Author Topic: Retired NBA star Hardaway says he hates 'gay people'  (Read 6147 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Retired NBA star Hardaway says he hates 'gay people'
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »
Former Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said on a radio show Wednesday afternoon that he would not want a gay player on his team.

Tim Hardaway
Hardaway

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

Hardaway was a guest of Miami Herald columnist Dan Le Betard on the Miami radio show Sports Talk 790 and was asked how he would deal with a gay teammate. When asked if he would accept an active player's coming out, such as that of retired NBA center John Amaechi, Hardaway replied: "First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team.

"And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right. And you know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that," he said.
John Amaechi on Mike & Mike
Mike & Mike
John Amaechi will stop by "Mike & Mike In The Morning" at 7:20 a.m. ET on Thursday and respond to Tim Hardaway's comments.

Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami.

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

Hardaway, who was in Las Vegas on Tuesday at a pre-All Star Game NBA Cares outreach event, was both a coach and player for the ABA's Florida Pit Bulls in 2006.

Hardaway played for five NBA teams from 1990-2003 and was a five-time All-Star. He finished with averages of 17.7 points and 8.2 assists.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Squishy face retard

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Retired NBA star Hardaway says he hates 'gay people'
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 11:12:50 PM »
Well, at least he's honest.... The whole locker room thing is silly though.

I bet he's been in locker rooms with more Gay people than he realizes.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 04:54:35 AM »
you gotta respect his honesty.  he doesn't like it, and he admits it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 07:20:59 AM »
Well, at least he's honest.... The whole locker room thing is silly though.

I bet he's been in locker rooms with more Gay people than he realizes.

I disagree with the comments and the way he expressed them, but is the locker room thing really silly?  That's one of the questions I had about the integration of open homosexuals into the military.  We separate men and women into different locker rooms, bathrooms, etc., why not separate straight men and homosexual men? 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:48:31 AM »
This has blown up into a much bigger story than it deserves IMO.  That was all that the morning sports radio shows would talk about.

body88

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 01:42:46 PM »
Everyone has a right to his there opinion. That said, Tim should have known better then to express his feelings the way he did. Tim did not express his opinion, he admitted hating people for there lifestyle choice, big difference. Admitted he was a homophobe, felt gays had no place in America/the world, etc. America is much to politically correct for those comments to fly. Penny has already apologized, but was obviously to dumb to understand people would be ultra offended with what he said. Replace the word gay with black and you get the idea. The way he put those comments was about the worst thing you could ever do for his post NBA career. The NBA already wants nothing to do with him. The gay population is already circling the wagons, and Tim will lose many endorsement opportunities. He could have put those comment in a different context and been fine. Not very smart. He went on a hate tired, that is different then expressing your opinion.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 01:48:37 PM »
Everyone has a right to his there opinion. That said, Tim should have known better then to express his feelings the way he did. Penny did not express his opinion, he admitted hating people for there lifestyle choice, big difference. Admitted he was a homophobe, felt gays had no place in America/the world, etc. America is much to politically correct for those comments to fly. Penny has already apologized, but was obviously to dumb to understand people would be ultra offended with what he said. Replace the word gay with black and you get the idea. The way he put those comments was about the worst thing you could ever do for his post NBA career. The NBA already wants nothing to do with him. The gay population is already circling the wagons, and Penny will lose many endorsement opportunities. He could have put those comment in a different context and been fine. Not very smart. he went on a hate tired, not an opinion that really did not effect him.

It was Tim, not Penny.  Tim Hardaway has always been an imbecile. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 01:50:21 PM »
Everyone has a right to his there opinion. That said, Penny should have known better then to express his feelings the way he did. Penny did not express his opinion, he admitted hating people for there lifestyle choice, big difference. Admitted he was a homophobe, felt gays had no place in America, etc. America is much to politically correct for those comments to fly. Penny has already apologized, but was obviously to dumb to understand people would be ultra offended with what he said. Replce the word gay with black, and you get the idea. The way he put those comments was about the worst thing you could ever do for his post NBA career. The NBA already wants nothing to do with him. The gay population is already circling the wagons, and Penny will lose many endorsement opportunities. He could have put that comment in a different context and been fine. Not very smart.

First of all its Tim Hardaway, not Penny (aka Anfernee) Hardaway, a different player.  Second, as an ex-NBA player, he doesn't really have much in the way of endorsements.

body88

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 01:50:43 PM »
It was Tim, not Penny.  Tim Hardaway has always been an imbecile. 

You quoted me before I realized that, and fixed it! Tim has always been pretty arrogant. I agree, total imbecile.

body88

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 01:51:36 PM »
First of all its Tim Hardaway, not Penny (aka Anfernee) Hardaway, a different player.  Second, as an ex-NBA player, he doesn't really have much in the way of endorsements.

I know, read the above post. The NBA already canned his All star commentating appearance. What he said was pretty stupid. He should know better, being a former NBA player. I appologize for not fixing my typo before you saw it.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 02:03:59 PM »
A pro athlete that is homophobic???

Stop the press! Seriously, pretty much ALL pro athletes would have a problem knowing they had a gay man as a teammate. Disagree all you want but it's the truth.

I've been in a Pro football team's local room and believe me....that is not the atmosphere that would condone any homosexuality whatsoever.

I just can't understand gay dudes on any level. Do not understand what attracts a man to another man, period.

Sorry...I have a biased opinion simply because of personal experience. There was a former friend of mine that I went to college with who I knew was gay but wouldn't admit it. When he came clean with me I didn't freak out and I remained his friend for about a year. The guy actually led a double life and had a serious girlfriend.
Every time the dude got drunk he would just say all the wrong shit that I didn't need to hear. It became obnoxious after repeated advances and I finally told him it probably wasn't a good idea that we remain friends. He got extremely pissed and angry and I ended up beating the ever loving shit out of him. It sucks it had to happen that way but oh fucking well. I don't have any regrets about it.

Let me repeat that: zero regrets......

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 02:05:15 PM »
I know, read the above post. The NBA already canned his All star commentating appearance. What he said was pretty stupid. Its really not even debatable. I appologize for not fixing my typo before you saw it.

It reminds me of when Eddie Johnson, an ex-NBA star was charged with sexually assaulting an 8 year old girl and Jim Rome came down on him for it- only Jim Rome was referring to the wrong Eddie Johnson (at the time an NBA analyst for the Phoenix Suns) as opposed to the actual criminal defendant Eddie Johnson who was also an ex-NBA player.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2006-08-10-innocent-eddie-johnson_x.htm

body88

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 02:17:31 PM »
It reminds me of when Eddie Johnson, an ex-NBA star was charged with sexually assaulting an 8 year old girl and Jim Rome came down on him for it- only Jim Rome was referring to the wrong Eddie Johnson (at the time an NBA analyst for the Phoenix Suns) as opposed to the actual criminal defendant Eddie Johnson who was also an ex-NBA player.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2006-08-10-innocent-eddie-johnson_x.htm

Yeah, that was pretty bad. I was editing the post when you guys where reading the original post. Guess I should be faster!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 02:42:16 PM »
You quoted me before I realized that, and fixed it! Tim has always been pretty arrogant. I agree, total imbecile.

No biggie.   :)  Maybe this was an attempt by Hardaway to make himself relevant again? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »
I disagree with the comments and the way he expressed them, but is the locker room thing really silly?  That's one of the questions I had about the integration of open homosexuals into the military.  We separate men and women into different locker rooms, bathrooms, etc., why not separate straight men and homosexual men? 

My understanding is that we do it due to a difference in anatomy, not sexuality... That's always been my take on it.

My point is that he's probably been in a locker room with many gay players, but he just didn't notice.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 11:06:55 PM »
My point is that he's probably been in a locker room with many gay players, but he just didn't notice.

And he's pissed that his gaydar is so defective.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 11:11:16 PM »
And he's pissed that his gaydar is so defective.

Heh... probably so... I know mine works very well... Look there goes one now!!!

------------------------->

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 12:13:32 AM »

If saying something stupid was going to cost me millions of dollars, I'd probably keep my mouth shut.

When asked about Hardaway's comments, LeBron James said, "That's disappointing." 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 12:16:29 AM »
If saying something stupid was going to cost me millions of dollars, I'd probably keep my mouth shut.

When asked about Hardaway's comments, LeBron James said, "That's disappointing." 

Ah, Lebron shows that he HAS learned something in the NBA... he's got some class about him.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 04:51:18 AM »
Ah, Lebron shows that he HAS learned something in the NBA... he's got some class about him.

Yeah he's gotta keep that NIKE contract, or his baby's momma is going leave him.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 10:37:49 AM »
Yeah he's gotta keep that NIKE contract, or his baby's momma is going leave him.

No doubt, is there any question as to whether he'll be the biggest star in the NBA since Jordan?

He's a bigger star than Hardaway ever was.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »
No doubt, is there any question as to whether he'll be the biggest star in the NBA since Jordan?

Yes.   :)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 11:24:15 AM »
Yes.   :)

Who would you think would be bigger?  Christian Laettner?

Seriously though... Kobe? Shaq?

I dunno... I think if he can bring home a ring or two... he will definitely be bigger than either of them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 11:35:32 AM »

Who would you think would be bigger?  Christian Laettner?

Seriously though... Kobe? Shaq?

I dunno... I think if he can bring home a ring or two... he will definitely be bigger than either of them.

I will state up front I am a Lakers fan and have been for my entire life. 

With that disclosure out of the way,  :) I say Kobe.  Easy.  He already has 3 rings.  He has not only been all NBA first team, he has been first all Defense, which is something LeBron, Wade, etc. haven't accomplished.  Kobe gets it done on both ends of the floor.  He's the best closer in the game.  He has the best all around game in the NBA.  His jersey is top seller again.  Endorsements are huge.  He has everything Jordan had, except Scottie Pippen.  Give the Lakers another all star (at the 4 spot) and I think they start winning titles again.   

I don't think LeBron will get a ring in Cleveland.  Yes they beat my Lakers last night for the second time in about a week  :'(  but Cleveland isn't a very good team.  I can't see them attracting great FAs.   

I think LeBron has to become a lock down defender and bring home several rings before he can approach what Kobe has done.  But I do think LeBron will be a great player.   

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 11:50:59 AM »
 ;D