Author Topic: Guitar Motivation  (Read 7387 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: Guitar Motivation
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 11:59:54 AM »

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »
Awesome vids guys
Holy crap that wim dude blew my mind
I figure I'll be able to play like that in about ........................ ........................ ......

35 years  ;D
See ya then

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 05:40:37 PM »
Here's a clip of u2, and the edge doing what no one else can on guitar.  There are others who willl play faster and more difficult stuff, but from 3:15-4:50 (roughly) there's no one else who can make their guitar sound like that.   What edge lacks in technicality he makes up for with impeccable musicianship, the timing of his notes and the emotion of them.  The guitar work throughout the entire song is f-ing brilliant, and the big solo is unreal.  its always fun to watch him play a solo as well, because he shows no emotion through his face and kinda looks posessed. 

EDIT: ooops, here's the link:

Nothing amazing here. May sound like it, but that's due to the effects and nothing else. He's not doing anything technically advanced, or harmonically advanced. :-\

Here's an oldie by Wim...This kid can play.

Now that is talent!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2007, 06:32:20 PM »
You fans of guitar solos might like this little ditty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3JAglkUrms

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:23 PM »
Nothing amazing here. May sound like it, but that's due to the effects and nothing else. He's not doing anything technically advanced, or harmonically advanced. :-\

I've never said it was technicaly advanced or harmonicaly advanced, but in terms of melody and musicianship and tone it is flawless and no one else can make their guitar sound like that.  end of story.  In terms of effects, there's not much going on besides distortion and slight delay, maybe a little compression sustain at the end.  Whenever people say," its just fx bla bla bla..." about anything the edge does, i have to just laugh at them.  Maybe you'd like his solo in this song, starting at 1:46 :

again, his tone musicianship and melody are flawless and make up for any lack of technicality.  Technicality is what uncreative guitar players fall back on.

Point proven again, by his uber-creative, nontechnical guitar playing (particularly the slide work at the end) throughout this song:

In other news, i'm getting a new guitar tomorrow, a reissue 1972 fender telecaster custom.  Now i'll have the deluxe and the custom.  BADASS guitars.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2007, 07:46:08 AM »

I've never said it was technicaly advanced or harmonicaly advanced, but in terms of melody and musicianship and tone it is flawless and no one else can make their guitar sound like that.  end of story.  In terms of effects, there's not much going on besides distortion and slight delay, maybe a little compression sustain at the end.  Whenever people say," its just fx bla bla bla..." about anything the edge does, i have to just laugh at them.  Maybe you'd like his solo in this song, starting at 1:46 :

First, I'll say that was the best I've ever heard from The Edge. I've never been impressed by his playing. Again, it's mainly effects that allows him to sound the way he does. In the above link, the effects and sheer volume allowed him to get that sound. Nothing he did in there was advanced. Just by listening to it, I can hear him playing a minor pentatonic scale, and he repeated the same idea (motif if you will) a couple of times. Usually you do this to build tension, but I think due to the style of the song and genre, it doesn't go anywhere. Then, when he "releases" the tension, he's just doing a pedal tone by using an open string and playing the scale again. Nothing harmonically advanced.
Just like Stevie Ray Vaughan, nothing he did was ground breaking in terms of harmonics or chords he played over. Just the sheer feeling, power and the way he consistently (accurately to boot) put his ideas (and if you listen closely you'll hear his playing of licks is "limited" but how he strung them together endlessly) together is what is so impressive.
In this day and age, it's hard to do something that hasn't been done. What hasn't been done? We're in a time, where we've seen Coltrane, Hendrix, Clapton, EVH, Yngwie, Bach, and hundreds of thousands of other innovators. Where do we go next? 

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2007, 02:23:29 PM »
Damn Lizzy.....that was a sick display of guitar soloing.....MY wrist was sore after watching that  ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »

again, his tone musicianship and melody are flawless and make up for any lack of technicality.  Technicality is what uncreative guitar players fall back on.

Point proven again, by his uber-creative, nontechnical guitar playing (particularly the slide work at the end) throughout this song:

In other news, i'm getting a new guitar tomorrow, a reissue 1972 fender telecaster custom.  Now i'll have the deluxe and the custom.  BADASS guitars.

IMO alex lifeson has a better tone, and is a superior player in every regard. listen to the rush in rio concert, especially songs like red sector A, bravado, the pass, and my god listen to 'leave that thing alone', especially the solo i cant even explain how incredible he sounds

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2007, 01:21:08 AM »
Paul Gilbert on Acoustic

&mode=related&search=

Paul Gilbert on Electric

&mode=related&search=

Paul Gilbert can do it all.  Awesome technical player.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2007, 01:27:59 AM »
I think you're all missing the point that The Edge has never been about his ability, he's the anti guitar hero and thats what makes him so rare.  The true test of one's music is its affect on people.  Many guitar heroes affect a small portion of guitar fans, play a malmsteen track to 100 people off the street, and maybe 5 will know who it is, play anything by the Edge and people will recognize it instantly.  intro to "where the streets have no name" anyone??  Malmsteen never wrote anything that timeless or that creative, he shits all over edge in a battle of technicality, but his music doesn't compare.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 01:33:25 AM »
Oh, if you guys want to see an insane jazz guitarist, check out charley hunter, i saw him at yoshi's last year... unreal talent.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2007, 09:52:02 AM »
If you wanna see a great guitarist, check out Rik Emmett, if he comes to your town. I took this shot at the Cutting Room in NYC.

c-sharp minor

• Getbig II
  • omgwtfbbq
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »
If you wanna see a great guitarist, check out Rik Emmett, if he comes to your town. I took this shot at the Cutting Room in NYC.

Hell yeah!

One of my earliest influences. He was just a kid when he wrote "Blinding Light Show".  Great versatility.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2007, 02:25:16 PM »
Hell yeah!

One of my earliest influences. He was just a kid when he wrote "Blinding Light Show".  Great versatility.

The club where I saw Rik earlier this year holds about 150. Here's Rik performing for 500,000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNhw1Ln9g4o

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »
This one just never gets old.....even though it is old....as well as the video.....
Jump to the 2 minute mark to get to the solo if ya want....

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »
Another......one of the all time greats IMO
If your impatient jump to 2:55

I need to go practice........a lot

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2007, 01:19:22 PM »
Steve Vai

RIP Bob Probert

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »
yep Vai always rocks.

So many great guitarists...

John Petrucci from Dream Theater
Dweezil Zappa is great
Jason Becker (dead)
I was even amazed by Prince but the bastard made Youtube take off all his underground concert stuff.  Wish I would have downloaded it. 

I've been playing for 22 years and still suck.   >:(

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2007, 04:35:05 PM »
yep Vai always rocks.

So many great guitarists...

John Petrucci from Dream Theater
Dweezil Zappa is great
Jason Becker (dead)
I was even amazed by Prince but the bastard made Youtube take off all his underground concert stuff.  Wish I would have downloaded it. 

I've been playing for 22 years and still suck.   >:(

Jason Becker ain't dead. He is bound to a wheelchair. He suffers from ALS.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2007, 04:36:50 PM »
Steve Vai

Haha, Debussey learned to play the solo seen on the first link a few years ago. It is the intro to "for the love of god" on the G3 dvd.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »
Jason Becker ain't dead. He is bound to a wheelchair. He suffers from ALS.

shit dude....you are right.  Don't know why I thought he was.  I guess it has been so long.  Kinda like people don't know Abe Vigoda is still alive.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2007, 06:38:15 PM »
shit dude....you are right.  Don't know why I thought he was.  I guess it has been so long.  Kinda like people don't know Abe Vigoda is still alive.

He used to answer all his emails as well. He is a great guy, keeping his spirits up when faced with the worst of adversity.

Do you own/play some of his stuff?

Perpetual burn = a shred classic.

The Cacophony stuff with Marty F. = great shit as well.

Serrana: Great sweep workout and wrist killer.

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

c-sharp minor

• Getbig II
  • omgwtfbbq
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2007, 07:09:25 PM »
He used to answer all his emails as well. He is a great guy, keeping his spirits up when faced with the worst of adversity.

Do you own/play some of his stuff?

Perpetual burn = a shred classic.

The Cacophony stuff with Marty F. = great shit as well.

Serrana: Great sweep workout and wrist killer.

Heck, he wrote "Perspective" without being able to lay a finger on the guitar. Amazing talent.

Marty rocks too. :)

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
Heck, he wrote "Perspective" without being able to lay a finger on the guitar. Amazing talent.

Marty rocks too. :)

Yeah, Jason Becker = one great musician. Hopefully he will recover in the future.....

Have you seen Martys Hot Licks? video?

He is one funny fucker ;D
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2007, 08:25:51 PM »

:'(
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!