Author Topic: Buffs too tough? Go play intramurals, brother  (Read 2535 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Buffs too tough? Go play intramurals, brother
« on: February 14, 2007, 12:06:20 PM »
This is a classic!  You gotta listen the actual comments (in the link).

Buffs too tough? Go play intramurals, brotherESPN,.com news services

And you thought Ralphie the Buffalo running onto Folsom Field was intimidating.

ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd gives his take on Dan Hawkins' rant. Listen   

At a news conference earlier this month, Colorado coach Dan Hawkins, trying to turn around a Buffaloes team that went 2-10 overall and 2-6 in the Big 12, had a loud and clear message for players who think his training regime is too tough: Go play intramurals.

And the way he delivered that message, it might still be echoing through the Front Range.

Hawkins let fly with the loud rant when discussing the kind of toughness that he wanted to bring to the Buffaloes -- and acknowledging that it might not be for everyone. For example, he said, an anonymous parent sent him a letter protesting the players getting only a two-week break in their offseason conditioning program when they normally had three weeks off.

"Well we gave them a week at the start of the semester rather than at the end but here's my point, OK," Hawkins said in a calm, quiet voice.

Then he let fly.

"It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intrarmurals!" he roared.

"You've got two weeks after finals, you've got a week of July Fourth and you get a week before camp starts," Hawkins continued, still shouting at the top of his voice. "That's a month that's probably more vacation then you [reporters] get. And we're a little bummed out that we don't get three weeks?"

"Go play intramurals, brother … go play intramurals," he said, calming down.

Hawkins came to Colorado from Boise State, where he went 53-10, to turn around a program embroiled in controversy over recruiting practices and rape allegations by former female placekicker Katie Hnida. He succeeded Gary Barnett, who ignited a firestorm in 2004 when he reacted to Hnida's claims with criticism of her kicking ability.

Barnett stepped down in 2005 after reaching a financial settlement with the university.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2765424

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
Re: Buffs too tough? Go play intramurals, brother
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:32:56 PM »

hey Beach aloha, i just heard the audio on Mike anD Mike in the morning. when i get to work the first thing i do is listen to the ESPN shows on the internet. Mike and Mike, then Colin Cowherd then later in the day Dan Patrick (i dont really care for Dan though). do you do the same? its awsome.

body88

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
Good, you want to win? Better work your farging ass off. What a bunch of pussys sending letters.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
  hey Beach aloha, i just heard the audio on Mike anD Mike in the morning. when i get to work the first thing i do is listen to the ESPN shows on the internet. Mike and Mike, then Colin Cowherd then later in the day Dan Patrick (i dont really care for Dan though). do you do the same? its awsome.

Aloha Atheist.  I keep my radio on 1420 AM.  We have the same routine.   :)  I listen to Bobby Curran too. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »
i used to do that too but during the baseball season they interupt the programs for Giants baseball. i would rather listen to ESPN. and on the internet they play it with no commercials. if you have speakers you should try it. espnradio.com,  i listen to the sports animals on 1420 also. I like Bobby Curren,  i find most people dont though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:18:23 PM »
i used to do that too but during the baseball season they interupt the programs for Giants baseball. i would rather listen to ESPN. and on the internet they play it with no commercials. if you have speakers you should try it. espnradio.com,  i listen to the sports animals on 1420 also. I like Bobby Curren,  i find most people dont though.

I've been listening to the delayed ESPN shows on 1420, but I'll try ESPNradio.  Thanks. 

Bobby has that mainland, and particularly East Coast, in your face style that turns a lot of people off here.  There are things about him I don't like, but I'm a UH sports fanatic and he is a UH homer, so I deal with him.   :)

body88

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 05:14:20 PM »
Hey guys, not to go all o/t with thangs... Did you see that documentary about big wave surfing in HD? It was on discovery.They showed all the best places on the North shore of Hawaii. The whole documentary was about the history of surfing, which obviously included a ton of things about Hawaii. They then showed the huge waves of Mavericks of the coast of San Fran.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »
Hey guys, not to go all o/t with thangs... Did you see that documentary about big wave surfing in HD? It was on discovery.They showed all the best places on the North shore of Hawaii. The whole documentary was about the history of surfing, which obviously included a ton of things about Hawaii. They then showed the huge waves of Mavericks of the coast of San Fran.

Didn't see.  North Shore has some great waves (I don't surf).  I stay away from the surfing beaches.  Too many people.  I have two trees at Kailua beach with my name on them.  I can frequently be seen creating a public nuisance (by my presence) swaying between my trees in my hammock.  It is one of the true treasures in my life. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »
"It's Division I football!"

This is one of the best college rants I've ever heard.

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »
hawkins is a joke. they lost to a friggin' 1-AA team this past season.

he did another stupid rant trying to fire up some students by declaring 'the worst day as a buff is better than the best day as a husker' or something along those lines.
Go Big Red!!!