Author Topic: Promoting BB the Bob Chick Way  (Read 4406 times)

Tamer Razor

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
Re: Promoting BB the Bob Chick Way
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »
Bodybuilding popularity is directly relate to its atheles. The atheles now in general do their best to intimidate the averege fan. The NBA,NFL....make sure the atheles relate with the fans and are approachable. Bob Chic has been so sucessuful because no only he has a world class physique, but he has the ability to interact in a positive way with fans and media. The is absolute essesial to any sport. The NBA was saved by the competion of Bird and Magic and their ability to relate to fans and media.....no the same can be said by today atheles in bodybuilding.

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »
THE BAD GUY THING DOSENT WORK IFBB DOSENT LIKE THAT :)  I KNOW

You could make a grand come back like Hulk Hogan did Lee...Restore bodybuilding back to the way it should be and fight for the rights of the lower ranked pro's......... ;)
You Can't Do It!!!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 10:58:35 AM »
Bullshit...put a camera on a tripod and just film the game being played, and watch the ratings go into the shitter in record time.

One of the biggest stories ever in Poker was Chris Moneymaker's winning the WSOP (World Series of Poker). Chris was an online player who had never played in a live tournament. Chris has the personality of a tree stump.

Before online poker, a guy like Chris woudn't have even been in the WSOP. Now, there are several thousand Chris's looking to make that life changing big score. That's why the prize money is so huge: The winner this year got 12 Million (no typo). The drama of that type of money being up for grabs creates is what keeps people tuned in.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 11:02:39 AM »
One of the biggest stories ever in Poker was Chris Moneymaker's winning the WSOP (World Series of Poker). Chris was an online player who had never played in a live tournament. Chris has the personality of a tree stump.

Before online poker, a guy like Chris woudn't have even been in the WSOP. Now, there are several thousand Chris's looking to make that life changing big score. That's why the prize money is so huge: The winner this year got 12 Million (no typo). The drama of that type of money being up for grabs creates is what keeps people tuned in.

I'm not disputing your assessment of how much online poker has contributed...I agree.

The "story" behind Moneymaker...was the sell. That this "online" player found his way into the finals of the WSOP...the ultimate underdog...etc.

THAT's what I'm talking about...

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 11:19:07 AM »
This seems as good a time as any to remind people that they need to be careful what they wish for...

In every sport that has hit the money-gusher of TV revenues [i.e. baseball, football, European soccer] you'll find people bemoaning how commercialized and soulless the game has become in comparison to the good old days.

If in some alternate Bizarro universe bodybuilding is as big as the NBA, I guarantee you that its fans are bitching about how expensive tickets are and what greedy dickheads the competitors are.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 11:23:34 AM »
Chick,

I see what you're saying here, but I think the question is: WHO will tell the stories?  Particularly on the PPV and broadcasts whenever they are available?

I think of the Olympics.  Some of the sports have no interest to anyone, but they (in particular - NBC) does such a great job of storytelling, that you're compelled to watch.  Many of the athletes they cover don't even speak english, but they can make you route for that athlete over the American sometimes.

So WHO will step up and tell the story?  Some production company needs to step up.  From what I saw from Shawn's Fit over 40 DVD, I think the Chapman group is on the right track, but the big boys need to step up.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 11:34:51 AM »
the question is: WHO will tell the stories?

Yeah, they need someone to narrate the kind of "Up Close and Personal" segments they always do to give you a sense of who the athlete is before they compete in their Olympic event.

So picture Bob Solomon doing the voice-over...

"But in 2004, Dennis's dreams of Olympia glory began to look doubtful when he was arrested in Thailand for  the possession of hundreds of vials of anabolic steroids..."

"With his customary never-say-die spirit, Jay refused to accept the results of the diuretics test - threatening to sue the IFBB over a contract technicality..."

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »
This is like the 3rd thread in a row that i've complete agreed with Chick on....what the hell.  ;D

This is why guys are starting to release more than training videos. Lee priests reality dvd's and now Shawn Ray's over 40 fat-loss reality show are going to do great things for promoting bodybuilding.

P.S. - yes bob, the fitshow was/is great.
It's Hip to be Square!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »
Bob, I've got no problem with some narrative that gives the stories behind the competitors.  My objection is to introducing "bad guys" for people to cheer against.  What if the "good guy" comes in flat, or the "bad guy" is the better man on stage?  Does he still get to win?  If he wins too many, will he "turn good"?  What a load of nonsense that would be.

So history behind the competitors - fine.  Inspirational stories - great.  Scripted good guys and bad guys - bad idea.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 05:08:54 PM »
What if the "good guy" comes in flat

If he's Mr. Olympia, they give it to him again.

Hope this helps.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 05:22:03 PM »
Chick,

I see what you're saying here, but I think the question is: WHO will tell the stories?  Particularly on the PPV and broadcasts whenever they are available?

I think of the Olympics.  Some of the sports have no interest to anyone, but they (in particular - NBC) does such a great job of storytelling, that you're compelled to watch.  Many of the athletes they cover don't even speak english, but they can make you route for that athlete over the American sometimes.

So WHO will step up and tell the story?  Some production company needs to step up.  From what I saw from Shawn's Fit over 40 DVD, I think the Chapman group is on the right track, but the big boys need to step up.

Hmmmmmmmm.......I wonder who could be the guy to tell the stories?? ;D

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 05:33:30 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm.......I wonder who could be the guy to tell the stories?? ;D

Nothing personal, but that would seem more like Dan's gig.

You're more like the guy in the red blazer getting statements from the competitors backstage.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 07:09:05 PM »
Bob, I've got no problem with some narrative that gives the stories behind the competitors.  My objection is to introducing "bad guys" for people to cheer against.  What if the "good guy" comes in flat, or the "bad guy" is the better man on stage?  Does he still get to win?  If he wins too many, will he "turn good"?  What a load of nonsense that would be.

So history behind the competitors - fine.  Inspirational stories - great.  Scripted good guys and bad guys - bad idea.

If the good guy comes in flat..he loses. If the bad guy is better..he wins. whatever happens, happens.

I'm not talking about "Scripting" good guys and bad guys...I'm sure the BB fans will dictate for themselves who they like and who they would like to lose based on those personalities we put out there....

Years ago when Ronnie first won the Olympia...he was a HUGE fan favorite...a "good guy" if you will. Over the years that changed when he was winning number 5,6,7...people began to hate the fact he was still winning, belly issues, etc. Then the sentiment seemed to change again last year as he was going to be challenging for the all time record....

After Jay beats him, we see a shift again that he's a "bad guy"..sore loser, playing the race card, etc. etc....

We don't need to script, just need to bring out the personalities and attitudes to reflect the athlete..let the fans sort 'em out!

AVBG

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 07:17:03 PM »
If the good guy comes in flat..he loses. If the bad guy is better..he wins. whatever happens, happens.

I'm not talking about "Scripting" good guys and bad guys...I'm sure the BB fans will dictate for themselves who they like and who they would like to lose based on those personalities we put out there....

Years ago when Ronnie first won the Olympia...he was a HUGE fan favorite...a "good guy" if you will. Over the years that changed when he was winning number 5,6,7...people began to hate the fact he was still winning, belly issues, etc. Then the sentiment seemed to change again last year as he was going to be challenging for the all time record....

After Jay beats him, we see a shift again that he's a "bad guy"..sore loser, playing the race card, etc. etc....

We don't need to script, just need to bring out the personalities and attitudes to reflect the athlete..let the fans sort 'em out!

well said.. let the public opinion decide.

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 07:49:19 PM »

Wasn't this the concept behind the WBF?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2007, 07:59:19 PM »
Similiar...but they lost it with the silly costumes and hokey characters they created for each athlete.

Their guys were trying to portray a character, instead of just being themselves...there's a fine line which cant be crossed or you lose your core fan base.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »
How to save bodybuilding:

Find a white Lee Haney.  He has to be straight too.  No offense to all the bleeding heart liberals out there, but that's how the world works.  :'(

PS - Glenn Beck owns all bleeding heart liberals.

I am here.
just push some weight!

LAMA-PAI

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Censored! BY RON AND THE GETBIG CABAL !
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:28 AM »
hey chick what have you done to make pro BB better ?
being a lacky for the IFBB does not help anyone but you and the Evil Empire !
CENSORED BY RON !

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 08:26:23 AM »
hey chick what have you done to make pro BB better ?
being a lacky for the IFBB does not help anyone but you and the Evil Empire !

Why do you believe I'm a lackey for the IFBB?

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 01:14:38 PM »
THE BAD GUY THING DOSENT WORK IFBB DOSENT LIKE THAT :)  I KNOW

yeah your about as bad as FONZY...And like Fonzy you both jumped the shark and fuked yourself...Atleast Fonzy has Adam Sandler to bail him out and give him parts...Who is Lee's Adam Sandler???

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007, 01:27:58 AM »

yeah your about as bad as FONZY...And like Fonzy you both jumped the shark and fuked yourself...Atleast Fonzy has Adam Sandler to bail him out and give him parts...Who is Lee's Adam Sandler???

Henry Winkler is one of the greatest men who ever lived.  His role as The Fonz has immortalized him.  He also produced McGyver.  On top of all that, the dude is the epitome of shredded mass.

Chick-
I still feel that BB would be better served by retaining regaining some dignity.  The antics of some goofballs will get enough attention without promoters planning to push "colorful personalities."  Publicizing the physical and psychological benefits of following a healthy bodybuilding lifestyle will gain the sport so much more respect with the public than adding more "drama" to mix.  If it's the bottom line you're after: More respect from the public = a more popular sport = a wider fan base = more supp sales.  In any case, thanks for taking the time to reply in this thread.

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2007, 02:23:53 AM »
how can you expect 260+ to be engaging??? i need to bring on stage a package they didnt  have to bring on stage in the 70s so as much as i like arnold its just diff game,,,try to hold 300lb on your frame at 5'8-5'10 and you will see how you become slow irritated and quite often tired kinda person,,yes even at 6% bf,,,infact even more tired and weak at low bodyfat%

ray tried to do this persona star thing priest did too,,didnt work for them the ifbb didnt like it,,kamali tried and failed because he didnt have the physiqe to back up the act,,none of them hold size that ifbb wants as mr o due to height or in kamali case problem in the structure,,

the more mass you carry the less carizma you present because the more drugged you are and the more your liver and kidnys need the rest,,,so no time for no carizma as long as the ifbb want beasts on stage,,we need sleep!! ;)

by the way dexter should be mr o,,every single one knows it,,then victor should take it from him,,but as i said before the ifbb wants beasts as mr o,,,it just look better on a magazine
fallen angel

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »
Henry Winkler is one of the greatest men who ever lived.  His role as The Fonz has immortalized him.  He also produced McGyver.  On top of all that, the dude is the epitome of shredded mass.

Chick-
I still feel that BB would be better served by retaining regaining some dignity.  The antics of some goofballs will get enough attention without promoters planning to push "colorful personalities."  Publicizing the physical and psychological benefits of following a healthy bodybuilding lifestyle will gain the sport so much more respect with the public than adding more "drama" to mix.  If it's the bottom line you're after: More respect from the public = a more popular sport = a wider fan base = more supp sales.  In any case, thanks for taking the time to reply in this thread.

i was talking about Fonzy the actor(henry)...Not the producer/director ect...fact of the matter is Fonzy is not cool and neither is Lee Priest...

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 02:12:20 PM »
breaking news:  this thread kinda sucks.  i expected more from all of you.  work on this.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2007, 08:01:59 PM »
Monster contribution.  You may now return to the peanut gallery.

How's this:  Do you want women to say, "You're into bodybuilding?  What are you, still going through puberty?'

or

"You're into bodybuilding?  Cool!  Tell me all about it while I suck you off."

How the sport gets presented to the public will determine how much respect it gets.

However, since I am clearly waging a crusade-of-one in a sea of teenage wrestlemania fans here, I'll let this thing die now.

Have a nice day.