Author Topic: SPC Aguayo Convicted at Court Martial  (Read 5409 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: SPC Aguayo Convicted at Court Martial
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
The invasion was ordered by the executive branch, correct?

Maybe there should be a law against using the office of President for personal gain. 

Yes it was ordered by the executive branch, because he is the Commander in Chief.  But the issue you raised is whether the war is "illegal."  I understand having that opinion, but it will not hold up in any court, military or otherwise, because Congress endorsed the war, at least twice, after it started, and we have a multinational force.  I think the "illegal" argument would be much stronger if the UN voted that it was unauthorized.    

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 10:25:31 AM »
Yes it was ordered by the executive branch, because he is the Commander in Chief.  But the issue you raised is whether the war is "illegal."  I understand having that opinion, but it will not hold up in any court, military or otherwise, because Congress endorsed the war, at least twice, after it started, and we have a multinational force.  I think the "illegal" argument would be much stronger if the UN voted that it was unauthorized.    

Illegal?  Well shit, when the men who make the laws are the ones being discussed, the line gets fuzzy.

Did we attack a country because of what they MIGHT do?  Yes.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 10:48:35 AM »
I don't know.  I tend to think watering down the laws governing AWOL and desertion might encourage more of these cowards to run.  

Fewer cowards in the military means that the real soldiers would be a LOT safer in the field. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 10:54:58 AM »
Illegal?  Well shit, when the men who make the laws are the ones being discussed, the line gets fuzzy.

Did we attack a country because of what they MIGHT do?  Yes.

North Korea has advanced nuclear technology and indoctrinates its kids with anti-American propaganda.  So, we send in Diane Sawyer.  That's diplomacy at work.

But Iraq is filled with brown people who have oil.  So, we send in the U.S. military and can't even secure a single highway.

And gas is $2.91/gallon today for the working stiff. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 11:19:21 AM »
Fewer cowards in the military means that the real soldiers would be a LOT safer in the field. 

Perhaps.

I think overall though the benefit of maintaining "good order and discipline" by keeping these losers in would outweigh the detriment of mass defections.   

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 11:23:40 AM »
he jumped out a of a window and fled to california...of course he is guilty...

exactly..read the f**king fine print when signing your name...just because there wasn't a war when he signed up doesn't mean there wouldn't be one during his tour...

footloose and fancy free

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »
I don't know why this is even a issue.

You took an oath and you signed up.

You are obligated to fight where ever your government tells you to fight.   

Your opinion or your beliefs mean nothing because you signed up voluntarily.