Author Topic: myostatin update  (Read 5507 times)

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
Re: myostatin update
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 06:21:10 PM »
how's the mutant kid doing now, seven years later

Take two 13 lb dumbbells and hold them out at arms reach (perpendicular to your body) and hold them for 5 full minutes... the kid did that at 5 years old in his doctors surgery.

The Luke

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »
This is great news.

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »
How long will he live?  Will his organs and what not be able to adapt to his high muscle levels?

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »
His mom is a former professional track and field star, his dad is a lumberjack (you couldn't make this stuff up)... they both carry one copy of the faulty gene but seem to be perfectly healthy. Don't know yet about the boy...

The speculation has run rife in genetics circles, the front running scenarios are:
-he'll grow to 5'2''ish, weigh 220 lbs (8% bf) and die young of sudden-onset muscle wastage(exhausting his satellite cell population)
-he'll grow to 5'5''ish and weigh 250-300 lbs (8% bf), but be chronically weak
-he'll grow to 6' and weigh anything up to 350 lbs (8% bf) and look like a shaved gorilla

...some dispute the growth stunting effects of his mutation and expect his growth spurt to continue unabated:
-he'll grow to 7' and weigh 400-600 lbs (8% bf)

...some reckon adolescence (testosterone) might even increase his growth rate:
-he'll grow to 8'ish and weigh 600+ lbs (8% bf)

...this is all speculation though. Nobody as yet has any evidence of this having happened before, but this last scenario is the one my money would be on.

On a sidenote, the first barbarian emperor of Rome, Maximinus Thrax (the Thracian), was reputed to have  been 8'6'' tall (which would be 8'3'' converted from Roman inches) and to have weighed 600 lbs despite being lean and agile. He reportedly often ate as much as 40 lbs of meat in a day and drank wine by the casket/barrel... his party piece was to punch the head OFF a living horse, thereby killing it.

The Luke

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 07:29:40 PM »
How long will he live?  Will his organs and what not be able to adapt to his high muscle levels?

The most recent news as of a few months ago was that he is totally healthy and his organs are normal.

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:11 PM »
the truth of the matter is, if myostatin blockuing drugs worked, there would be some proof.  They have ben testing this shit since 92 and you know they had human trials.  There would be some ridiculous before and after photos of people if it really worked the way the supplement companies would have you believe.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 12:24:28 PM »
the truth of the matter is, if myostatin blockuing drugs worked, there would be some proof.  They have ben testing this shit since 92 and you know they had human trials.  There would be some ridiculous before and after photos of people if it really worked the way the supplement companies would have you believe.

No human trials have taken place (at least not that I've read about), because it's hard to justify testing a drug that may well lead to fatal muscle wastage 20, 30 or even 40 years down the line.

Of course if you've read about such studies you could enlighten us, Kegdrainer.

The Luke

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »
His mom is a former professional track and field star, his dad is a lumberjack (you couldn't make this stuff up)... they both carry one copy of the faulty gene but seem to be perfectly healthy. Don't know yet about the boy...

SURE THEY ARE ...SURE THEY ARE.... CAN YOU SAY LIAR LIAR

Truth of the matter this kid is a biological experiment...something Hitler was trying to perfect as well when he tried using testosterone on German soldiers to pump them up and make them more aggresive in battle. I believe Hitler was the first to use testosterone...

This kid had his myostatin gene deliberately knocked out by scientist to see what would happen. All the scientist did was found a woman willing to carry the experimental child to term for them. The fabricated story followed the birth. How convenient that there has NEVER been another person of whom this has happened to and ironically it happened just as scientist discovered the potential of the myostatin gene just a few years earlier. The same excuse of this gene just happen to be absent in a bull which produced the startling results of a MASSIVE OVERLY MUSCLED BULL. Give me a fucking break with the track star mom and lumber jack dad...Even disney movies don't go that far into fantasy.

C'mon guys get your heads out of your ass...this is science at it greatest and worst. What will become of this kid? Will he grow up to be a freak? Will he die soon? All the animal tests have produced enormous muscles so much so the animal could hardly move and I am certain the strain on the animals heart must have been tremendous, because despite all, the volume of the chest cavity does not increase that much to accomodate a heart that would have to be vastly larger than normal. The kid will die from a simple over worked heart or suffocate as his heart grows so big it impacts his lungs in the limited chest cavity.

On a sidenote, the first barbarian emperor of Rome, Maximinus Thrax (the Thracian), was reputed to have  been 8'6'' tall (which would be 8'3'' converted from Roman inches) and to have weighed 600 lbs despite being lean and agile. He reportedly often ate as much as 40 lbs of meat in a day and drank wine by the casket/barrel... his party piece was to punch the head OFF a living horse, thereby killing it.
DAMN the ROMANS lie just as badly as the GREEKS...At least the greeks say it was MYTHOLOGY!!!!
The Luke
C

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 06:00:24 PM »
Samson123,

Wow... no really, wow... Hitler, Nazis, conspiracy theories and a really poor grasp of the underlying science...

I don't know what to say, I'm not sure what's appropriate... well, if in doubt:

"Hello Adonis"

The Luke

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 06:24:26 PM »
well, there are at least a few people that have been taking myostim or similar drugs since they were launched.  If the drugs worked, wouldnt those supplement companies use these customers in before and after pics?  Or does this shit only work in mice?

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »
well, there are at least a few people that have been taking myostim or similar drugs since they were launched.  If the drugs worked, wouldnt those supplement companies use these customers in before and after pics?  Or does this shit only work in mice?

Oh to be young and innocent again...

Every time a new drug or drug therapy is developed supplement companies market some starch powder with a similar sounding name. I'm old enough to remember "IGF-1b" a perfectly legal supplement that worked exactly the same as insulin-like growth factor one... albeit that IGF-1b was taken orally with a dropper and the real drug was intramuscularly injected, prohibitively expensive and withheld from the public pending the human trials.

Since then we've had dozens of other supplement scams... even some mass-market rip-offs such as liquid creatine, again delivered by dropper and again containing none of the active ingredient claimed on the label.

What about homeopathic muscle builders... homeopathic steroids... homeopathic testosterone. All as legal as sugar pills... all EXACTLY as legal as sugar pills.

The only real, proven, in-vivo myostatin blocker is still in the developmental stages... and it costs about $2,000 a week just to keep a lab rat on the stuff.

But, if supplement companies claim to be selling it for $69.95 per month supply... feel free to buy.

Any muscle gain would of course be entirely coincidental... or perhaps due to the placebo effect.

The Luke

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Samson123,

Wow... no really, wow... Hitler, Nazis, conspiracy theories and a really poor grasp of the underlying science...

I don't know what to say, I'm not sure what's appropriate... well, if in doubt:

"Hello Adonis"

The Luke

HITLER NAZIS CONSPIRACY THEORIES???? A little course in German history will inform you of all I have said as being true...Even the history channel did a documentary on hitlers desire to make the ultimate soldiers and therefore used testosterone in hopes of achieveing this.....DIDN'T WORK.  testosterone then in its crude form is not like it is today.

So far as the so called GENETIC FREAK BABY...I heard about that a couple of years ago, baby's birth was a couple of years after the initial release of info on this myostatin gene and how deleting it woud cause continuous unnatural muscle growth. Then voila a baby is born without the gene...coincidence???Think not. In any case any intelligent person would question the COINCIDENCE of something occuring right after scienctist have reearched it...even more so when no such thing ever existed before.
C

The Heckler

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 08:10:29 PM »
Oh to be young and innocent again...

Every time a new drug or drug therapy is developed supplement companies market some starch powder with a similar sounding name. I'm old enough to remember "IGF-1b" a perfectly legal supplement that worked exactly the same as insulin-like growth factor one... albeit that IGF-1b was taken orally with a dropper and the real drug was intramuscularly injected, prohibitively expensive and withheld from the public pending the human trials.

Since then we've had dozens of other supplement scams... even some mass-market rip-offs such as liquid creatine, again delivered by dropper and again containing none of the active ingredient claimed on the label.

What about homeopathic muscle builders... homeopathic steroids... homeopathic testosterone. All as legal as sugar pills... all EXACTLY as legal as sugar pills.

The only real, proven, in-vivo myostatin blocker is still in the developmental stages... and it costs about $2,000 a week just to keep a lab rat on the stuff.

But, if supplement companies claim to be selling it for $69.95 per month supply... feel free to buy.

Any muscle gain would of course be entirely coincidental... or perhaps due to the placebo effect.

The Luke

You are misinformed as usual.

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 09:09:52 PM »
Is it really a good idea to have a myostatin blocker? I mean we have it for a reason.  I see it in the same way as someone taking a drug that will stop the body from being able to Emulsify lipids in order to lose weight while being able to eat high fat foods.