Author Topic: Pats snag Adalius Thomas  (Read 1362 times)

body88

Pats snag Adalius Thomas
« on: March 03, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »
Peter King

One guy might have been underpaid in Lunatic 2007 Market Dollars: Adalius Thomas. He signed with New England for five years and $35.00 million.

The breakdown, according to Management Council documents obtained Sunday night:

• Signing bonus: $12 million in 2007.

• Option bonus: $8 million payable in 2008, applied for cap reasons in equal $2 million increments in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

• Salaries: $900,000 in '07, $900,000 in '08, $1.9 million in '09, $4.9 million in '10 and $5.9 million in '11.

• Workout bonuses: $107,000 annually if he participates in the Patriots' offseason workout program in Foxboro.

I say "might have been underpaid" because there is always a danger that a unique, great player in one system might not translate to that kind of player in another system. But I'll go on record saying this is a tremendous signing -- for both sides, not just the Patriots. Thomas gets what he wants, staying in the Eastern Time Zone (he did not want to move to California), playing with an annual contender, working under a coach who obviously is an imaginative defensive strategist and playing for a team that isn't a sideshow.

The Patriots get what they want, signing a versatile 29-year-old linebacker (mostly) to buttress a rapidly aging unit, adding a perfect locker-room influence, and leaving

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Pats snag Adalius Thomas
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 01:26:11 PM »
Best of luck of AD. Glad to have had you here during the years while you were in your prime.

:)

body88

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 01:29:16 PM »
Best of luck of AD. Glad to have had you here during the years while you were in your prime.

:)

We are glad to grab him in his prime ;) I guess that week of coaching the pro bowl, and watching Thomas play, made Bill have dreams of defensive scheming from hell.

Year Team                 G Total Tkl Ast Sacks  Int
2001 Baltimore Ravens 16 37    30. 7    3.5     0
2002 Baltimore Ravens 16 52    39. 13   3       2 
2003 Baltimore Ravens 13 43    40. 3     4       0 
2004 Baltimore Ravens 16 72    55. 17   8        1   *
2005 Baltimore Ravens 16 84    69. 15   9        2   *
2006Baltimore Ravens  16 83    64. 19  11       1   *

The trend will only continue my friend.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 01:50:58 PM »
NE's Caldwell had two key drops AND ran the wrong route on the last drive of their season.

If NE wants to really be creative, send him someone and get yet another draft pick or trade.

body88

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 01:55:55 PM »
NE's Caldwell had two key drops AND ran the wrong route on the last drive of their season.

If NE wants to really be creative, send him someone and get yet another draft pick or trade.

The draft is loaded with wr's. They will either trade down with one of the first rounders for two high second round pics, trade up, or use one of the first rounder's to trade for a true stud currently in the league. That is if they do not stay put (which I doubt) Welker is a great guy to pick up. A second round pick is disposable for us, due to the two first rounders we have. Since welker is a rfa, expect to see a "poisen pill" deal. Basically a poisen pill deal is backloading/wording a contract with big money options, a team would never have to meet. Since the rfa's team has to meet the contract word for word, you can insert language that makes the deal worth a lot of money if the rfa's suitor meets the contract, but would never effect you. Allowing you to pay much less then the contracts projected "worth". In reality,t he team courting the rfa would never have to meet the big money options while the rfa team would pay the full amount if they matched the deal. Years and projected worth, do not mean shit anyway. It is all about the  guaranteed money.

Seemed bit high to me, but with Brown retiring soon, there is planning behind this. This kid brings a Troy Brown like skill set. This kid can do a lot of shat. Welker had 68 receptions and over 700 yards in a bad situation down in Miami. He is also a very explosive kick returner.Touched the ball 81 times on kick returns last year. He adds a lot to your special teams also. Very durable guy, who is only 25, with a ton of upside. Shefter has Welker as a great pick up. Called him a "steal". Watching him play in the situation he is in, I can see the potential. The kid killed us when we played them. He also would replace Maroney/Brown/Hobbs on kick and punt returns. Now the Maroney is "the horse" he cannot be getting injured in punt returns like last year. Some people have the pats taking lb Patrick Willis with the first pick, and Sidney Rice with the second. Which means shit as things change every day.

Do not forget Chad Jackson, he was hurt all year. While Caldwell is a second tier guy, to his credit he had awesome playoff stats, and made some huge plays. He did f up bad with that drop tho. You would not get much for him, worth more to keep him.

Draft day shall be fun.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 01:58:12 PM »
We are glad to grab him in his prime    I guess that week of coaching the pro bowl, and watching Thomas play, made Bill have dreams of defensive scheming from hell.

Year Team                 G Total Tkl Ast Sacks  Int
2001 Baltimore Ravens 16 37    30. 7    3.5     0
2002 Baltimore Ravens 16 52    39. 13   3       2 
2003 Baltimore Ravens 13 43    40. 3     4       0 
2004 Baltimore Ravens 16 72    55. 17   8        1   *
2005 Baltimore Ravens 16 84    69. 15   9        2   *
2006Baltimore Ravens  16 83    64. 19  11       1   *

The trend will only continue my friend.
I know. Just sour grapes. ;)

I really do wish the guy well. Such a cool dude and a fantastic player.

Jerry Porter, here we come Baltimore!

body88

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »
I know. Just sour grapes. ;)

I really do wish the guy well. Such a cool dude.

I feel your pain bro. I hope I did not come off like I was gloating, not my intent. Just pumped up! I felt the same way when Branch left. Any news with Baltimore's moves?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »
The Ravens I think are going to remain relatively low key this offseason and build mainly through the draft. The team realisitcally has just a one year of oppurtunity remaining in 2007. The have to start thinking for the future.

A veteran right tackle is a priority. Pashos is history. Jamal Lewis will probably sign a new contract making less money per year. That was the reason he was cut in the first place because he was due a 5 million roster bonus. I would much prefer they draft a rookie RB with fresh legs and low mileage.

depth in the LB's and DB's are also a prioity. The defense got lucky because their lack of depth wasn't exposed because of the luck with injuries. They can't afford to risk it again this year.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 08:14:48 AM »
The Pats seem to be pretty busy in free agency. Welker alsways kills us so I'm glad to seem him here. Brady is a pretty good blocker and will make up for Graham. Sami Morris..ok we need another guy anyway and of course Thomas. We could also have Stallworth or Moss..or even Jackson. BB and SP aren't done yet.
L