Author Topic: Article - Polar Bear Numbers have Quintupled Since The 70's  (Read 4483 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Article - Polar Bear Numbers have Quintupled Since The 70's
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »
Look, Lefties aren't the only ones who give a damm about Polar bears. I'm a huge animal person. Something has to done. I donate to several groups that support animal rights etc, specifically polar bears and wolves. The thing about global warming is, its not our fault. Atleast no totally. We're coming out of an ice age. This debate is ridiculous. I'm not sure why eveything has to fall on party lines. The dems come out and say that there is a problem and then attack big business to gain favor with the poor and increase thei power base. The repubs defend big business and the cycle continues without saving one polar bear or doing a damm thing about our dependence on middle east oil.
L

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 07:38:30 PM »
Forty years ago, polar bear numbers were becoming dangerously low... due to overhunting, oil speculation/spills, human encroachment. We intervened these last decades, and it's only through the continued vigilence of scientists that we've maintained their numbers. They didn't "just" flourish. Most people don't understand that.

The future holds other survival problems for these creatures, in the form of pollutants and climate change. Global warming seems to have become a dirty word because it polarizes ( :)) people either to the left or right, with the righties claiming it isn't manmade but is simply a natural manifestation of the world cooling and warming as it has for millions of years, and the lefties saying that it is, in fact, a manmade problem.  Either way, the cause, human or otherwise, is irrelevant. The simple fact is that the world is experiencing climate change which has, and will continue to affect the habitat of arctic marine animals, polar bears, etc. So, whatever you want to call this phenomena, yes, it is responsible. The last article I posted goes into the effects of climate change on polar bears in particular.

The irksome thing about righties is that they would have us believe that we need do nothing, (as in, hey, polar bears did just fine for 40 years, failing to factor in human intervention) that all will be right with the world because global warming is a "normal and natural" phenomena, whereas at least the lefties among us are willing to take some positive steps to prevent the extinction of certain species of animals.

I don't see it as black and white as that, Deedee.  For instance, I am neither of these two labelled groups you have given, despite what some on here may claim.  I think the important thing is that we're all keen to make sure Polar Bears are still around for our grandchildren to see, and from the evidence I've seen, I'm confident of it.  I'm not yet convinced a warmer planet would, in fact, harm the Polar Bears, and I'm even less convinced humans are responsible for this warming.  Nor have I seen much proof that we are actually able to promote the breeding of Polar Bears in the wild, even if we are able to stop them from being slaughtered - something we both agree is the right thing.
Thread Killer

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 07:49:08 PM »
Well if the ice flows melt..then its farther for them to swim..harder to find food. Also they say that scientists used to routinly find an average male bear at 1600lbs or so..they are much less then that now. Something has to be done.
L

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 07:51:39 PM »
Well if the ice flows melt..then its farther for them to swim..harder to find food. Also they say that scientists used to routinly find an average male bear at 1600lbs or so..they are much less then that now. Something has to be done.

But in other areas of the world this is not the case, the article I posted attests to this.  I still don't think we can say a warmer world means fewer Polar Bears.  As for their weights, I'm not entirely familiar with that, but feel free to post some links if you have some, HH.  Good to see we all agree to like Polar Bears!
Thread Killer

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 07:53:35 PM »
I don't see it as black and white as that, Deedee.  For instance, I am neither of these two labelled groups you have given, despite what some on here may claim.  I think the important thing is that we're all keen to make sure Polar Bears are still around for our grandchildren to see, and from the evidence I've seen, I'm confident of it.  I'm not yet convinced a warmer planet would, in fact, harm the Polar Bears, and I'm even less convinced humans are responsible for this warming.  Nor have I seen much proof that we are actually able to promote the breeding of Polar Bears in the wild, even if we are able to stop them from being slaughtered - something we both agree is the right thing.

Scientists around the world tend to disagree with you, and the empirical evidence, as they state it, seems to correlate with their findings. It isn't as simplistic as to whether there will be ample enough ice floes for the bears to frolick on.  Again, at this point, it makes no difference who or what is responsible for the climate trend, simply that at least some of the repercussions are played out in the animal world.

Not sure where you were headed with the comment that you don't believe we are able to promote the breeding of polar bears in the wild... were you referring to the conservation efforts of the last years?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 07:57:09 PM »
Scientists around the world tend to disagree with you, and the empirical evidence, as they state it, seems to correlate with their findings. It isn't as simplistic as to whether there will be ample enough ice floes for the bears to frolick on.  Again, at this point, it makes no difference who or what is responsible for the climate trend, simply that at least some of the repercussions are played out in the animal world.

Not sure where you were headed with the comment that you don't believe we are able to promote the breeding of polar bears in the wild... were you referring to the conservation efforts of the last years?

I'll clarify - what I mean is that I'm sure we can stop the killing of Polar Bears by poachers and other illegal trades, however, I don't believe this is necessarily conducive to increasing their numbers.  Human intervention in such matters tends to end up being something similar to the mismanagement of Yosemite National Park.
Thread Killer

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 08:02:40 PM »
I'll clarify - what I mean is that I'm sure we can stop the killing of Polar Bears by poachers and other illegal trades, however, I don't believe this is necessarily conducive to increasing their numbers.  Human intervention in such matters tends to end up being something similar to the mismanagement of Yosemite National Park.

From the title of your thread, and the efforts over the last forty years by scientists and conservationists to keep their habitat pristine, it appears that this is in fact conducive and successful in keeping polar bear numbers up.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 08:10:58 PM »
From the title of your thread, and the efforts over the last forty years by scientists and conservationists to keep their habitat pristine, it appears that this is in fact conducive and successful in keeping polar bear numbers up.

Maybe, or maybe humans have nothing to do with it (increasing numbers).
Thread Killer

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 09:56:24 PM »
Either way....We can't allow one of the smartest land carnivores to become extinct. Its hard with this animal because of its habitat. U can transplant wolves very easily but not so with  these monsters. I'd be very happy to care for orphaned polar bear cubs..kinda like very smart yellow labs until they grow up and eat u.
L

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 03:03:45 AM »
BRUCE bringing our attention to the fact that Polar Bear Quintupled due to human efforts to stop their extinction, can perhaps serve to remind us that efforts by human actually can give concrete results. :)

Ie, it's possible to do something about the global warming.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 02:35:08 PM »
BRUCE bringing our attention to the fact that Polar Bear Quintupled due to human efforts to stop their extinction, can perhaps serve to remind us that efforts by human actually can give concrete results. :)

Ie, it's possible to do something about the global warming.

-Hedge

Maybe, Hedge.  Or maybe we overestimate the positive effects we mere humans can have on our environment.  This also applies for the negatory.
Thread Killer

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 03:17:15 PM »
Maybe, or maybe humans have nothing to do with it (increasing numbers).

The animal world usually does just fine when humans stay out of their way. Greed however, usually blinds us and prudence takes a back seat which results in wholesale slaughter, human encroachment on their habitat, depleting their food sources, etc... by protecting their habitat and placing a limit on hunting, we usually take care of most of the problem... resulting in happy little creatures living in peace and procreating into healthy numbers.  Was I suggesting that Forest Rangers play God and actually participate in the rutting procedure... lol, no.  But scientists and conservationists, through their research and efforts, have protected the polar bear's habitat, guarded their migratory routes, constantly monitor their feeding/denning habits... and thereby ensure that the propegation of the species can rely on more than just luck... or alternatively, survive in spite of our greed and stupidity.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 03:18:58 PM »
Btw, Bruce you remind me very strongly of someone else who used to post here.  I mean that as a compliment for whatever it's worth.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 03:24:57 PM »
The animal world usually does just fine when humans stay out of their way. Greed however, usually blinds us and prudence takes a back seat which results in wholesale slaughter, human encroachment on their habitat, depleting their food sources, etc... by protecting their habitat and placing a limit on hunting, we usually take care of most of the problem... resulting in happy little creatures living in peace and procreating into healthy numbers.  Was I suggesting that Forest Rangers play God and actually participate in the rutting procedure... lol, no.  But scientists and conservationists, through their research and efforts, have protected the polar bear's habitat, guarded their migratory routes, constantly monitor their feeding/denning habits... and thereby ensure that the propegation of the species can rely on more than just luck... or alternatively, survive in spite of our greed and stupidity.

Totally agree, Deedee.

And who is this handsome (former) poster I remind you of? Someone dashingly attractive and intelligent, no doubt!  ;D
Thread Killer

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2007, 03:32:43 PM »
Totally agree, Deedee.

And who is this handsome (former) poster I remind you of? Someone dashingly attractive and intelligent, no doubt!  ;D

Definitely intelligent, and I'm certain he's handsome and... dashingly attractive...;D too. 

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2007, 03:54:34 PM »
Definitely intelligent, and I'm certain he's handsome and... dashingly attractive...;D too. 

Could there be two of us??

I think not!
Thread Killer