Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board

Orlando Homeless Laws Stir Heated Debate

<< < (4/4)

Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: jaguarenterprises on February 04, 2007, 05:25:44 AM ---Wow, what happened between 1999 and the present to see the homeless population soar so greatly?

There is a difference between people who are homeless, and people who are beggars.

I don't have a problem being approached by these people. Maybe Canadian beggars are different, but the truth is, I haven't noticed much difference between the ones in the US & the ones in Canada ...except the ones in Orlando are smart enough to be homeless in a climate that's hot & sunny year round. :P

If you happen to encounter a greedy, lazy, selfish SOB who doesn't say Thank You... so what? That shouldn't deter you from helping someone else. How many greedy, lazy, selfish people do we encounter in our day-to-day lives, who aren't homeless or beggars? Does that make us retreat into a hole and not have contact with any more people? Why should we then react the same way with someone who is homeless?

I will on occassion buy a homeless person food or share my food with them. Knowing I've made a small difference in someone's life is reward enough. A thank you is always nice, ...but it doesn't compare with knowing you've made a difference, whether they realize or appreciate it or not. I pray I never reach a point where I lose my compassion for those less fortunate than myself. I know I will eventually lose my looks, ...but to lose compassion for humanity is a kind of ugly, I pray never to approach.

We're no better than the homeless despite what society preaches. Our circumstances may be better, but we're not.
You never know how big an impact a tiny little difference can make in someone's life. For those of you who have contempt for the homeless, I'd like to suggest you volunteer at a homeless shelter, or even a food bank, so you can get a solid understanding of how many of them got there, actually see the people in those situations, ......and not just their situation. There but for the grace of God go you & I.

I ran into a girlfriend from highschool volunteering at the Food Bank. Her life is a living hell trying to reconcile her day job. She evicts people by day, throwing them out in the street, making them homeless... so she's trying to make penance by doing volunteer work at the food bank.  It's not working tho...  I think she's going to keep volunteering at the food bank... but she's looking for a different day job. {giggle}

--- End quote ---

I have volunteered at a homeless shelter.  I don't lump panhandlers in the same category with all homeless people.  I specifically have a problem with the professional beggars, who make a living off people.  For years. 

There is one guy who has been at the same spot where all of us are coming into to town and have to stop at a certain light.  He wouldn't be there if he wasn't making money.  He changes his sign every once in a while, but it's always on cardboard and says something like:  "Homeless vet.  Hungry.  Please help.  God bless."  The one time I almost gave him money was shortly after the Iraq war started and he had a new sign that simply said "Bomb Iraq!"   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version