Author Topic: Muslim cabbies tell airport they won't bend in alcohol dispute  (Read 5606 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Muslim cabbies tell airport they won't bend in alcohol dispute
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »
Doesn't look like there's much to debate.  Judi was agreeing that Sommalian taxi drivers should find other employment if they can't bring themselves to transport passengers with alcohol.  From the article posted, it doesn't appear that transporting seeing eye dogs is an issue with these people.

The Ribo does bring up food for thought in the post that got squashed between the others...

Ribo's point wasn't squashed. It's just that Bruce chose to ignore and try to deflect. He's just being himself.  :)
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 05:19:09 PM »
How novel, you label my efforts here trollism, and yet you back down from a reasoned debate against me.  I'll put you back into the 'politely ignore' box from now on, okay?

ps... as per the rules, you're not supposed to attempt to goad anyone into entering the cage.  :)

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 05:20:55 PM »
Ribo's point wasn't squashed. It's just that Bruce chose to ignore and try to deflect. He's just being himself.  :)

Well, it's a valid point. Why is it "more" acceptable for Christian pharmacists to disobey the law?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »
He's lonely in The Cage without anyone to keep him company.  :)

He'll be abhorring the cage in a few days. I have a feeling DeBussey might make short work of him
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »
Well, it's a valid point. Why is it "more" acceptable for Christian pharmacists to disobey the law?

You know my feelings on that. I don't think it's acceptable at all, ...and far more detrimental to society.
w

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 05:33:24 PM »
ps... as per the rules, you're not supposed to attempt to goad anyone into entering the cage.  :)

P.S. Where did I mention anything about The Cage?
Thread Killer

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 05:36:04 PM »

To reply on this, and I did mean to reply earlier, for your 'edification':

If this is indeed occurring, I was unaware of it, and would like to see a link.  Should it be proven to be correct, I will condemn it as I have this taxi driver issue.  I'd like to think people should leave their religions behind when fulfilling the obligations of their jobs.
Thread Killer

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 05:38:37 PM »

If this is indeed occurring, I was unaware of it, and would like to see a link.  Should it be proven to be correct, I will condemn it as I have this taxi driver issue.  I'd like to think people should leave their religions behind when fulfilling the obligations of their jobs.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-11-08-druggists-pill_x.htm

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-11-08-druggists-pill_x.htm

Thanks, RN.  I completely disagree with this pharmacist's decision and condemn them for acting in this manner.
Thread Killer

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
http://www.constitutioncenter.org/education/ForEducators/DiscussionStarters/PharmacistConscienceLaws.shtml

This is a little better.  It cites articles that are only two years old (2005 instead of 2004).   :D  I understand the issue though.  I've never discussed this one.  Seems to me they ought to allow the pharmacist to object to filling the prescription on "moral" grounds, but require that he or she refer the patient to someone else (in the same office or reasonably nearby) who can fill it. 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 05:51:13 PM »
P.S. Where did I mention anything about The Cage?

My mistake. This sounded like a cage challenge.

Care to engage this 'troll' in a debate?  You name the topic, we'll let the others decide the winner.  Think you can beat me?

The comment about the pharmacists wasn't aimed at you in particular. I was just musing in general.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2007, 05:51:58 PM »
This is a little better.  It cites articles that are only two years old (2005 instead of 2004).   :D  I understand the issue though.  I've never discussed this one.  Seems to me they ought to allow the pharmacist to object to filling the prescription on "moral" grounds, but require that he or she refer the patient to someone else (in the same office or reasonably nearby) who can fill it. 

But that sounds exactly like what the cabbies are saying.  :-\

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 05:58:24 PM »

Yeah, but Christianity is true and Islam is just some crazy bullshit they made up.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »

I think it's a different situation with the cabbies, because they work for a company.  If the company cannot reasonably accommodate the cabbies (and I'm not sure how they would do that), the cabbies have to find another job.  If the cabbie is independent, he or she can do whatever they want.     

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »
I think it's a different situation with the cabbies, because they work for a company.  If the company cannot reasonably accommodate the cabbies (and I'm not sure how they would do that), the cabbies have to find another job.  If the cabbie is independent, he or she can do whatever they want.     

You're right to a certain degree.  However, it looks like the Airports Commission is involved with the whole beef because as they stated, there's a safety issue involved here, in that they don't want people running amok at the airport careening into oncoming traffic trying to hail a cabbie willing to tote alcohol. So even if you have a bunch of independents, looks like it's still a prob. By the same token, from a health standpoint, women shouldn't have to scour the countryside to find a pharmacist willing to fulfill their prescriptions. Don't know if I'm explaining it well, but I think there's at least a string of a connection between the two.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 06:40:12 PM »
You're right to a certain degree.  However, it looks like the Airports Commission is involved with the whole beef because as they stated, there's a safety issue involved here, in that they don't want people running amok at the airport careening into oncoming traffic trying to hail a cabbie willing to tote alcohol. So even if you have a bunch of independents, looks like it's still a prob. By the same token, from a health standpoint, women shouldn't have to scour the countryside to find a pharmacist willing to fulfill their prescriptions. Don't know if I'm explaining it well, but I think there's at least a string of a connection between the two.

I'm not sure how big of a problem this cabbie thing is.  People often argue that the floodgates will open when you start accommodating various religious practices.  That's hardly ever the case, particularly when you're dealing with unusual practices.  I don't know anything about how many of them refuse to take fares of people with alcohol, but I would imagine we're talking about an insignificant number?  Don't know. 

I don't think a woman should have to scour the countryside either.  That's why I said I think the moral objection is okay, but I would "require that he or she refer the patient to someone else (in the same office or reasonably nearby) who can fill it."   

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 07:18:33 PM »
Cabbies are no different whether they work for a company or are independent.

They are a form of PUBLIC transportation that must adhere to codes.

If a Somali doesn't want to transport person carry alcohol or guide dogs that's his right (when acting as a private citizen in his private vehicle) on the job, he's charged with transporting the public, and as long as someone is not breaking any laws, or posing a risk to them or their property, they have no right to refuse them service. If the guy is drunk and puking... that's one thing, ...but carrying a bottle of wine?
w

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »
Cabbies are no different whether they work for a company or are independent.

They are a form of PUBLIC transportation that must adhere to codes.

If a Somali doesn't want to transport person carry alcohol or guide dogs that's his right (when acting as a private citizen in his private vehicle) on the job, he's charged with transporting the public, and as long as someone is not breaking any laws, or posing a risk to them or their property, they have no right to refuse them service. If the guy is drunk and puking... that's one thing, ...but carrying a bottle of wine?

You said previously that a taxi driver has the right to refuse blind clients, and yet now you say booze carriers are okay?
Thread Killer

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2007, 07:34:43 PM »
Stupid mother fuckers... So crazy about their faith and how carrying alcohol goes against their faith, but not one concern about how they are infringing on the freedom of others.

Fuck these guys. Take away their licenses and let's see how they like that, and if they take action then they should be deported.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2007, 01:53:26 AM »
I'm sure you're equally appalled by Christian pharmacists who refuse to dispense medically prescribed abortion pills.

Right?  :)

Not quite as appauled, but somewhat appauled.

Don't really know where I stand on abortion to give a true opinion on that one. Personally, in this day and age, too many women use abortion as a birth control method - it makes me sick.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »
I'm sure you're equally appalled by Christian pharmacists who refuse to dispense medically prescribed abortion pills.

Right?  :)

I am...
gotta love life