Author Topic: I guarantee that if we made English the one and only language written or  (Read 4026 times)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: I guarantee that if we made English the one and only language written or
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »
Deedee, thanks for the cross cultural assist.  I didn't know much of what you posted.  Very interesting.

Yeah, in some ways, it seems discriminatory to the English minority, and when I was a kid, there was some real resentment there from the English community.  But people had no choice but to learn French and that was all there was to it. Immigrants to Quebec were usually from French-speaking countries (that's why there's a large muslim community in Quebec) and by law their kids had to attend French schools. The "language police" thing has been a sore spot, since it seems a little fascistic/big brotherish to "watch" what language people are speaking, lol, and fine them when there are language "infractions." Today though, virtually everyone is bilingual and can live/work in French, so relations between the two communities are a lot more relaxed.  I was forced to attend French high school, which was really tough at first, but within a short time, was fluent. Now I'm thankful. Whatever you want to call it... "forced learning," "language immersion" -- it really does work.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 02:05:18 PM »
Of course bro.. We're basically apologists to blacks and hispanics, thanks to our politicians. Instead of awarding people based on merit, we go about giving opportunities to worthless sacks of shit who wont do shit. In the global scheme of things this is pretty dangerous.when you consider the fact that other nation such as India and China have embraced Lockiean ideals in that they promote the best and brightest. But what about us? We're busy being aplogist about slavery by giving undeserving the right to attend university and the right to do whatever the f**k they like. For anyone who's studied basic economics, this can't be a good thing. Under oureconomic model only the best are supposed to be promoted and that promotes the most economic equity. But no, that's not what happens.  IN a recent study by Princeton, it showed that asian americans(asians, indians) have are the most displaced by affirmative action policies. Aren't these the very same groups that are models, models sucessful within one generation? And these are the people we're shunning? This can't be healthy for this great nation.

Great Post
Valhalla awaits.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »
Asians and Indians actually have, for whatever cultural reason, a work ethic. Thngs just aren't handed to them and they realize that.

As for the whole aff action bs, it definitely is a bunch of BS in more ways than you think.  For example, the company I work for has won awards for diversity.  However, on my floor all the analysts, attorneys, and economists are white with a few asians/indians, and one black.  However, every secretary on the floor is black, as well as every staff member on the first floor (they make copies and handle office supplies).  If you look at the total percentages it looks diverse, but in reality the high paying, high skill jobs are still going to those who are skilled (in this instance).
Valhalla awaits.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 02:42:21 PM »
Actually, I think it's press'1' for English, and press '2' for Spanish.  ;D

Really guys, having grown up in a country that is officially bilingual, I really don't see the problem.

other than making labels a little more crowded, I see bilingualism as an asset.

"Toutes les lignes sont occupées. Pour le Français, applier le numéro deux"  :D

I guess I'm just used to walking down the street and hearing all different sorts of languages spoken.

for me, I find it really wierd or unusual to be in the States, and to see signs written exclusively in English

The problem is that a big part of the population is excluded from competing for jobs on equal terms.

They are forever handicapped, and that is not in the best interest of the USA.

USA have use for people who speak Spanish, sure. But first every single citizen needs to be beyond fluent in English. It has to be everyone's first language.

Why?

Because only then there won't be any language segregation.

English only. To get there, big efforts have to be made. Extra English teachers in all those Hispanic ghettos, and different things like that.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »
Pretty soon Getbig will have 50% spanish writing on it.. 

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 03:53:42 PM »
The problem is that a big part of the population is excluded from competing for jobs on equal terms.

They are forever handicapped, and that is not in the best interest of the USA.

USA have use for people who speak Spanish, sure. But first every single citizen needs to be beyond fluent in English. It has to be everyone's first language.

Why?

Because only then there won't be any language segregation.

English only. To get there, big efforts have to be made. Extra English teachers in all those Hispanic ghettos, and different things like that.

-Hedge
No. Turn on tv or have parents stop secluding themselves to Spanish only lifestyles.
Squishy face retard

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
Asians and Indians actually have, for whatever cultural reason, a work ethic. Thngs just aren't handed to them and they realize that.

As for the whole aff action bs, it definitely is a bunch of BS in more ways than you think.  For example, the company I work for has won awards for diversity.  However, on my floor all the analysts, attorneys, and economists are white with a few asians/indians, and one black.  However, every secretary on the floor is black, as well as every staff member on the first floor (they make copies and handle office supplies).  If you look at the total percentages it looks diverse, but in reality the high paying, high skill jobs are still going to those who are skilled (in this instance).

It is a bunch of bs and we shouldn't keep it around, especially when other nations are pormoting based on merit. But this will never happen, as Al Sharpton and others would bust out the race card.

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 04:03:16 PM »
Funny, if they are so proud of their country, then go live there..   

Left field comment..  Play ball!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 04:05:36 PM »
Funny, if they are so proud of their country, then go live there..   

Exactly! The fuckers don't even have status here and go around the streets waving mexican flags.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
Exactly! The fuckers don't even have status here and go around the streets waving mexican flags.
Proves my point perfectly.  You can't be a Mexican citizen and an American.
Squishy face retard