Author Topic: IPCC - Seas To Rise Between 28 - 43cm In Next Century  (Read 4857 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: IPCC - Seas To Rise Between 28 - 43cm In Next Century
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 11:37:23 AM »
Global Warming and sunburns are unrelated. You would want to look at Ozone depletion for your answer.

Is the Ozone depleting?  Or is that another stupid politcal issue?

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »
Global Warming and sunburns are unrelated. You would want to look at Ozone depletion for your answer.

Aren't Ozone Depletion and Global Warming one and the same issue?

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »
This is a no-brainer to me. 

Why isn't it to others?

Why has it beocme a politcal issue?

It's a scientific issue!

The question is not "if" the quesiton is "when"

We cannot continue to increasingly blow shit into our atmoshpere as our population increases and not have anything happen. 

There are many reasons to cut emissions the reduction of CO2 is just one of them. I think health effects from smog and respiratory illness from smelting and coal burning are real issues that are far more serious in the near term and are very much a local problem.

As for CO2, it is a global problem and it needs to be addressed as such. Reduction of greenhouse gases in Europe or America would be easy if we shipped of our complete economy to Asia, where global warming isn't a concern. This is what Kyoto encourages.

The earth is in a natural warming cycle, this was professed by none other than National Geographic. Their concern was that human impact would make the problem worse. This is the part that is up for debate. As for global cataclysmic events happening, don't hold your breath. The science of exact how much impact people are having is in its infancy and will need quite a bit more study before any definitive answer is known. It is true that CO2 levels are there highest in over 100,000 years, but our oceans are not very much higher then they were 10 or even 100 years ago.
Z

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 11:56:58 AM »
Is the Ozone depleting?  Or is that another stupid politcal issue?
Ozone depletion is far more serious than CO2. Without the ozone layer we all would die, period.
That is why ozone depleting refrigerants are banned or being phased out through the Montreal protocol.
http://esrl.noaa.gov/csd/assessments/2006/chapters/executivesummary.pdf

Aren't Ozone Depletion and Global Warming one and the same issue?
No.
Z

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 12:02:38 PM »
Ozone depletion is far more serious than CO2. Without the ozone layer we all would die, period.
That is why ozone depleting refrigerants are banned or being phased out through the Montreal protocol.
http://esrl.noaa.gov/csd/assessments/2006/chapters/executivesummary.pdf
No.

I was under the impression that global warming was an effect of the depleting ozone layer.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 12:05:32 PM »
I was under the impression that global warming was an effect of the depleting ozone layer.
Whoever told you this was wrong.
In fact Stratospheric temperatures are cooling not warming.
Z

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »

No, ozone depletion is caused or was cause by aerosol spray cans, which are now banned. With decreased ozone we get more UV rays.. UV rays hurt our skin, as well as damage crops.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 01:32:16 PM »
No, ozone depletion is caused or was cause by aerosol spray cans, which are now banned. With decreased ozone we get more UV rays.. UV rays hurt our skin, as well as damage crops.

I'm not particularly knowledgable regarding this topic. I thought I had read that global warming was a consequence of the depleting ozone layer.

I thought I had read that more sun was allowed in because of the depletion in the ozone and the extra heat was trapped by the man made greenhouse gases. Obviously I read it wrong or I am recalling it incorrectly.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 02:13:19 PM »
The very fact that the oceans will rise, and the temperature will rise by 3 degrees isn't very uplifting.

And that's the best case scenario.

This is, if we react, and do something about it.

-Hedge

Is it, or is this study the most accurate?  Oh, and if the world is 3 degrees warmer, is that a good or bad thing?  Will this hurt economies or help them?

The truth is, no one can really say one way or the other - after all - the earth has warmed in the last 20 years, right?  Yet we see stronger economies and better standards of living than ever.  Let's not jump to conclusions we don't yet fully understand.
Thread Killer

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »
Is it, or is this study the most accurate?  Oh, and if the world is 3 degrees warmer, is that a good or bad thing?  Will this hurt economies or help them?

The truth is, no one can really say one way or the other - after all - the earth has warmed in the last 20 years, right?  Yet we see stronger economies and better standards of living than ever.  Let's not jump to conclusions we don't yet fully understand.

Those 2 aren't related.  What are the reasons we have better economies?

-  Computers,  Better manufacturing,  Technological development etc...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »
Oh, and if the world is 3 degrees warmer, is that a good or bad thing?  Will this hurt economies or help them?

You don't understand global warming, or you would already know what "a few degrees" will do.

PLEASE watch An Inconvenient Truth.  PLEASE. 

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 02:32:16 PM »
You don't understand global warming, or you would already know what "a few degrees" will do.

PLEASE watch An Inconvenient Truth.  PLEASE. 

Okay, I'm convinced you're having me on now - you're going to use the old and trusty 'you don't understand' mantra again?? For those that haven't noticed yet, this has become Rob's calling card on these boards for anyone that disagrees with his views.

Rob, if my posts are so simply dispelled as fallacy, please feel free to point out why using facts.  You should have no problems doing so.  Your command of logic and argument is slipping badly.

'An Inconvenient Truth' is conveniently spattered with untruths.  I'll happily go toe to toe with you on this in a new thread should you desire.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 03:02:14 PM »
Bruce,

for the record - do you honestly believe that a 3 degree temperature raise won't affect the planet negatively? 

Crops ruined, beaches eroded... I can't believe I have to type this.

Tell me this - how many degrees do you believe WOULD be a problem, if you don't believe 3 degrees is a big deal?  5? 10? 15 degrees?  And, what do you base this upon?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »
Bruce,

for the record - do you honestly believe that a 3 degree temperature raise won't affect the planet negatively? 

Crops ruined, beaches eroded... I can't believe I have to type this.

Tell me this - how many degrees do you believe WOULD be a problem, if you don't believe 3 degrees is a big deal?  5? 10? 15 degrees?  And, what do you base this upon?

Actually what I said is we don't know - not that a rise won't effect the world negatively.  Stop hyperventilating and concentrate.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 03:36:18 PM »
Actually what I said is we don't know - not that a rise won't effect the world negatively.  Stop hyperventilating and concentrate.

Can you show a few scientists who believe that a few degrees will do no harm?  Everything I've seen says IF it rises, harm is automatic.    If your point is true, there must be many papers saying we don't know, or that they believe nothing would change.  '

you're being a dick tonight, bruce.  why is this?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 03:39:03 PM »
Can you show a few scientists who believe that a few degrees will do no harm?  Everything I've seen says IF it rises, harm is automatic.    If your point is true, there must be many papers saying we don't know, or that they believe nothing would change.  '

you're being a dick tonight, bruce.  why is this?

Ah, resorted to insults have we, Robert?  Do you not enjoy being shown up, is that it?

Oh, and Robert, it's morning here - time to wake up.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »
Ah, resorted to insults have we, Robert?  Do you not enjoy being shown up, is that it?

Oh, and Robert, it's morning here - time to wake up.

i could give a rats ass about "being shown up".  I didn't konw we were playing for points here.  I am here to learn, educate, and be entertained.

Your line "stop hyperventilating" plus starting a thread calling me out, having nothing to do with any political issues, was uncalled for.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 03:44:30 PM »
i could give a rats ass about "being shown up".  I didn't konw we were playing for points here.  I am here to learn, educate, and be entertained.

Your line "stop hyperventilating" plus starting a thread calling me out, having nothing to do with any political issues, was uncalled for.

Was it, or can you just not handle my ability to poke holes in your ability to debate well?  You'll notice I never abuse, Robert, which is less than I can say for you.
Thread Killer

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 03:50:24 PM »
Was it, or can you just not handle my ability to poke holes in your ability to debate well?  You'll notice I never abuse, Robert, which is less than I can say for you.

The "Robert" quip was a little creepy. Maybe you are getting a little infatuated with 240.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »
The "Robert" quip was a little creepy. Maybe you are getting a little infatuated with 240.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.  :-*
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2007, 04:05:53 PM »
yeah, it's weird as hell. 

look dude, i never claimed to be an expert debater, i never claimed to know every truth.  I present evidence and give my opinions and we debate them.  No one "wins" anything here.

I don't know you or understand this need to make it about 240 and not about the topics, but it's weird and I don't like it.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2007, 04:08:06 PM »
yeah, it's weird as hell. 

look dude, i never claimed to be an expert debater, i never claimed to know every truth.  I present evidence and give my opinions and we debate them.  No one "wins" anything here.

I don't know you or understand this need to make it about 240 and not about the topics, but it's weird and I don't like it.

Uh huh, and yet you justify throwing insults and telling me (and others) I don't understand ad nauseum?  Just a tad contradictory wouldn't you say?

Thread Killer

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2007, 04:08:12 PM »
I'm looking forward to skinny dipping once NYC is under water.  :D