport in the UK, same as basketball and Ice Hockey.

Interesting, do you think the nfl may be able to get some better results the second time around?

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »
Interesting, do you think the nfl may be able to get some better results the second time around?

I doubt it.  The game has too many breaks and is too complex for British sports fans who are brought up on soccer.  Even popular British sports like rugby and cricket struggle to get big crowds at a domestic level (a lot easier for International games).  I think with the right marketing push, the NFL game in London will sell out, but can't see it leading to anything bigger.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »
too complex? Youre a cheeky bastard. It just doesnt appeal to us in much the same way you lack any appeal for rugby. Were different nations with different tastes, but to say we lack the intellect to understand the game is a fucking insult to me and any other Brit.

There is no way American Football will catch on over here, if it was going to it would have happened along time ago.
Scouser on Tour

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:49:39 PM »
too complex? Youre a cheeky bastard. It just doesnt appeal to us in much the same way you lack any appeal for rugby. Were different nations with different tastes, but to say we lack the intellect to understand the game is a fucking insult to me and any other Brit.

There is no way American Football will catch on over here, if it was going to it would have happened along time ago.

I am British  ::)

And yes it is too complex. Why do you think Rugby Union has got such a small appeal in Britain and longer forms of cricket at a domestic level? Because the games are difficult to understand and in the case of cricket not very fast moving.  Why do you think Ice hockey has got a decent following for a non-British sport? Fast, and pretty easy to understand. American Football will never catch on, because it is too slow and has too many obscure rules and tactics for British sporting tastes.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »
NFL has no flow or charisma.

English football has unparalleled flow and charisma once past a certain level.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 01:08:47 PM »
I am British  ::)

And yes it is too complex. Why do you think Rugby Union has got such a small appeal in Britain and longer forms of cricket at a domestic level? Because the games are difficult to understand and in the case of cricket not very fast moving.  Why do you think Ice hockey has got a decent following for a non-British sport? Fast, and pretty easy to understand. American Football will never catch on, because it is too slow and has too many obscure rules and tactics for British sporting tastes.

theyre not too hard to understand at all, they just lack appeal to alot of people. Not because the theory is too much for them but because they have a passion for mass sports like football. However you look at the international crowds for rugby and cricket and you see exactly the fanbase the sports have. There are regularly 70,000+ at twickenham
Scouser on Tour

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 02:08:23 PM »
theyre not too hard to understand at all, they just lack appeal to alot of people. Not because the theory is too much for them but because they have a passion for mass sports like football. However you look at the international crowds for rugby and cricket and you see exactly the fanbase the sports have. There are regularly 70,000+ at twickenham

Yes, Twickenham will sell out for Ireland and New Zealand, but not for Canada or United States. But many Premier division teams like Wasps struggle to get over 10,000 for a home match. A four day county game would be lucky to have a couple of hundred people at it, but internationals get a large crowd because it is tribal, see the Ashes, but what about England verses Bangladesh or New Zealand.  Go and talk to most average joes and what puts them off watching rugby, cricket...don't understand, it is too stop start, too slow will be a common reply...ask someone why they don't watch American Football...don't understand, too many advertisement breaks...

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 02:21:17 PM »
NFL = play for 5 seconds..then stand around talk for 30 mins while we watch the replay 30 fucking times.. :-\

its boring..and most NFL fans even dont know all the rules  :-\

plus most kids in other cultures wanna go actually play the damn sport they watch on TV...

how many people ya see playing football<NFL> in fields and parks and streets...

go to karachi or any cric playing nation and on a saurday..EVERY street and park and field has a game of cricket or soccer going on....

the drivers accept this as normal as you gotta weave thru kids playing in every street..or your car gets dented on a regular basis..

i wish cric would catch on in the US..sure would be damn good to sit in a bar and watch a 1 day..
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 02:22:36 PM »
and cricket and you see exactly the fanbase the sports have. There are regularly 70,000+ at twickenham

i've had people here argue that NFL has a wider fan base than cricket  ::)
carpe` vaginum!