Author Topic: Windows Vista...  (Read 4954 times)

Mydavid

• Getbig V
  • thankd dweetir :)
Windows Vista...
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »
I think i'm the coolest chick on my street...anyone else have Windows Vista?

Lisa

PS. Sorry about the clean topic...not havin' much fun going the other way today.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Windows Vista...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 10:45:59 AM »
yep, came on my new laptop. i think it's a lot better than it gets credit for, honestly. you just need a lot of memory to make it run well.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 01:05:44 PM »
Fuck it...giving me lots of trouble sins i downloaded that shit... >:(

I liked the way it looked though...
?

trunksy

• Getbig I
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 02:52:49 PM »
I've been using it since November.  Lots of quirks since Sony hasn't written drivers for the 64-bit edition.  Everyone else that's running Vista today is still on the 32-bit edition.  64-bit computing will come to Windows eventually as more people stop writing code in 32-bit.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »
yah great os you have to rebuild your computer to get it  ::)

Mark1

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 03:22:23 PM »
yah great os you have to rebuild your computer to get it  ::)

I heard its not compatable with older software. ???

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »
I heard its not compatable with older software. ???
you heard correct

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 03:40:20 PM »
We use it in our QA department for new games... I do not run Windows, but that's because most of my work is done outside of a windows environment.

Vista looks pretty though.

trunksy

• Getbig I
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »
Is this the misinformation board? 

Every new operating system has minimum system requirements.  If your computer is too old to meet the minimum system requirements, yes, one of your choices is to rebuild your computer if you don't outright buy a new one.  Even OS X has minimum system requirements as much as Apple's marketing department wants you to believe otherwise.

Yes and no to compatibility of older applications.  Some programs work and others don't.  If you're running on a modern operating system, you should already be running 32-bit programs.  Vista has several compatibility mode options to run older programs. 

I'm running Adobe Creative Suite 2 and there are few problems that I've seen so far even though it's a 32-bit application and I'm running in a 64-bit OS.  I haven't had to run any compatibility mode options yet on the software.  You'll need to contact the vendors of your older software to check with them whether they are Vista-compatible.

So far, the only program that I've had to run Vista's compatibility modes for is a program called Joost but the program is still in beta so that's expected.  Once it gets released to the public, I expect it to be fixed.  One program that I do have a bug with is Adobe Acrobat 8.  Everything works fine except the Acrobat printer but that's expected since that requires a printer driver for Vista which Adobe hasn't made for 64-bit OS' yet.  Again, most people buying Vista today are buying the 32-bit edition so you won't have the same problem I have with Adobe Acrobat 8.  So again, the answer is, check with the vendors of your older software for compatibility.  They may have already released a compatability patch that you don't know about.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »

Every new operating system has minimum system requirements.  If your computer is too old to meet the minimum system requirements, yes, one of your choices is to rebuild your computer if you don't outright buy a new one.  Even OS X has minimum system requirements as much as Apple's marketing department wants you to believe otherwise.

Yes and no to compatibility of older applications.  Some programs work and others don't.  If you're running on a modern operating system, you should already be running 32-bit programs.  Vista has several compatibility mode options to run older programs. 

I'm running Adobe Creative Suite 2 and there are few problems that I've seen so far even though it's a 32-bit application and I'm running in a 64-bit OS.  I haven't had to run any compatibility mode options yet on the software.  You'll need to contact the vendors of your older software to check with them whether they are Vista-compatible.

So far, the only program that I've had to run Vista's compatibility modes for is a program called Joost but the program is still in beta so that's expected.  Once it gets released to the public, I expect it to be fixed.  One program that I do have a bug with is Adobe Acrobat 8.  Everything works fine except the Acrobat printer but that's expected since that requires a printer driver for Vista which Adobe hasn't made for 64-bit OS' yet.  Again, most people buying Vista today are buying the 32-bit edition so you won't have the same problem I have with Adobe Acrobat 8.  So again, the answer is, check with the vendors of your older software for compatibility.  They may have already released a compatability patch that you don't know about.

Well, now it's not all misinformation... You can say what you want, but OS X will still run on machines that game out 5 or 6 years ago... Vista will not.

That's just the truth... I have no problem with Vista, but there are some issues... corporate networks are seeing huge slow downs while they are migrating... something about Vista makes file copying from a 2K3 server to a Vista client very slow... but apparently, once all clients are Vista on the network, that problem magically disappears... very weird.

trunksy

• Getbig I
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 04:23:13 PM »

Well, now it's not all misinformation... You can say what you want, but OS X will still run on machines that game out 5 or 6 years ago... Vista will not.

That's just the truth... I have no problem with Vista, but there are some issues... corporate networks are seeing huge slow downs while they are migrating... something about Vista makes file copying from a 2K3 server to a Vista client very slow... but apparently, once all clients are Vista on the network, that problem magically disappears... very weird.

You're absolutely right.  Everyone OS is different.  In fact, Solaris can say the exact same thing since it's been on a 64-bit platform years before OS X could and in the case of Windows, over a decade before it but Solaris is rarely used on desktops except in engineering firms.

I heard of a guy at Jet Propulsion Laboratories who didn't reboot his Solaris machine for over 7 years.  I doubt Windows or OS X could make that claim.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 04:27:08 PM »
You're absolutely right.  Everyone OS is different.  In fact, Solaris can say the exact same thing since it's been on a 64-bit platform years before OS X could and in the case of Windows, over a decade before it but Solaris is rarely used on desktops except in engineering firms.

I heard of a guy at Jet Propulsion Laboratories who didn't reboot his Solaris machine for over 7 years.  I doubt Windows or OS X could make that claim.

Oh absolutely... When I was working at Northrop Grumman Submarine systems, they had a Sun box that they hadn't rebooted in well over 2 years. At Bell Labs we had a Sun server we didn't reboot in I know at least 5... I just rebooted a linux machine to update for daylight savings time and it had been up for at least a year and 1/2

I'm not a Mac freak... I use OS X for some things at work (We have HD video editors and you know how they are).

I was just making mention of the fact that the longevity of your machine running OS X seems to be a bit better than if you're running Windows... that's really all.

I can still install Solaris on anything that is at least a 64-bit CPU in the Sparc Environment... including machines built back in 1997 ala the Ultra series.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 04:34:03 PM »

well if your last os was xp pretty good fucken chance your gonna have to upgrade

trunksy

• Getbig I
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 04:47:26 PM »
well if your last os was xp pretty good fucken chance your gonna have to upgrade

Only if you want all the bells and whistles of the Aero interface.  Not everyone needs nor wants the Aero interface.  That's not me but for my parents they wouldn't know the difference.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 07:04:41 PM »

it's a fallacy though that nothing's compatible with vista. i use almost all the same software now (save for stuff that updated along the way) and have yet to run into a single program that doesn't work, from firefox to photoshop. drivers? come on, any time you switch OS's you need new drivers for your hardware.

Mydavid

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 10:01:20 PM »
I'm a little irritated with this whole new system...some because I'm not all that computer smart...anyhow, somehow i have the Microsoft Word non-commercial use (Trial) (because i just found our Product # now) and can not seem to uninstall the other...i can't even send shit from it...or if i find away to send it, no one can open it because  they are not "Window's Vista" compatible!!!!

HELP!!!

Lisa

PS. Give me a second and I'll try to get nasty :P

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 10:16:50 PM »
I'm a little irritated with this whole new system...some because I'm not all that computer smart...anyhow, somehow i have the Microsoft Word non-commercial use (Trial) (because i just found our Product # now) and can not seem to uninstall the other...i can't even send shit from it...or if i find away to send it, no one can open it because  they are not "Window's Vista" compatible!!!!

HELP!!!

Lisa

PS. Give me a second and I'll try to get nasty :P

You are running the Office 2K7 beta... It's ok.

You can save in the old format... just do a "Save as" and there should be an option for office 2003 or older word 97 style formats.

Mydavid

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 10:21:27 PM »
You are running the Office 2K7 beta... It's ok.

You can save in the old format... just do a "Save as" and there should be an option for office 2003 or older word 97 style formats.

Ok, i'll try that but i'm not sure about the beta part. So you're saying that when i "Save As" those options will pop up? Also, i do have a Product # that came with our new computer...do you know how i can use it? Everytime it asks for an Activiation # the trial one automatically goes in.

Thanks.
Lisa

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 10:23:57 PM »
Ok, i'll try that but i'm not sure about the beta part. So you're saying that when i "Save As" those options will pop up? Also, i do have a Product # that came with our new computer...do you know how i can use it? Everytime it asks for an Activiation # the trial one automatically goes in.

Thanks.
Lisa

I don't think Office 2007 is out full yet... I don't use it myself... I can look into it with the tech guys at the office though... They use Windows all day long. I'll see what I can find out for you.

Mydavid

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »
I don't think Office 2007 is out full yet... I don't use it myself... I can look into it with the tech guys at the office though... They use Windows all day long. I'll see what I can find out for you.

So i saw what you were talking about with "Save As" and it did give me a choice...now my problem is trying to email it...i click "email", it flashes and then nothing comes up...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrr!!!

Thanks again.

Lisa

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 10:31:58 PM »
So i saw what you were talking about with "Save As" and it did give me a choice...now my problem is trying to email it...i click "email", it flashes and then nothing comes up...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrr!!!

Thanks again.

Lisa

You'll want to save the email to a good location, then use the emails "Attach button" Usually looks like a paperclip

to search for the document and then attach it.

Mydavid

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 10:36:55 PM »
You'll want to save the email to a good location, then use the emails "Attach button" Usually looks like a paperclip

to search for the document and then attach it.

As i said i'm not that smart with this stuff...so get this...i write a manual and want to immediately send it off to my boss, i "Save As" and then do what?

Lisa

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 10:38:36 PM »
As i said i'm not that smart with this stuff...so get this...i write a manual and want to immediately send it off to my boss, i "Save As" and then do what?

Lisa

Save it to somewhere you know...

Open your email client

Write the email address where you want it... write your email.

Look for a paperclip... click the paperclip and it 'should' open a window to search for your document... Once that is complete... You can select the document... say "OK"

It should then be attached and you should be able to press the "send" button.

Email away.

Mydavid

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 10:41:12 PM »
Save it to somewhere you know...

Open your email client

Write the email address where you want it... write your email.

Look for a paperclip... click the paperclip and it 'should' open a window to search for your document... Once that is complete... You can select the document... say "OK"

It should then be attached and you should be able to press the "send" button.

Email away.

I'm going to try that...now don't you go to sleep...you're better than the $300 Gateway Tech Support :-*

Lisa

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 10:43:44 PM »
I'm going to try that...now don't you go to sleep...you're better than the $300 Gateway Tech Support :-*

Lisa

PM me if you get stuck.