Author Topic: Yankee stadium closing down  (Read 6081 times)

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
Yankee stadium closing down
« on: January 31, 2007, 11:39:01 AM »
this is an outrage. 
the most historic landmark in american sports culture. 
i'm just getting the news on this can anyone shed some light.
please tell me it won't be demolished.

a sad day, for sure.    :'(

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6427970
W

blinky

• Getbig V
Re: Yankee stadium closing down
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:44:02 AM »
ya that would be sad...and a little strange.

but eventually all these old stadiums gotta go to make way for bigger / better and newer.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:50:02 AM »
I'm not for a new stadium at all.. Why do we need a new one when we already have Yankee Stadium? That place is the Mecca for baseball fans. It's hosted 26 championships for christ sake..  ::) How can anyone even think about tearing it down?

I think George Steinbrenner has lost his fucking mind!

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:50:50 AM »
i can understand some of the ballparks and stadiums are dumps and need replacements, but there are somethings that should not be touched. 
yankee stadium
wrigley field
fenway park
i'm sure there are others.

i hope steinbrenner's wallet gives him a hernia
W

body88

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:00:33 PM »
I agree, there is so much history in Yankee stadium. They should not tear it down. Here in Boston there would be a war if fenway was ever torn down. They have been rehauling the whole stadium this past year, but it will never come down. They could make so much more money by tearing it down and building a place that could hold 60k people ( fenway holds 39k) but they would ruin the history. They have found creative ways to add to the stadium over the years. There are plans to add a whole new wing soon. They are making major improvments now, while keeping the historic feel. I wonder why Yankee stadium did not take the same approach.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »
I agree, there is so much history in Yankee stadium. They should not tear it down. Here in Boston there would be a war if fenway was ever torn down. They have been rehauling the whole stadium this past year, but it will never come down. They could make so much more money by tearing it down and building a place that could hold 60k people ( fenway holds 39k) but they would ruin the history. They have found creative ways to add to the stadium over the years. There are plans to add a whole new wing soon. They are making major improvments now, while keeping the historic feel. I wonder why Yankee stadium did not take the same approach.

Yes, I suppose one World Series in 86 years is worth keeping a building for. All joking aside, yeah it would suck. The new stadium is going to cost something like $750 million. Going to have to get to a game this summer and see everything once more.  :'(

body88

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
Yes, I suppose one World Series in 86 years is worth keeping a building for. All joking aside, yeah it would suck. The new stadium is going to cost something like $750 million. Going to have to get to a game this summer and see everything once more.  :'(

Why would they not just overhaul the whole place? They have the room. I would be pissed if I where a New yorker/ Yankees fan.

Fenway, Yankee stadium and Wrigley are pretty much museums. You can find most the history of the game in these three historic places.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 12:17:01 PM »
Why would they not just overhaul the whole place? They have the room. I would be pissed if I where a New yorker/ Yankees fan.

Fenway, Yankee stadium and Wrigley are pretty much museums. You can find most the history of the game in these three historic places.

It's falling apart. Every year there's chunks of falling concrete and all kinds of problems with it. They rehauled it in the 70's. I guess it's probably cheaper and more effective to just build another stadium next to it.

26 WORLD SERIES BABY. 27 THIS YEAR!!!!

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 12:46:43 PM »

agreed.
why can't it be remodeled like fenway? 
did steinbrenner even have anything to do with these decisions??
if so, then i understand why.
i'm not sure he even owns the stadium
W

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 01:45:16 PM »
this is an outrage. 
the most historic landmark in american sports culture. 
i'm just getting the news on this can anyone shed some light.
please tell me it won't be demolished.

a sad day, for sure.    :'(

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6427970

It's always sad when this happens... These great sporting arena's with so much history and tradition within their walls, and upon their hallowed turf... are suddenly deemed no longer fit for purpose.

But sometimes we have to accept that these magnificent colliseums of gladiatorial combat just can't cut it in our modern sporting age. And thus, with heavy hearts, we have to say goodbye to the old and herald in the new.

If I were a Yankee fan, I'd be praying that they (the money men) keep the name Yankee Stadium, and not sell the soul of the Yankees to coperate sponsors and rename it the 'Dunkin' Donuts' Stadium lol

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »
It's always sad when this happens... These great sporting arena's with so much history and tradition within their walls, and upon their hallowed turf... are suddenly deemed no longer fit for purpose.

But sometimes we have to accept that these magnificent colliseums of gladiatorial combat just can't cut it in our modern sporting age. And thus, with heavy hearts, we have to say goodbye to the old and herald in the new.

If I were a Yankee fan, I'd be praying that they (the money men) keep the name Yankee Stadium, and not sell the soul of the Yankees to coperate sponsors and rename it the 'Dunkin' Donuts' Stadium lol

very well said. 
i doubt they'll name the new one yankee stadium. 
i'm sure it will have some corporate logo on it.

".....and welcome to Vagisil Ballpark!!!!"

W

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 02:33:12 PM »

very well said. 
i doubt they'll name the new one yankee stadium. 
i'm sure it will have some corporate logo on it.

".....and welcome to Vagisil Ballpark!!!!"

Well that will be there big mistake. The Yankee Stadium is probably one of the most famous and iconic stadiums names in the history of sport. Second only to Wembley in England.

body88

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »
Yankee stadium and Fenway are the two most famous American sports venues. I would not want it torn down If I was a new yorker. It could be fixed. This type of thinking leads to the history of the game being lost.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »
This type of thinking leads to the history of the game being lost.

kudos.

the game of baseball will never be the same if there is no yankee stadium.
i just wish i'd had the opportunity to attend a game there. 

i have no reason to go now. 

W

body88

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 03:00:13 PM »
kudos.

the game of baseball will never be the same if there is no yankee stadium.
i just wish i'd had the opportunity to attend a game there. 

i have no reason to go now. 

If you are a big baseball fan, attending a game at Fenway and Yankee stadium is a must. I have to toss Camden and wrigley in there also. While not on the level of Fenway and Yankee Stadium they are still great.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 03:12:03 PM »

If you are a big baseball fan, attending a game at Fenway and Yankee stadium is a must. I have to toss Camden and wrigley in there also. While not on the level of Fenway and Yankee Stadium they are still great.

my father is a HUGE yankees fan.  has been his whole life.  loves mickey mantle.
he finally was able to see game there about 10 years ago.  he still talks about it to this day.
no big game, i think they played the marlins.  just the fact that he got to walk inside the house that Ruth built made his heart full. 
with this news, it makes me even happier he went.

i hate to say this but if the new yankee stadium is a big hit, you can bet that fenway and wrigley will follow suit.
it might sound ridiculous, but 5 years ago losing yankee stadium sounded ridiculous too. 
it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$. 
the dopes that make these decisions don't care about history.
W

body88

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »
No way Fenway will ever be rebuilt. They already proposed it a few times, and it was shot down. They have all these expansion/update plans in place over the next 5 years. Fenway is like a national treasure to NE people. Not to mention there is no room in the city for a new park.

But ya, I wish they would not tear down the historic parks.

Cool your dad got to catch a game in his favorite park. Nothing like it. My father took me to many sox games as a kid, and I hope to do the same with my son when I have one! The history and feel of fenway is fantastic.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »
No way Fenway will ever be rebuilt. They already proposed it a few times, and it was shot down. They have all these expansion/update plans in place over the next 5 years. Fenway is like a national treasure to NE people. Not to mention there is no room in the city for a new park.

Cool your dad got to catch a game in his favorite park. Nothing like it. My father took me to many sox games as a kid, and I hope to do the same with my son when I have one! The history and feel of the place is fantastic.

i hope you're right bro.  one sports monument taken down in my life is enough.

i just got off the phone with my dad, i could hear the dissapointment in his voice.
i wonder what they'll do with yankee stadium??

anyway, gonna watch my beloved Heels!!!
W

body88

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
i hope you're right bro.  one sports monument taken down in my life is enough.

i just got off the phone with my dad, i could hear the dissapointment in his voice.
i wonder what they'll do with yankee stadium??

anyway, gonna watch my beloved Heels!!!

So what are your fav sports teams besides the heels?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
It;s just a building or am I missing the point? Are they building a better one?

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 07:01:05 PM »
Here in Boston there would be a war if fenway was ever torn down.

If they can tear Boston Garden down, they can tear Fenway down. Something I still can't beleive they did. What was the reaction in Boston like to BG being demolished ?. I thought people would have protested and chained them selves to that building.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

body88

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 07:05:16 PM »
If they can tear Boston Garden down, they can tear Fenway down. Something I still can't beleive they did. What was the reaction in Boston like to BG being demolished ?. I thought people would have protested and chained them selves to that building.

SERGIO!!!!

The reaction was outrage. With what happened with the garden, there is just no chance. Not to mention the Celtics and Bruins are a huge part of this city. But, the sox are a whole different animal. While people loved the garden dearly, Fenway is on a whole different level. There is no way fenway will ever be torn down. The idea was proposed several times, and shot down every time. Also, the red Sox have committed to many large additions and renovations that have already been started. If you have ever been to Fenway you would see why it could never be recreated. Even if they wanted to build a new stadium, there is no room in the city to do it.

They just bought a large piece of land to build on over the mass pike. Added new decks, renovated all the current seats, added new sections and shops etc etc. Fenway is so nostalgic/historic it would be a terrible move for the franchise to think about building a new house. It is a legit tourist attraction on top of what it means to baseball history. Whether you are a sox fan or not, spending one day in fenway shows you why it is so special. I hope they never touch it. I am only 25 and get the historic meaning of the park, so I doubt the feeling will ever change in this city :D

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »
If I remember correctly Steinbrenner was trying to make the city of New York pay for a new stadium, he even threatened to move the team. Well, at least that's what I read. Baseball and especially the Yankees are a business. With a brand new state of the art facility his revenues increase and the team at least financially will be even more successful than they already are. Steinbrenner ultimately isn't interested in nostalgia, he's interested in money and winning.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 08:11:01 PM »
Though I hate the Yanks, it is sad to see the stadium is going to be blown to pieces!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 09:02:37 PM »

Cool your dad got to catch a game in his favorite park. Nothing like it. My father took me to many sox games as a kid, and I hope to do the same with my son when I have one! The history and feel of fenway is fantastic.

If Joe McDonald was successful in buying the team he would have built a new park on the pier in Southie. Alas Selig wanted John Henry to own the Sox so the deal didn't go through.

Henry and company would have loved to have built a new state of the art park with 20,000 more seats and state of art luxury boxes but he's not politically connected enough to pull it off in Boston. As it is they're putting seats in every nook and cranny of Fenway and building new sections where previously there weren't seats. They've done a lot but it's just not enough. Tickets are hard to get and are the most expensive in all of baseball, and that's when you can get them for face value.

I go somewhere between 5-8 times a year and I'm as big a lover of Fenway as there is but I'd still love to see a new park built with class the way Camden Yards was. Fenway is too old and delapitated and the seats are uncomfortable and cramped. And the restrooms are NASTY.

That being said I can't wait to see Matsuzaka or whatever his name is pitch this season. The place is going to be JUMPING even more than it always is. Hell, the sox could schedule a game for 5:00 AM on a Monday morning and the place would be sold out and the fans would be screaming. The funny thing is that's not hyperbole.